on 13 July 2013
Whilst the obligatory is good, and the parts of the book with pug, Eric, nakor etc are very good I found the character of roo who is given most prominence here to be far to unlikable to make this easy to read. I can see the importance of this character to the overall ark but find him to be too foolish in some areas to believe with everything else we learn about him. Overall this was the first book in the series that I found I had to consciously try to read rather than just allow straight through.
on 4 April 2013
4 stars as this book develops the characters well from the first book with a slightly unusual story for a fantasy book. The reason it did not receive 5 stars was the reliance the book has on both the first book for setting the tale and the third for not having a satisfying end.

Easy to read, strong characters with the main character showing selfish shortcomings and dubious morals.

As with the first book some fantasy readers may be disappointed with the book as the lead characters are neither blessed with magic or super human abilities of any sort, although the main character is blessed with great business sense (no sucker is given an even break).

Still want to read more from this author such are the strength of character development and the general quality if writing.
on 4 November 2013
engaging plot focused on a character who was introduced in a previous book.
Well written story whitch moves at a good pace.

Feist has a tendency to re-explain characters' actions or motivation which has been described previously.

The whole series of books, starting at "Magician" is engrossing.
on 31 March 2018
A OK THANKS
on 27 September 2013
A complete change of scene, mixed with dark evil. The balance of this part of the saga is wonderful. The world of krondor commerce is brought to life impeccably and the mystery of the pantathians is developed further. A superb read which has more than enough highs to keep you going. I couldn't put it down.
on 3 April 2013
Having survived his visit to Novindus, a pardoned Roo sets about making his fortune back in the Kingdom. Pantathians, beings from other worlds and old and dearly loved character or three return to make his life a bit more exciting than he'd hoped. Meanwhile Erik finds himself up-to-his-neck in the mire again.
on 19 May 2015
I loved this series of books. Feisty has always been my favourite writer. Now I have the pleasure of introducing my son to him. As always these saga's keep ones attention till the end. And always wanting more.
on 5 December 2016
one of my favbourites
on 24 August 2013
Fascinating reading for my husband for whom I order via Amazon. Not been disappointed so far. Cannot find enough time to read but will get there!
on 23 October 2016