on 22 June 2014
Amazon really needs to seperate DVD and Blu-Ray reviews. There is no reason to combine them. When I bought the DVD in 1999, I would have given it 5 stars. The Blu-Ray I am giving one star because IT LOOKS WORSE THAN THE DVD!

I know that Universal is bad about not doing new transfers for Blu-Ray releases, but this is a travesty. Have you seen the Young Frankenstein Blu-Ray? Yeah, this is worse.

This film was originally released in 1999 on a 4x3 letterbox DVD. It looks like the exact same scan was used, with someone who had no clue what they were doing blindly applying digital filters to it. Truthfully, get the DVD and just do a zoom on it, it will look better than this mess.

First, the disc has like 20 subtitle tracks, and the disc menu, like most European discs, pops up and ask you what language you want. It defaults.... to CHINESE!!! What the heck!Oh, if only this was the worst of the issues. After a half dozen warning screens, we are dropped into a menu with a video playing in the background that is obviously SD video. And the music starts in the middle of a word to a song. So poorly authored disc.

Then you hit play, and you are presented by this beautiful Universal studios logo in breathtaking 1080p, followed by the production company's logo - and its all jaggied. Obviously rendered at 480. Then we are dropped into the hall of the school, and that is when the mess starts. Grain is frozen on the screen. It looks like they used a fine grain film, so the noise is everywhere. What is bad is the grain is actually frozen in the color from the first shot, which means kids are running through this multi-colored noise. The text is almost unreadable.

But the DNR is not the only issue. It looks like some poorly done framerate conversion was done. This leads to blurryness anytime there is a camera pan or fast movement.

You notice a lack of detail in everything and start to wonder if this is actually an SD upconvert. This is confirmed when they throw open the doors and Donny walks in - there are SCANLINES in the door!

So I started to get disappointed. Maybe this film was originally shot on tape, and they tried to clean it up for Blu-Ray (badly) and then... You start seeing film spots and scratches and hairs in the video.

Then you start seeing ringing and halos around Donny and other characters.

Then Donny invites the kids to the stage as he is singing "Any Dream Will Do" and you see these blue streaks all over the kids, and you realize it is frozen film grain from the smoke and the blue lights that has frozen in place over these kids faces. It's awful.

So how about the sound. I was very excited to see that it said DTS-MA 5.1. Don't be fooled - it is the exact same Dolby Digital track from the DVD. Actually, no, its not, it sounds worse - possibly from the conversion from one audio format to another. This shouldn't be the case, but this is way flatter sounding than the DVD ever was.

This Blu-Ray is a nightmare! Everything that could be wrong with a digital transfer is wrong here - HORRIBLE DNR (I am okay if DNR is done correctly, that is not the case here), scan lines, contrast blown out of proportion, macroblocking, aliasing, ringing and halos, and an SD upconvert.

This disc is a travesty. It has no redeeming factor. Do yourself a favor and pick it up on DVD - it really does look better than the Blu-Ray does.
16 people found this helpful
on 25 November 2017
This rating is based on the Blu-ray product, and the low rating is purely about the appalling editorial and quality standard of the Blu-ray transfer.
The film production which comprises the content, contrast sharply with this, and is a most marvellous musical, that deserves 6 stars (out of 5) - and is badly let down by the transfer.
Whilst the picture quality is generally higher than you would get from a VHS tape, - it barely rates as high as you would expect from a plain DVD. Pixellation and fuzziness is very evident, clearly demonstrating that no effort was made to remaster this wonderful production. I bought the Blu-ray as an upgrade for the DVD (for which the quality wasn't that good either). I needn't have bothered. The Blu-ray is purely a money-catcher.
I can only hope that the publishers either create a (far) better edition to replace this, - or pass the buck to a publishing house who can.
on 1 January 2017
Firstly - lets be clear that it gets 5* because it is a reasonable video of the stage play.
AND it stops my daughter watching it on UTUBE (again and again and again)
I have ADSL and so stupid data usage limits so the value to me of this DVD is in the saving on those.
In those terms .... MARVELOUS QUALITY PRODUCT
In terms of Donny O and the production, I am not able to comment :-)
My daughter OTOH would rate the production 5* but she was in the school play version and so thinks the whole thing is superb.
on 24 February 2017
This is a blu-ray copy of an original 30 year-old recording and while infinitely better than my VHS tape of the same recording it is of good dvd quality rather than 1080HD with a distinctive grainy reproduction. However, that said, the performance is brilliant with an excellent cast and a very clever 'spin' blending the studio footage into a school assembly location. Altogether an extremely satisfying re-issue of a classic musical.
on 1 May 2014
Don't know how many times I have seen this on stage (various leading men) with my daughter, who now has sons of her own, aged 2 and 4. We watched it togeether and were all singing the songs for days. Really good, except Pharoah was a little disappointing. Great voice etc, but where were those gyrating hips which we had loved in all the stage productions we have ever seen? My grandsons took this DVD home with them, I will have to buy one for myself - but I would prefer one with gyrating hips, even though Donny Osmond and the narrator (Joan Collins too), were all brilliant.
on 30 April 2017
Great to see it again and it still retains its freshness. Loved the superb cast and the setting. Wish I could give it 6 stars
on 9 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this. A bit of a nostalgia trip. Nice to see and hear Donny Osmond again and enjoy the performances of others in the cast.
on 4 July 2013
My 7 year old step daughter is performing this play with her school in a few weeks so I bought this DVD so she could watch and learn the story. I must admit I have never seen Joseph or wanted to. However I have been forced to sit and watch it over and over for the past 2 weeks and to be honest...I LOVE IT!!!!

Donny Osmond plays a cracking role and his voice is really good. I'm an 80s kid and would have preferred to have seen good ol Jason Donovan playing the role but unfortunately I could not find that version.

To that end I have to give this DVD a 5 out of 5 as it has made my step daughter happy and kept her entertained for weeks and has inspired her to put everything into her part in the play at school. And for me, it is just a fun play to watch. Especially the Joan Collins part "phwoooooaaaarrrrr" lol.
on 23 January 2014
I previously owned this on Video but as I no longer have an Video Recorder wanted to replace it with a DVD. Had been a little concerned when reading the reviews as one person who had it on BluRay was very negative about the quality however I did NOT need to worry as the quality is excellent, the picture is clear.

Absolutely fabulous version of Joseph set in a school assembly with the teacher's playing all the parts. An extremely enjoyable film for all the family which will leave you singing the songs for days.
on 15 June 2018
Good DVD of great show. It's a slight shame that the video quality isn't a little better - but it's over 20 years old now, so we can't expect HD! The quality is fine, it's perfectly watchable though. Sound quality is very good.