on 1 November 2012
At less than £5 this adapter is 25% of the price of the official Apple one and looks almost identical. It fits into the Thunderbolt port on the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display and will also fit standard mini-display ports on older models. A simple plug & play job; hooked straight up to my external VGA monitor and OS X picked up the display immediately without the need to go into system preferences. A perfect, vastly cheaper alternative to the Apple adapter.
on 14 January 2014
It worked perfectly when inserted, it seemed slightly dodgy as a slight nudge would disconnect and reconnect the monitor. However this wasn't an issue as long as it worked! Unfortunately after 5 months or so my screen began cutting out with no cause, until it finally died with a "No VGA cable detected" display. I tested the adapter and monitor to ensure it was the adapter at fault - it definitely was the adapter. So now I'm stuck to one monitor and may well buy a more expensive adapter in the future.

Summary - Fairly cheap, but then it is cheap! Maybe I was unlucky with mine, but don't expect this to last longer than 6 months.
on 29 October 2012
The product arrived on time. It simply works. Very good value for money. Picture quality is good. The only potential problem is my VGA cable won't screw together with it. I am not sure whether that is the fault of my vga cable screws not being long enough or the holes be slightly too deep. Fit is snug and the cable hasn't fallen out even though it is dangling and not laying flat. I am using it with a Mac Mini.
on 20 December 2013
Some reviewers have said the screws don't engage and I can definitely see what they mean but I find if you push the plug and socket very firmly before turning the screw they engage OK and have given me no problem at all. Note, you need to do this from the first time as once you strip the thread there's no going back. Also after this first somewhat aggressive connection, subsequent connections seem much better.

My computer does freak out if I just unplug the MDP while in use and one time it caused a MAJOR meltdown (had to wipe and restore the hard drive from timemachine) this happens with the other non Apple branded cable I have but not with the real thing and Apple seem to be well aware of the issue. I actually blame Apple for this and not the cable manufacturers as Apple have clearly made it difficult for aftermarket manufacturers to produce connectors that work properly (the cheapest, nastiest stuff always seems to work just fine on PCs). -one argument to stick with PC wot!

Anyway just a warning, log out or switch off or whatever your second screen before pulling the plug -and make sure your back up is up to date too (just in case).

Overall a decent product at a much, much, lower price than Apple.
on 19 January 2014
After about 6 months of use there was a faint ghost image slightly to the right of the normal one and when I pulled it out of the port, the plug stayed in my graphics card's mini display port while the cable came free and damaged my card. Furthermore, after almost a month of communication with the seller they still aren't willing to send me a replacement.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2016
Using this for my non-hd projector.
Does a great job if you're wanting to do this to a non-hd display from an apple macbook.

Feels plastic-y although works perfectly - no setup needed just plug and play :)

Product description at time of review:

Mini DisplayPort 1.1a compliant receiver offering 5.4 Gbps bandwidth over 2 lines
Integrated triple 10-bit, 162 MHz video DAC for analog VGA signal output
Supports up to 1080p, 1920 x 1200 reduced blanking video resolution
Note: For few display cards, the image would not appear until the PC enters into Windows from DOS at the time of restarting.
Package included : 1x Mini DP Male to VGA Female Adapter
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2013
This product really is great. At a fraction of the price you would pay on the highstreet for a branded version, the price is great for fantastic product. All I need it for is occasional use of plugging my laptop into a larger external monitor. I constantly leave this plugged in via the VGA from the monitor and plug in my laptop as and when. It takes about 2 seconds for the connection to register and the display to show. I have no issue with connectivity ever and it gets battered a bit as I am constantly moving it around and throw it about. But this generic product really is fantastic and I have no qualms about advising anybody to get it!
on 17 November 2013
a saw a few people say this doesnt work, it does work, as usual i made life hard for myself, i own a thunderbolt to hdmi but wanted this to connect macbook pro to projector, it didnt work, failed to register or detect, so as i had just installed mavericks and saw other people have issues like this i decided to go back to lion, never installed mountain lion, while waiting for this to install i found a guy who posted a fix, oops forgot his name now, it was a blog douglaslane or something, he said he had undetected issue with a projector and an apple genius did a couple of quick system resets and it worked in under a minute, the apple guy reset gmu, a simple matter of booting holding some key or other and by reseting the video settings cache which i cant remember right now, however it was an equally simple reboot holding keys in, so, i dont know if i needed to do these resets or if simply going back to lion made it work, but it works at full native res beautifully on epson w02 projector
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2013
Got these to hook up two HP LCD screens to two Apple Mac minis.

I had some concerns based on customer reviews but here is my experience.

Firstly, the two adaptors were packed in separate bags in separate padded envelopes. While I am an advocate for minimal packaging, I felt that the extra packing was justified. Anti-scratch plastic wrap was on both devices.

The plastic cases have a translucent quality that is unlike Apple branded equipment. But you get what you pay for and Apple's devices are simply too expensive for our department budget.

I plugged in the first adaptor, tightened the securing screws and plugged it into the Mac mini and Monitor. The Mac mini started up and the screen image is excellent.

The second adaptor was more tricky. The securing screws for the monitor plug did not engage. The adaptor was plugged in and worked as expected - perfect picture.

I took it apart carefully and discovered it is a quality control issue. With a sharp craft knife, I trimmed the excess plastic that had been part of the injection moulding process. Five minutes of work and the adaptor was connected securely to the monitor cable.

You get what you pay for. Just be aware of this.

These adaptors do exactly what they are supposed to do. At this price, you may be lucky and get a good one but you may also need to be a bit forgiving and a bit innovative to correct a bad one.
on 2 February 2013
Used little. Nice cable, nice feel, deliver flawless image, not inexpensive at almost 6 pounds with postage, but cheap alternative to other adapters. The screws from the vga cable doesn't fit smooth into the adapter but they went in.

See one answered question