on 14 December 2012
This is a handy set of parts to start experimenting with electronics, containing a 555 timer, transistors, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, wires and a BreadBoard. The booklet explains the components well, but is a bit short of example circuits to make, although these are easy enough to find on the internet. I think the booklet should take things a little further and that's why I didn't give it 5 stars.

That said, the range of components is well thought out and it's excellent value as otherwise to buy a variety of parts like this you'd mostly have to buy far more than you need to learn with, and probably spend twice as much money. The breadboard on its own would cost £4+ on Amazon.

A good companion to this set would be the cheap digital multimeter at £5-£7.
on 9 November 2014
This is a great starter set for anyone starting up in the hobby and wanting to build up a basic electronics kit. The set is good value for money, you get a good selection of basic components that will get you up and running for a small cost.

The booklet contains a description of all the parts you get and what they do. I found the descriptions to be very clear, well written summaries of each part. The booklet then goes on to show you 5 projects to do. Experiment 1, involving the simplest of circuits, gives you a detailed description of what to place where.

From experiment 2 onwards they give you a circuit diagram and a photo of the circuit with a description about what the circuit does. These are very short projects and if put them together correctly, could take you less than 10 minutes each. To do these projects I would however recommend that you do a little bit of internet research about basic electronics or get yourself a copy of 'Electronics for Dummies' like I did to gain a basic knowledge of circuitry and how to read the symbols.

I made all of the circuits in the set successfully, however I did have a few problems with experiment 4 which has a few errors. Firstly I found the photo to be very misleading, as it really didn't show the circuit that's in the diagram (I also tested it and it doesn't work!) so it's best ignored.

Secondly, the diagram has been cut off at the edges in a few places. Pin 3, 5 and 1 of the 555 chip as well as the capacitor should have lines following round to the negative battery terminal. Also the resistor and LED symbols are missing from the right hand side of the diagram. After setting up the circuit correctly, I was confused by the fact that the LED was on constantly. In the end I worked out that it was flashing (using an equation in my Electronics for dummies book), but the flash was so brief (it was nanosecond short!) that I couldn't see it!

To correct this I used a 1M ohm resistor instead of a 1k ohm resistor and a 470k resistor between pins 7 and 2 instead of the 470 ohm resistor. I would suggest that anyone wanting to make this circuit for the first time should use the resistors from the kit with the highest resistance (I have since bought a few other resistors so I can't remember what that is) and maybe also a capacitor with a higher value (all three of these affect how long the light flashes for).

Despite this error, this is still a great set, but more for the fact that it offers a great value for money beginners components set than for the booklet. Although I do find that the resistor colour code on the back of the booklet is extremely useful. I find myself referring to it regularly. My 'solderless' breadboard is well used as well as the various resistors, electrolytic capacitors and LEDs. This kit has saved me from spending much more money on start up in this hobby. This set is a great foundation for anyone with a growing interest in circuitry.

I give this set four stars, as it is fit for it's intended purpose as an inexpensive starter set well.
on 29 June 2014
Excellent product everybody should have one or to of product excellent working 100 percent ok speedy delivery excellent that is why i give it five stars excellent Electronics Projects Starter Kit with Breadboard
on 29 January 2014
Please don't be put off by the reviews about the booklet. OK, it is a bit basic but as everyone has the internet now, a comprehensive instruction book is unnecessary and would add to the cost. In the short time I have had this kit I have made about 12 really interesting circuits, I have blown up an LED and learned more about electronics than in the previous 40 years. There are loads of components, and although rather small, the breadboard is well made and sturdy. If you want to get started in electronics as a hobby, I highly recommend this kit to get you going. Search Youtube for tutorials (some of them don't have music so you can hear what the person is saying!) and make some simple but interesting stuff. All you need is a 9v battery, some needle-nose pliers and away you go. I also purchased one of them Helping Hand things which is useful for soldering but not necessary with the breadboard. Very highly recommended.
on 21 May 2013
I bought this kit because I was interested in learning a bit about electronics. The kit has plenty of components and an helpful guide book. I particularly found the section on resistor colour coding useful. If you want to get into electronics whether for school / college or just an hobby. I fully recommend this kit
on 19 January 2013
This kit is good value for money. The provided instructions explain what the components are. Only a couple of example circuits are given, but more circuit diagrams can be found easily on the Internet.
on 17 October 2013
A good selection of components but I bought it hoping the booklet would have some examples that I could experiment with but the is very little examples to follow. only 1 showing the breadboard and 3 circuit diagram but no demonstration for the product I have just bought, therefore not much help. I will have to buy a book which doesn't make it as much of a deal as it first appeared. the booklet is a bit of an over statement of what it is, it is a discription brief of the components not much more. I would recommend the kit but buy a proper book with it.
on 26 April 2014
The selection of components was good and should provide enough to do some basic experiments with. The included 10-page booklet includes a useful description of each component type in the kit and has 5 very basic experiments:

1) Light up an LED
2) Alternately flash Two LEDs using resistors, capacitors and transistors
3) Adjust brightness of an LED using a variable resistor (Voltage divider circuit)
4) Flash an LED using a 555 Timer Integrated Circuit
5) Using a Transistor as an amplifier

The kit provides components of different strengths (e.g. resistance and capacitance) and encourages you to modify the included circuits with these different strength components so you can see how they affect the circuit (speed of flashing, or brightness of the LED)

I expect this booklet is subject to change though, and they will no doubt make changes over time based on feedback. There are some additional circuits on the manufacturers website that you can try.

The instruction booklet is minimal, but adequate. A total beginner may find reading the circuit diagrams a little confusing, and it may take a bit of thought to figure out how to lay these out on the included breadboard. But I think that's half the fun! If they told you step by step how to place each component on the breadboard it would take away from your sense of achievement when you get it working. They do provide photos of the finished circuit on the breadboard though, so you can try to copy that if you are stuck.

Note that if you are intending to give this as a gift, it is not a boxed product (at time of writing). It is in a clear A4-sized re-sealable plastic pouch. But it is very neatly layout out with the components in little labled pouches that are stapled to thin card. Also you will need at least a pair of wire cutters like this: Draper DIY Series 09400 160 mm Diagonal Side Cutters with PVC-Dipped Handles. Some pliers like this: Silverline 282430 Needle Nose Electronics Pliers 150mm will make it less fiddly to put the components in the breadboard but you can get by with just your fingers. A wire stripper like this (Silverline 282479 Wire Stripping Pliers 160mm) would be useful, but you can use the wire cutters to strip the wires if you are careful. Note that I'm not recommending those particular products, as I've not used them but just giving you an idea of the type of tool. You can buy cheap toolkits that contain these tools. You can of course get them from Amazon but if you don't want to invest a lot of cash you can get perfectly usable (though poor quality) tools from high-street discount stores for £1.

In summary, I think this kit is good enough to "spark" an interest in electronics, and provides a good enough range of components that you can look online for more circuits to build. Without buying extra components though you will be limited to experiments that flash LEDs. In the booklet, the manufacturer recommends buying the book "Make Electronics: Learning by Discovery" to go with this kit.

If I could improve this kit, I think it might be worth including jumper wires for the breadboard to avoid the requirement of cutting and stripping wires. But those would likely increase the cost of this kit by a few pounds and may put it out of the price-range people would be prepared to pay for?

Once I'd finished this kit I bought the much more comprehensive kit from this same manufacturer (Electronic 1100 Component Selection suitable for MAKE: Electronics). That larger kit includes other output components such as a motor, buzzer, speaker, infrared transmitter, 8 segment display as well as a much larger range of other components.
on 8 October 2013
A great little starter kit, Well worth the money- You will have to go online to search for examples of what you can create- Although a few examples are given- Very Happy with it.
on 7 August 2013
I'm happy enough with the included components but I was expecting more from the instructions. They provide a brief overview of the included parts and how they work but they might confuse a novice (like me) as they mislabel the ends of a diode claiming that the stripe is at the positive (anode) end which a quick Google search will confirm is wrong. The included projects are two circuit diagrams they state were taken from Google and they suggest the user does a web search to learn more.

See one answered question