on 22 April 2017
Great book to take you back to your childhood, some things will even jog your memory because you forgot it existed. Great read.
on 3 March 2017
Being two years older than the author, I identify so much with this well written book. A book that will make any person that spent their childhood in the eighties smile and mutter "oh yeah, I remember that, those, and oh, I forgot about that". You'll be pining for a time machine in a matter of minutes within a few pages of this book.
on 26 April 2017
Great fun and had me laughing on the train to work. Great reminder of the 80's for film music and fashion trends.
on 25 July 2017
Fun little read, and a good reminder of how great it was to be a kid growing up in the 80's
on 24 September 2014
Nah. It's "OK" but is more like an essay of one guy's memories from the 80s. Most things are included but I just didn't like the writing style. It's written quite sarcastically, yes we know the 80s gave us mullets, dodgy fashion and basic video games, but that's only when compared to modern stuff.
on 2 February 2014
Full of Americanism for no good reason (cookies...unless you meant the Maryland type?...middle school? Isn't that secondary school?) And the tendency towards listing can be....a bit pointless an doesn't discuss why said things at relevant (this is especially true of the film synopses ...perhaps anecdotes about things around the film's or when the author watched them) not to mention the over the top attachment to backtothefuture. There's also some things that don't ring quite true and seem to attach themselves to existing stereotypes of the eighties rather than actual recollection (for the record I am about 2 years younger than the author) with the recollections of his school years logically ending in the nineties, why would hai karate be involved? Did his dad have a bottle left over from the seventies? There are things that seem to belong in that category for the sake of adhering to a stereotype (I lived through the same period and only ever heard of the aforementioned after shave or indeed blue nun in tv programs discussing the seventies....now admittedly this may just be down to differing experiences, with Brut and babycham filling the same roles, but I am not sure) the anecdotes and discussion, an the heartfelt nostalgia are great, the bad imdb section is really really not.

I think it could do with a rewrite and lengthening to make it one personal to the writer.

Aside from that the content is great. (I can now prove the existence of hedgehog crisps to my dad, who forgot I ate them)

One major problem that had me on the verge of refunding the book was the sloppy formatting cutting whole chunks of sentences and pages off, with sentences obviously missing or being unfinished on some pages and totally unrelated new sentences starting on the next page making it obvious bits are missing somewhere. Possibly only on pages with pictures, but it made a frustrating read.
on 2 January 2013
This book is pretty harmless although it could have been so much better.

I think another reviewer has already pointed out that there are a number of mistakes (such as in the write up for Yazz and the Plastic Population's The Only Way Is Up which was released in 1988, not 1983 as stated) The author also mentions about a gazillion times over, until it gets a bit irritating, that his favourite film is Back To The Future and all he ever wanted was a hover board.

Ultimately this is a long trawl through all the things that a boy born in 1977 can remember about the 1980's and for me (born in 1970) it was all a bit obvious. I fully except the fact that the author has only listed his personal favourite movies, songs, TV shows etc - as it's his book and his right to do so - and as he was a child throughout the decade I can forgive the lack of "less-blockbuster-more-adult-orientated-films" among the list of the decades finest, but there is no mention at all of the likes of The Empire Strikes Back, Tim Burton's BatMan, Die Hard, Terminator, Airplane!, Trading Places, The Karate Kid, Gremlins etc etc. Indiana Jones only gets a cursory glance whilst we are treated to great write up's of Back to the Future, and even, erm, War Games.

Once you've waded through the lists of stuff, that chances are you'll remember anyway, the author does turn his attention to personal experiences rather than telling us that he used to chew Bazooka Joe's and ride a Raleigh Grifter. The page and a half that deal with the reality of taking a school coach trip with the guarantee of community sing-a-longs (He goes for The Wheels on the Bus. I remember Found a Peanut), someone puking, emergency wee stops and at least one kid climbing on the wrong bus was true to life and did indeed bring back many memories. There should be more of that and less of the long lists of things you can just Google if you wanted.

Oh, and no Danger Mouse, Run-Around, or cans of Quatro soft drinks? What's going on?
on 8 September 2014
FANTASIC READ AND SOME GREAT MEMORIES THANKU MICK JOHNSON
on 15 May 2013
What a fantastic book this is.... from the moment I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I found myself chuckling from chapter to chapter as I was transported back to my childhood. There are many 80's books that look back on politics and the state of the economy, etc and if that's what you are looking for then this book isn't for you... but if you want a time machine to help you remember the toys you played with, the songs you listened to, the TV shows you watched or the clothes you wore, then this is what you need!
on 9 September 2012
I know its a bit of a cliche, but reading this book I have been taken on a fantastic trip down memory lane. There are so many objects, toys, experiences, smells and tastes (Hedgehog Crisps!!) in this book I had forgotten all about. Reading this had the memories all flooding back to me and nearly every one made me chuckle or smile. The author guided me through all the experiences in a gentle and humorous style. I hope Mr Johnson writes more in this vain. I will certainly be first in the queue! Thoroughly recommended!