Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 May 2007
Deacon Blue always had more strings to their bow than hit single chasing pop songs. This album finds them taking a giant stride away from past pop nightmares and shows the real depth of talent for a good song and good musicianship only really heard on previous b-sides and album tracks. The album as a whole sounds like a band enjoying themselves, the production is warm and informal as are the arrangments.

It is such a pity that the record company hasn't felt the need to re-release this album to date. The singles are obviously available on the various compilations, but for me the songs are best heard in the context of the complete album. A perfect record, thank you Mr Ross and chums.
on 2 March 2009
Whenever the great and the good are asked for their favourite "most underrated" albums they tend to quote the usual suspects: The Las, the second Television album, Loveless and the like. These are great albums, but hardly undiscovered.

An undiscovered classic is something you can't even get your friends to listen to when you tell them it's sheer genius, so great is their prejudice. It's an album that can still make you tingle ten years on. An album that makes you think how fantastic your hi-fi is. Where you feel slightly embarrassed to be floating so happily in the sea of melancholy on some of the slower tracks.

I have never owned another Deacon Blue album, but I don't really feel the need. This one does it all. It is a true undiscovered classic. The rating of the other reviewers really does tell the whole story.
on 14 October 2004
I have been listening to this album for more than ten year and I never get fed up of it. In fact I know it so well that should I ever find myself stranded on a desert island without electricity I wouldn't even care because I can more or less play this album from beginning to end inside my head.
It's slightly more folky than some of DB's other stuff and the songs are a mix of rough and smoothe. I have always admired the sweet and sour quality that Lorraine McIntosh and Ricky Ross acheive and "One Day I'll Go Walking" is a great example. But the best song, in my view, has to be "Cover From The Sky", McIntosh's Solo.
Songs like "Goodnight Jamsie" and "James Joyce Soles" are a bit more off-kilter and to really enjoy take more listening than the rest. "Fellow Hoodlums" and "Day That Jackie Jumped the Jail" are up-tempo and tell strange and mad stories.
I could go on, but I love every song on this album and don't have enough time to praise them all. So I will end by saying that this is the perfect album. You will not regret owning it.
on 6 August 2016
A great album that was sadly under-rated given what had come before (especially "Raintown"), but one that stands the test of time really well and still sounds great today. The extra tracks and DVD add even more enjoyment. Who can't love Deacon Blue?
on 2 September 2006
Deacon Blue's finest album. Still listening after all these years - it stays 5* in my iPod!
on 10 February 2000
Deacon Blue's ability to have amazing melodies, coupled with unexpected and brilliant music behind it is fantastic. Sometimes the lyrics are a little hard to understand the point, particularly 'A Brighter Star Than You Will Shine', but as a whole it's a great package.
on 8 October 2015
This third proper album was a clear change from the previous album and takes a number of listens. I rate this album ; it would have been so easy to have done another "when the world ....." but they did a different style with lots of 70's keyboard style riffs - well done!
A great album from Scotlands finest.Best album to date in my opinion.Great songs are their chart successes like Twist+Shout,A Brighter Star+Lorraines solo effort Cover from the sky.If you like Deacon Blue buy it!If you dont buy it anyway you wont be dissappointed!
on 15 September 2013
A workmate loaned me this album a long time ago, I loved it straight away, I appreciate it even more now, the musicianship overwhelms at some points ,tingles on the back of your neck, a tear in your eye. You don't pick albums like this, they pick you. All the songs fit together, sometimes when Lorraine steps in its 'WOW' no wonder he married her. I hardly ever looked at the cover for song titles on this album, its a whole thing, sometimes you just have to listen!
on 19 September 2008
I've always loved this album. Now I'm playing a lot more bass in bands of my own, it's Ewen Vernal's playing on this album that comes to mind as being inspirational.

I re-bought this album on CD 2 weeks ago and its been on my mp3 loads since. Turns out Ewen plays on another of my all-time favorite albums, Hue & Cry's "Stars Crash Down".

Bass playing aside, it brings back so many happy memories for me. There's some great songs on this album, and the production sounds as fresh as ever.

Should be in every bass players collection!