on 28 August 2012
After seeing the UK touring production of "TOP HAT" last year I was thrilled when it was announced that a cast recording would be released as I really want to use the music with my adult tappers (I'm a tap dance teacher!!). I received the new CD today and it doesn't disappoint in the slightest and in fact I'm typing this review as I'm listening to it!!!! As you would expect the vocals from Tom Chambers, Summer Stallen and the cast are all superb and if you've already seen the stage musical then you will know that they added more songs to the stage show as in the film version of "Top Hat" there were actually not too many!! As well as "Top Hat, White Tie And Tails", there's "Puttin On The Ritz", "Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain)", "Let's Face The Music & Dance", "Cheek to Cheek", "The Piccolino" and many many more besides!! The orchestrations are also superb as are the musicians and the production quality really is fantastic!! Loved the background 'tapping' on some of the tracks too!! (I wonder if Mr Chambers provided those taps????)

All in all I'd say that this cast recording is just delightful and I would highly recommend it!!!! It certainly made me want to put my "Top Hat, White Tie And Tails" on and go dancing!!!!

Now where did I put my tap shoes??........
on 26 September 2012
For anyone that has seen the show this will be a fantastic reminder of what I'm sure was a great night out. The Irvin Berlin score is great with great performances by the leads - ok Tom Chambers hasn't got the best singing voice in the world but what he does have is charm and charisma. Scarlet Strallen sounds devine in my opinion.

My only disappointment is that the tapping in act 1 appears to be tapped by one person as opposed to the big ensemble routines that you have on stage. Not sure why the producers thought that this method would translate well on to the cd. Other big tap shows like the new broadway cast recording of 42nd street managed to get the mass tapping onto cd very well. That's the only trick they have missed with this otherwise superb recording.
on 5 August 2013
Bought this after seeing the show in London. Both the show and CD are fantastic!! You can't help but sing along from start to finish and before you know it, your feet are attempting to tap dance under the table, even though they don't know how!!
on 29 June 2013
One of the best cast albums of 2012. The show is amazing and the cast is sensational. Just to have this production recorded is brilliant. Just to hear this music recorded in the quality that can be recorded today (as opposed to technology in 1935 when the movie was made). Wonderful orchestrations, that stay true and faithful to the flavour and sound of 1935. A wonderfully constructed musical and does take liberities to try and modernise it, but keeps it stylish.
The only downside is that due to rights issues, they could not include a wonderful ensemble number called "A Hotel In Belgravia" and some of the wonderful incidiental music.
on 12 April 2013
This soundtrack to the new production of Top Hat sounds great. I brough the soundtrack as I was unable to go see the original cast down in the West End, and just by listerning to the soundtrack I feel like I've seen the show. The cast sound great and its wonderful to hear such classics as 'Top Hat, White Tie and Tails', 'Dancing Cheek to Cheek' and 'Puttin' on the Ritz' to name a few.

If you a musical fan, whether it from the Golden Age of Musicals or now, this is a great musical recording.
on 16 September 2013
Loved the show - love the music. The original sounds very dated now but the new recording has breathed new life into this marvellous score!
on 8 October 2013
Wonderful recording of a wonderful show - makes your feet start tapping and lifts the spirits immediately chasing the blues away!
on 23 May 2013
Bought this CD after seeing the show in London and have not regretted doing so. It features the original West End cast, including the excellent Tom Chambers and each time my wife and I play it the music evokes a pleasant evening we spent watching this show with friends. The music is light and soon has the feet tapping. It helped to have watched the show first, but this is not a direct requirement because the music is self contained, jolly and a joy to listen to.
on 3 February 2014
A real musical that's a delight from start to finish . A tuneful score by Irving Berlin , musical director Dan Jackson moves it along with a real 1930s swing , sung by the original London Cast . Tom Chambers and Summer Stallen both excel . The song , Outside Of That ,I love You ,sung by Vivien Parry and Martin Ball is a real delight . I was lucky enough to be given this as Birthday gift , but if you buy for yourself , you are in for a treat .
on 8 November 2013
I have only ever heard the film score (Astaire and Rogers), so it was a delight to listen to this performance on stage.