on 3 October 2016
I'm using a trial version of 3DS max 2016.

I've just got to chapter 2: Materials In Mental Ray and the materials browser has changed since this book was written. In fact "Pro Materials" which is gives several pages attention doesn't seem to be a name that is used in the software anymore.

I've not completed the book and so far I do like it, the chapter on materials has a lot of pictures and examples that show you how changing various settings affect the final render. They are still useful lessons, but it feels a little clunky as the interface that they show you has changed.

Perhaps I'll write a little more about it the further I get.
on 14 July 2017
Very good book especially the useful examples of rendering settings and what to change to affect various things, really taught me a lot about rendering - not the model building but the lighting and render settings.
on 15 August 2014
Arrived on time. Great read and instructive. My students liked it and found it useful.
on 4 July 2013
this book perfectly for who wants to start learn about 3d visual realistic. there are a lot of picture show what to do step by step. it's easy to follow. but this book don't contain a CD project file. you need to download project file from publishing's site.
on 17 June 2013
I find it very use full cant put it down still working through the tutorials So far so good would recommend it
on 9 November 2013
Honestly - get this book - it is incredibly well written and explains the various aspects of mental ray rendering very well. Highly recommended!
on 14 March 2010
I really enjoyed this book and learned an awful lot from both this and the authors web site. However I did not appreciate having to down load the appendices and extra chapters from the publishers site. It has the distinction of being the first book I have ever had to "patch".

Having said that I would still strongly recommend it to anyone trying to learn visualisation.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 February 2010
This really is one of the best books around for Realistic Architectural Visualization if you are using 3ds Max.

The layout of the book is very good and easy to follow

Updated and better even than the 1st edition.

Highly recommended to my students and used for my own development

Bob Morgan