Colour Name: 1600Mhz|Size: 8GB (1x8GB)|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 February 2013
[Please read the Update at the end]

This 16GB XMS Memory kit (2x8GB memory modules) is very good but the spec is not totally accurate and there should be a disclaimer to this effect. You even see a bold statement "Outrageously fast 1600MHz performance using 16GB of memory" with 1.5V spec shown a few lines below on the same page (unless Amazon corrected this as I have sent them a note pertaining to what I describe here) but this must be qualified.

Corsair's own website indicates that the 1600Mhz clock rate is achieved at 1.65V which is quite different from the 1.5V indicated here under Product Specifications. If you, like me, use this memory with Intel new technology processors (the latest i5 and i7 CPUs), then the DDR3 memory is controlled by the host processor using an on-chip Memory Controller Hub (MCH). According to Intel's spec, the on-chip MCH was designed to support DDR3-1333/1600MHz memory at 1.5V, and any memory voltage above 1.5V can shorten the life-span of the processor or even damage it. Hence, operating the memory module at 1.65V should be avoided.

This will not be an issue if an external memory controller is used (which may mean using with older processors), but I haven't looked into such scenarios as they don't apply to me; my interest is with systems using i5-3570K and i7-3770K processors (and many others that share the same Chipset such as the Ivy Bridge chipsets, e.g., Z77).

I think there should be a disclaimer for customers using this memory kit with Intel processors that use on-chip MCH for memory control (I think all Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge microarchitectures, perhaps earlier ones, use the MCH).

Update - 2013-02-18
This memory kit is exchanged for Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Kit which works as expected at 1.5V. Thank you Amazon.

Update - 2013-03-26
Corsair's website now indicates 1.5V instead of the 1.65V. As detailed under Comments link below, thanks to V. E. Brindle for pointing out the website correction.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2011
My self build PC has been running for 6 weeks with no issues and overall this RAM module was an excellent purchase. It offers great value for money compared to other 4GB modules and as it was only one memory module it provides better scalability for introducing further RAM modules to my system.

Timings are 9-9-9-24.
Windows 7 experience score is 5.9 (1x4GB module)

For those that are interested this is coupled with a Intel i5 2500 1155 CPU, Intel DH67CL Motherboard and powered by a 650w Ocz modular power supply.
1616 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2011
Purchased 4GB kit (2*2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 which are rated at 1.65V, however they work perfectly without any configuration in my AMD 890GX setup which has a DDR3 memory controller normally using 1.5V DIMMs.

As my motherboard ran the memory at a default 1333MHz (same as the onboard 1Gb/128MB sideport) I overclocked the DIMMs to run at their rated maximum speed 1600MHz, which can be simply achieved by either:

1. Changing the memory ratio from 6.66x to 8x
2. Or keeping the 6.66x memory ratio and increasing the HT Link from 200 to 240 MHz (HT Link bus speed becomes ~2400MHz)

This 2nd option requires further modifications as it is overclocking the system not just the memory, but this is best if you have a Black Edition AMD CPU as they have loads of headroom for overclocking.

When the memory is running at 1600MHz it is best to ensure the Memory SPD Timings/Latencies are set to CL 9
ie. 9-9-9-24 this will optimise the system memory stability. Often you may need to change the Command Timing/Rate from 1T (fine at slow speeds) to 2T.

The performance coupled with the lifetime warranty makes this is a 5 / 5 Star product.
on 30 September 2013
I've had my PC for over 3 years and recently decided to upgrade the RAM from 8GB to the motherboard's maximum of 16GB. RAM is the only piece of hardware I feel confident enough to mess with. After all, what could be simpler, eh? It just slots in and 'click', right? Err, not quite. I know this might be old news to someone used to fitting hardware, but I'll say it anyway: You MUST make sure the RAM sticks are seated correctly in their slots, AT BOTH ENDS. Even if you do as I did and slot one end in and then rock the other end in until the clip locks it, that doesn't mean it's seated correctly. You still need to check both ends of the stick. In my case the PC just wouldn't boot. The fans whirred but the monitor wouldn't come on and it just didn't make the usual boot noises. I hadn't touched anything else in the PC, just the RAM; it was just as it was when I first bought it. After what seemed like hours trying to get the PC to boot, checking and rechecking everything I could think of, I checked the RAM one last time. It turned out the sticks just needed a little more coaxing into the slots; with one last gentle push on both ends they clicked into place. Then hey presto! The PC booted as normal, and Windows recognised the new RAM. Job done!

As I write this I've only been using the new RAM for barely two hours and the PC seems normal. On the RAM itself, the sticks say 1600mhz though in the BIOS they seem to be at 1333mhz. I don't see what difference changing these values will do. I'll see how it goes.

I know to some people fitting RAM is the easiest job in the world, but I just thought I'd share what I went through, in case there are other 'newbies' out there as nervous as I was about fitting RAM. If I can do it, so can you!
on 27 August 2011
I just replaced my dead motherboard and processor but found that my new motherboard could not take my 4GB of DDR2 that I had been using so I decided to buy 8GB of this Corsair DDR3 instead. With the 4GB of DDR2 and and dual core processor that I had been using I found that some of my games such as Crysis Warhead had graphical glitches and a lot of vegetation popup. Whilst I waited for the 8GB to arrive I had to buy one 2GB stick from the shop in the interim just so I could use my PC to do work but I found that I was getting a high FPS and glitches (on games)but now the 8GB has arrived and I've installed it my new Intel i5 2500k fairly zings along and all the popup and glitches in the aforementioned game has all gone.

I don't know much about the technical specs of RAM but as I have noticed a considerable difference since I've started using it I can do nothing but recommend it.
on 25 May 2016
Computer memory is a tricky matter. In the past I have tried using memory which appeared to fit the spec and was cheaper than the "official" memory from the pc supplier - only to find that it did not work. So it is essential to check that the memory has been tested with the intended motherboard/processor - if not I would always follow the pc producer's advice and recommendations rather than try and save a bit of money by buying an alternative source which appears to satisfy all the requirements density (eg 2gigabit/4gigabit) voltages etc etc only to find it will not work. Corsair is a highly respected producer of memory (possibly the best) but I still needed to check before purchase that it would work in my system because it would be an expensive mistake.
on 18 May 2011
I installed this in an ASUS M4A77T MB (with AMD 955 quad core Black edition CPU) which already had 4GB of Patriot G Series 1600Mhz RAM installed, the timings are the same at 9-9-9-24 and it just worked straight off. I battered it with MemTest86 for a couple of hours, there were no faults and it's worked flawlessly ever since, no BSOD. I paid 38.49 + p&p and at this price it's a no-brainer, FWIW in this system Windows 7 Pro 64bit gives it a performance index of 7.5. Highly recommended, unless you're an extreme gamer who must have the very best.
This is RAM memory, so there is not a lot to be said about it. It's one of those things that either works or doesn't. Because of my experience with this I was fully prepared to give only a one star rating, but I've mellowed a little. What happened was this. I was building my first ever PC. I bought two sticks of this memory. Powered up the completed project and was thoroughly enjoying the fact that it all worked first time. I installed Windows 7, and while I was showing off my new creation it blue-screened and re-booted.

I assumed this was just teething troubles.

It wasn't.

The following two weeks were a nightmare with frequent blue-screens, and software crashes. Part of the problem was that I'd shifted to 64-bit Windows and was re-loading 32 bit software, and most of it just refused to work so I thought it was a 32/64 incompatibility. Internet downloads kept failing - but there was no pattern to the symptoms. I spent hours Googling for solutions and there was a hint that this could be a memory problem so I ran Windows Memory checker and that gave the memory a clean bill of health. Then I was describing my problems to a friend and they suggested it was a memory problem.

I took one stick out.

Computer ran perfectly for a week.

I took out that memory stick and replaced it with the one I'd taken out. The crashes re-started immediately.

I had a faulty memory stick. I was just thankful that I'd bought two. Had I only had one, there would have been no easy way to test it.

A friend who used to work for PC World told me that only about 50% of memory is good.

I returned the faulty stick to Amazon and rapidly received a replacement part so no problems there, but two weeks of my life were wasted trying to find out what I'd done wrong.

The memory has been working fine for over a month now (which is why I re-instated the stars).

When it works it's fine. When it doesn't it causes all sorts of random glitches that are not easily identified as a memory problem unless you are familiar with the symptoms.
on 29 September 2013
Outstanding high quality low profile RAM with heat stinks, When it comes to RAM there is not much difference between 1333Mhz and 2400Mhz it's more about how much you have and the latency of it, most games don't use much more than 4 to 8GB however am given to understand that if your using 3 monitors resolutions in gaming and maybe a 4th monitor (non gaming) obviously your going to utilize alot more than that and with 4K making it's way to market this is increasingly growing but these will come to a head in mainly the VRAM of your GPU and Clockspeeds etc. But for the next 4-5 year at least I would recommend just 16GB at most, as 8GB sticks are far to overpriced and are just silly as you will very rarely use that much, it's far more logical to just spend that money on a decent graphics card, CPU or motherboard (in that order) some motherboards even having 8 slots. RAM has very low voltage and runs very cool so is great for overclockers. In conclusion make sure all your RAM is of the same model as this can cause performance drops, it can even cause voltage spikes which can damage your RAM and motherboard.
on 25 September 2012
Corsair products are generally reliable and if there is a problem they are good customer services wise.
Plug and Play and working fine, the Windows Experience Index for anyone who wants a reference is 7.7 on out of the box timings.
After an SSD this (memory) is probably the next best upgrade for overall running smoothness.
The modules are 40mm in height if you are considering this in a low profile case.