Size: 8GB (1x8GB)|Style: 1600 Mhz CL11|Change

on 7 February 2013
[Please read the Update at the end]

This 16GB XMS Memory kit (2x8GB memory modules) is very good but the spec is not totally accurate and there should be a disclaimer to this effect. You even see a bold statement "Outrageously fast 1600MHz performance using 16GB of memory" with 1.5V spec shown a few lines below on the same page (unless Amazon corrected this as I have sent them a note pertaining to what I describe here) but this must be qualified.

Corsair's own website indicates that the 1600Mhz clock rate is achieved at 1.65V which is quite different from the 1.5V indicated here under Product Specifications. If you, like me, use this memory with Intel new technology processors (the latest i5 and i7 CPUs), then the DDR3 memory is controlled by the host processor using an on-chip Memory Controller Hub (MCH). According to Intel's spec, the on-chip MCH was designed to support DDR3-1333/1600MHz memory at 1.5V, and any memory voltage above 1.5V can shorten the life-span of the processor or even damage it. Hence, operating the memory module at 1.65V should be avoided.

This will not be an issue if an external memory controller is used (which may mean using with older processors), but I haven't looked into such scenarios as they don't apply to me; my interest is with systems using i5-3570K and i7-3770K processors (and many others that share the same Chipset such as the Ivy Bridge chipsets, e.g., Z77).

I think there should be a disclaimer for customers using this memory kit with Intel processors that use on-chip MCH for memory control (I think all Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge microarchitectures, perhaps earlier ones, use the MCH).

Update - 2013-02-18
This memory kit is exchanged for Corsair 16GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Kit which works as expected at 1.5V. Thank you Amazon.

Update - 2013-03-26
Corsair's website now indicates 1.5V instead of the 1.65V. As detailed under Comments link below, thanks to V. E. Brindle for pointing out the website correction.
44 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2017
Good for an upgrade or computer build. But, have had to send a couple back with errors. Corsair are very good at replacing them and give a lifetime warranty so you can take your time over testing them.

When you have installed them, it's best to run a Microsoft Memory Test (just type 'Memory' into the MS search box and click on the memory test app. When it come up click the top layer of hypertext. Your PC will restart and run the test).

If you ever get bad RAM, you will find your PC gives you a lot of BSODs (blue screen crashes). The key to diagnosing bad RAM is that these crashes will be for many different reasons (i.e not just IQRL alert.. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000, but for all sorts of reasons). It is then best to download the USB version of MEMTEST86 (it's free). It comes with instructions and free software to make a bootable MEMTEST86 USB. Then test each stick of RAM in by itself in each RAM slot (to make sure its not a motherboard fault. MEMTEST86 will find any errors and you can them raise a returns case at Corsair (takes about a week for them to send you new ones).

But hopefully yours will be faultless!
on 25 May 2016
Computer memory is a tricky matter. In the past I have tried using memory which appeared to fit the spec and was cheaper than the "official" memory from the pc supplier - only to find that it did not work. So it is essential to check that the memory has been tested with the intended motherboard/processor - if not I would always follow the pc producer's advice and recommendations rather than try and save a bit of money by buying an alternative source which appears to satisfy all the requirements density (eg 2gigabit/4gigabit) voltages etc etc only to find it will not work. Corsair is a highly respected producer of memory (possibly the best) but I still needed to check before purchase that it would work in my system because it would be an expensive mistake.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 December 2016
This is a well made memory chip offering a decent speed. It slotted into my motherboard without difficulty. I put 4 in my desktop in 2012 and one has now failed, which is slightly disappointing.

Here's a piece of advice you may find useful. When I started having trouble with my computer I ran various tests, including the Windows memory checker which I ran for 12 hours. It reported the memory was fine. I then made a USB iso of memtest (it isn't very hard) and that started reporting errors instantly.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2013
Outstanding high quality low profile RAM with heat stinks, When it comes to RAM there is not much difference between 1333Mhz and 2400Mhz it's more about how much you have and the latency of it, most games don't use much more than 4 to 8GB however am given to understand that if your using 3 monitors resolutions in gaming and maybe a 4th monitor (non gaming) obviously your going to utilize alot more than that and with 4K making it's way to market this is increasingly growing but these will come to a head in mainly the VRAM of your GPU and Clockspeeds etc. But for the next 4-5 year at least I would recommend just 16GB at most, as 8GB sticks are far to overpriced and are just silly as you will very rarely use that much, it's far more logical to just spend that money on a decent graphics card, CPU or motherboard (in that order) some motherboards even having 8 slots. RAM has very low voltage and runs very cool so is great for overclockers. In conclusion make sure all your RAM is of the same model as this can cause performance drops, it can even cause voltage spikes which can damage your RAM and motherboard.
on 25 February 2011
I currently have an Intel Core i7 rig with 3x2Gb of Patriot Viper 1600MHz memory and Windows 7 64-bit. The exact model of memory is no longer available for a perfect match and this Corsair XMS3 was the closest match with the same 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.65v and up to 1600MHz rated. I don't use the XMP so I will not rate this feature.

I placed an order on a Monday afternoon, it was dispatched on Tuesday morning and arrived on Thursday morning direct from Amazon with super saver delivery. That is impressive by any standards! The package was small enough to fit through my letterbox and arrived in perfect condition.

I opened my case and installed the RAM into my Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard DIMM slots in 5 minutes and so I now have two sets of triple channel memory or 6x2Gb = 12Gb. The BIOS and Windows 7 64-bit (note that 32-bit can only use 4Gb of memory) recognised the extra memory right away and the system booted up first time with no obvious issues so far. For the hardcore gamers out there, this did not appear to impact my overclock but has increased my temperatures by up to 5% with the memory controller on the CPU working harder to address all the channels.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with this memory, the performance is more than enough for current games and the price is good (other sites are cheaper but you pay more for delivery). Thanks Amazon.
This is RAM memory, so there is not a lot to be said about it. It's one of those things that either works or doesn't. Because of my experience with this I was fully prepared to give only a one star rating, but I've mellowed a little. What happened was this. I was building my first ever PC. I bought two sticks of this memory. Powered up the completed project and was thoroughly enjoying the fact that it all worked first time. I installed Windows 7, and while I was showing off my new creation it blue-screened and re-booted.

I assumed this was just teething troubles.

It wasn't.

The following two weeks were a nightmare with frequent blue-screens, and software crashes. Part of the problem was that I'd shifted to 64-bit Windows and was re-loading 32 bit software, and most of it just refused to work so I thought it was a 32/64 incompatibility. Internet downloads kept failing - but there was no pattern to the symptoms. I spent hours Googling for solutions and there was a hint that this could be a memory problem so I ran Windows Memory checker and that gave the memory a clean bill of health. Then I was describing my problems to a friend and they suggested it was a memory problem.

I took one stick out.

Computer ran perfectly for a week.

I took out that memory stick and replaced it with the one I'd taken out. The crashes re-started immediately.

I had a faulty memory stick. I was just thankful that I'd bought two. Had I only had one, there would have been no easy way to test it.

A friend who used to work for PC World told me that only about 50% of memory is good.

I returned the faulty stick to Amazon and rapidly received a replacement part so no problems there, but two weeks of my life were wasted trying to find out what I'd done wrong.

The memory has been working fine for over a month now (which is why I re-instated the stars).

When it works it's fine. When it doesn't it causes all sorts of random glitches that are not easily identified as a memory problem unless you are familiar with the symptoms.
on 10 December 2013
I had originally given these memory sticks a good review. I suppose they are like most electronics, if they work then they are good. But I've now had the RAM fail on me twice. It failed once and I thought oh well, these things happen i'll just get it RMA'd (sent back for repair/replacement) by Corsair.

Then when the RAM was returned to me, the note now says that I only have 30 days warranty on these repaired/replacement chips. So some memory I bought that was less than a year old broke...they were replaced by Corsair for free...but now I only have 30 days warranty on them. Sure enough, it's 6 months later and the same chips that were replaced under warranty have now broken again and I cannot have them RMAd because it's beyond the 30 days.

So their "lifetime warranty" is a pile of dog poop since if you ever need to use that lifetime warranty it then becomes 30 days warranty. Even if your product is still under 1 year old. Considering the fact that now 4 sticks of these have broken , I think i'll be avoiding Corsair products from now on and sticking with a well known brand and one that won't try to screw me out of my warranty.
on 28 July 2015
OK first off.. Corsair make great chips and I have used the XMS3 range in previous upgrades with no issues.
This time however, I have encountered numerous problems regarding this chip and my system (AMD i3 processor 550@3.20Ghz running MS win7 home), have tried running it on it's own with no other XMS3s in the board and got ... nothing system went dead, whilst when running with the other chips installed .. got blue screen of death and slumberous error messages.
It is possible that I may have got a rogue chip (Nb I made sure that the chip matched my clock speed of my processor and other chips too) but I would advise caution when using this particular model chip.

Otherwise as stated Corsair do make great products.
on 7 September 2013
First off, this memory is good value for money.
It's also easy to install, having a low profile PCB protection. It certainly won't get in the way of most aftermarket, and any standard, CPU coolers.
The PCB protection is also pretty sturdy, meaning you're unlikely to damage the RAM as you install it. On the other hand, the heat dispersal may not be as effective as some of the more expensive modules. However, I don't think RAM overheating should ever be a problem unless you have serious airflow issues.
The packaging is minimal but suitable, with the module being in a plastic container in a cardboard box that prevents any movement. Also, the module itself is solid and has no moving parts, so any damage will most likely be caused either by the end user or the manufacturer and not the delivery.

If you're looking to make a reasonable and cheap upgrade, I would recommend getting one or perhaps two of these. More than 8GB is overkill for everyday and gaming uses.

However, do check with your MOBO manual whether it supports the amount and type of RAM you are installing.