Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 September 2012
I'm listening to the album for the first time as I write this. I've seen some of the other reviews track-by-track so please read them if you want a review of the music - I'm really here to moan about the packaging. The 5 stars are for an amazing band.

The Killers' website advertises the various formats in which the album is available. I liked the look of the 'Special Edition' with the extra tracks and the 28-page collector's hard case booklet. OK, the price is in Dollars but I thought for an internationally renowned band I could pop along to my local retailer in the UK and buy it. There's no reference to 'US only' or anything so I assumed the worldwide release would avail the same formats to each territory....particularly a territory that made the band in the first place, the good old U of K.

Anyway, what I found was a 'Deluxe Edition'. Now, to me 'Deluxe' trumps 'Special' any day of the week. Special is an over-used word yet Deluxe is saved for those EXTRA special things in life.

The sticker that highlights the 'Deluxeness' of it by mentioning the key tracks and other 'deluxe' elements like a 'special' booklet (more of that in a moment) is always on the outer shrinkwrap with every band's releases. Why? I want this on the case itself. It's part of the cover. So, I carefully peeled it off and lovingly placed it in position on the cover. Now it looks right - all nice and shiny and it smells as it should. I have a problem, too, with these card gatefold covers that are easy to ruin with too much handling, fingerprints etc.

Inside you have the CD tucked behind Brandon and Mark on one side and Ronnie and Dave getting the short-straw on the other side. In the centre is the 16-page colour booklet. No, sorry, the SPECIAL 16-page colour booklet (actually the 16th page is stuck down so you can't see it so it's really 15 pages and the first one just has the Battle Born logo on, so make that 14). The booklet itself has some artsy pics and photos in - pretty standard fare. Plus, credits for each track and the usual management and packaging credits at the back. So, really special then. No lyrics, no thank yous, nothing. The only reference to us loyal fans is a helpful piece of info on what the band's website address is just on the off-chance we don't know.

I could almost forgive the rich-on-number-of-pages (ish) yet poor on content of the booklet if there was an extra disc. I would have happily paid a few quid more for a proper Deluxe Edition if there was a second disc behind poor Ronnie and Dave - a DVD of the making-of, an interview maybe, a video or two for Runaways and the next single perhaps or even the smart trailers the band released for the album. There's clearly plenty of footage out there so why not put it in the non-standard formats for the album? They did this for the first two albums (although they may be later editions and maybe only imports, I don't know, but I have them. There isn't one that I know of for Day & Age, though, unfortunately. I'd like to know why)

Essentially, then, for the Deluxe Edition we've got a few extra tracks and that's it. The Special booklet is no more than I'd expect with liner notes in a standard CD. I'd also have preferred a standard jewel case - nice and robust which will protect the shinyness inside and NOT a cardboard gatefold that already has too many fingerprints on and is only a matter of time before the corners lose their sharpness.

I have other CDs with bonus tracks that do not gratuitously claim to be Special or Deluxe. In fact Day & Age had a UK edition with bonus tracks. That's how this format should have been pitched - no special this or deluxe that. I like the music so far with a few stand-out tracks but as an overall deluxe package I did expect more from my boys.
on 27 November 2012
Great new tracks - well worth the wait for Killer fans - you will not be disappointed. Buy it now.
on 28 August 2013
this does not miss a heartbeat. great to listen to over and over and over. You will love it too!
on 18 January 2013
Bought this for my dad for xmas, he loves it. might have to get a copy for myself. great cd.
on 23 February 2015
Oh, I do like it when a cd arrives on the first day of the dispatch period quoted. Thanks.
on 23 September 2013
Love this CD. Keep it up boys and will see you on the beach in Dubai at Sandance in Oct.
on 10 March 2016
Excellent
on 4 February 2016
Brilliant
on 19 February 2016
Great cd
on 26 July 2015
Fantastic cd.If you like the killers, this is a must. Great driving cd!