on 2 August 2013
If you like this album there cannot be much going on in your mind... Or maybe you are a 14 year old girl that wore one of those awful flower garlands and feels that The Lumineers wrote an awful bit of 'music' just for you. I strongly feel you people giving this album five stars should take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror (take off that flower band if you have one of those) and stamp on it and throw it at someone you don't like so they can become as stupid and horrible and meaningless like The Lumineers are.
I must add one more point. I know a young man that likes this album. He thinks it is good. Does he love the songs about true love and hippy summers together and dream of true love when this album is on? No. No he does not. He is actually a liar. He is actually a man with no heart. So yes young ladies out there. Just 'cause some chump likes The Lumineers and pretends he 'gets' the whole thing it doesn't mean he is actually a lovely young man that will stand by you and watch your hair blow about with all the flowers you placed in it.
Step away from the album and the flowers. Just stop.
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 March 2013
Having listened to this band following them being absolutely everywhere I can confirm that this is generic beard and banjo music of the worst kind.

This is sub-Mumford nonsense that makes their calculated hipster posing seem positively organic.

I would advise anyone considering buying this rubbish to seek something far less cynical or corporate possibly on Bella Union.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 December 2012
The Lumineers present something that, for me, has not been done before. I hadn't even heard of folk rock before, and to be honest I'm not that into folk music or country music. I happened to hear Ho Hey a while ago and feel deeply, insanely in love with it. Not only did I replay it constantly, I had it on loud speaker and sent links to everyone I knew. I don't ever do that with music.

This album is unusual in the sense that it doesn't just repeat the same songs of theme over and over like you hear in most 'modern' day albums. Each song, for me, has a simple meaning. All music, again for me, has to have a meaning and a good beat. This can be hard to find. For example, you can find music with a good beat but terrible lyrics, or vice versa. This album has lyrics that, though aren't complex to understand, have a beautiful meaning and a good beat to it, one that you put on when it's raining or when you've had your first break up. Songs that make you just want to get up and clap along.

Best Songs on the album (in my opinion):

1) Ho Hey
2) Submarine
3) Flowers in Her Hair
4) Stubborn Love

These songs are my favourite and are worth buying alone if you do not want the entire album. I personally would just buy the whole thing though.

Overall, I have found it impossible NOT to fall in love with The Lumineers - their lyrics, their passion, the beats and of course the music itself. Buying this will put a good spin on your whole day. And maybe bust your speakers with how loud you're going to play it. Also, don't hurt your foot stomping to Ho Hey like Jeremiah did!
11 Comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 October 2016
I bought this as I thought it would be a great CD for me and the missus to listen to on road trips. Being fans of Mumford and Sons and OMAM we thought this would suit our music in the car needs. After track 3, I was asked to eject the CD and put something else on. I'm not anti-folk but this did seem a bit pretentious and lifeless. I will give it another go later and see how I get on. I am just too fussy really when it comes to music.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 December 2012
The CD case is all scratched and the CD looks completely 2nd hand, not new as it was advertised. Disappointed. Rubbish Amazon. Dont think I'll bother with you next time - HMV for me
on 13 January 2013
Good songs but not great for boosting your spirits! Some songs can be a little bit tedious too as they don't really go anywhere.
on 11 January 2013
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 October 2012
Been playing this on a loop since i got it. many a toe tapper on the album and the others are just brilliant. If you like stuff like Bob Dylan, Neil young, Johnny Cash or even munford & sons then this is well worth a listen. I'm not one for leaving reviews or much of a writer but no comments ? come on this band WILL be huge !

a wee update :)

I had the privileged of seeing this band live In Glasgow last week. I'm no spring chicken and I've seen some of the greats perform live but i can say with hand on heart that that this was one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever been to. It wasn't the wow factor of huge pyrotechnics or fancy light shows. Plain and simple it was the music, the crowd sand along with every tune, plenty of interaction between the band and the crowd just made it all the better.

Live sounds just as good as recorded, I'd encourage anyone to buy this CD you'll like it just that little bit more every time you hear it.
11 Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 November 2012
This band could go places. They seem to have managed to produce something fresh, original and creative with the minimum of effort. I actually felt as though I was listening to them in the backroom of a pub in an unplugged session - the "warts and all" scratchy production might be a bit off-putting to some but not me. Outstanding tracks for me are "Dead Sea", "Stubborn Love" and "Charlie Boy".

Chill out and enjoy, then spread the word!
on 13 November 2012
I'd heard 'hey ho' on various adverts & tv shows so bought the albumn. I was not disappointed (which I have been by many single song purchases, 'Fun' I am talking to you!!)
I have listened to this almun at least 10 times in the past week, it really is excellent. People would liken it to mumford & sons I guess so if you like them I would recommend this to (even my incredibly fussy muso husband was impressed)