1,372
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 May 2012
As I approach my 65th year, I have despaired at the direction of a great deal of modern popular music. Emilie Sande is, to me, a bright light in a dim world. She has great talent as a songwriter and a soulful voice that touches your heart. She deserves to succeed: a talent which could storm the World. A truly great soul singer.
11 comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 February 2012
This is a fantastic record, signalling a fresh, new emerging talent. Emeli Sandé has a great voice, great song writing abilities and a striking look. Couple that with her intelligent and grounded Aberdonian personality and wide ranging contacts in the music business coming out of her track record of writing songs for other people and you have an apparently sure-fire recipe for success.

You will have heard and noticed some of the singles released, but I first became properly aware of her from her appearance on Jools Holland, where she did a stripped down version of 'heaven'. I liked the breakbeats /trip-hop version which is the opening track on the album, but when you hear it taken down to an acoustic level you really appreciate the raw talent. To that extent the comparisons with Adele are inevitable (given that Adele now sets the bench mark and did a similarly impressive live take of someone like you on the same show, and not least because Emeli's first name happens to be Adele!)

This is a record varied in style. There are some excellent pop songs with full pop production, as well as slower more acoustic numbers. Her great voice and gift for melody are the linking threads, but some may find that range of styles detracts - sometimes this feels more of a showcase than a coherent album. But what a showcase! Subject matter for songs tends towards love: lost, found and yearned for. The lyrics however are often fresh and intelligent, and on occasion ('river') seem to transcend the human towards religious overtones (well that's my take anyway).

In summary, this is a great debut which will have wide appeal. Highly recommended.
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2012
This is a great album of well written and beautifully performed music by a genuine artist . . . BUT ..

I'm always disappointed when greedy record labels re-release an album with additional bonus tracks (usually just before the festive season). My main gripe here is the fact that fans will have already bought the CD when it was initially released - making it the popular hit they rave about. It's those very same fans who are left with the expensive and wasteful option of possibly re-purchasing the whole CD just to get a few bonus tracks by an artist they've already supported. What exactly are we supposed to do with the original release?

Honestly - does this cause anything but irritation and resentment?

It is a greedy and unfair strategy - record companies, please stop it!
55 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2012
I pre-ordered this album as I love one of the songs on it. I do this a lot and then find I don't really like any of the other songs. I'm glad to say that I love every song on this album.
on 24 June 2012
I first heard Emeli Sande in 2011 when her debut single "Heaven" received repeated airplay on the radio and shot to Number 2 in the singles chart. The use of very similar arrangements to Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" determined that this song would be an instant hit. It was a very smart move, propelling Emeli into the limelight. A few singles later and the album "Our Version Of Events" is released to massive critical acclaim. It is clear from the first listen that this girl is destined for stardom with her distinguished image, powerful well chosen Pop songs and beautiful pitch perfect vocals.

And it is the lead single and first highlight "Heaven" that sets the album off in style with powerful rhythms and vocals. The fourth single "My Kind Of Love" follows and is just as instantly addictive and melodic. "Where I Sleep" is a relatively short but sweet mid-tempo track with a lovely melody. Two inspiring and heartfelt ballads follow in "Mountains" and the beautiful piano led "Clown". The second single "Daddy" follows, speedening up the tempo once again and bringing back those powerful rhythms. However, ballads seem to be Emeli's prefered territory as the following three are superb: "Maybe" is a beautiful string led ballad, whilst the second highlight "Suitcase" is breathtakingly emotional and the acoustic guitar led "Breaking The Law" is raw and spine tingling. "Next To Me", the infectious brilliant third single and third highlight, follows but we return immediately to another sumptuous piano led ballad, "River". "Lifetime" is a pleasant enough uptempo Soul influenced number and "Hope" is another nice ballad, but Emeli's acoustic piano version of "Read All About It" brings another emotional moment and adds a fourth highlight to this wonderful album.

The 5 extra tracks on the newly released version of "Our Version Of Events" add even more beauty to this release. The gospel inspired "Wonder" is an addictive and cute fast paced Soul joint and is the fifth highlight. The sixth highlight of the album is the alternate version of "Breaking The Law" which is even more beautiful with a slightly revamped melody, the addition of flowing string arrangements, rhythmic bass and rolling drum beats - anthemic. "Easier In Bed" is a very cool and suave sounding Trip Hop influenced track and is yet again another highlight. "Beneath Your Beautiful", a duet with the very talented Labrinth, is a sweet ballad although Emeli does eclipse Labrinth a little just because she has such strong and heartfelt vocals. The final song, the piano led cover of John Lennon's "Imagine", adds a soft touch to the album and is just as majestic as when we orginally heard this during the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics.

Emeli brings a breathe of fresh air to the British music scene as she is able to cross genres and appeal to a much wider audience than other female artists have been able to accomplish in the past. This is something that she is able to do both naturally and effortlessly, a raw talent to be shared with generations present and future. A very promising debut album indeed.
on 29 November 2012
The variety of songs on this album is amazing. Emile sings in a style all her own and the songs she sings are very emotive and are a joy to listen to. Glad I bought it!!
on 21 May 2012
I don't listen to a huge amount of music but when I find something I like I have it on repeat. This cd was no exception. For some reason I am drawn to female artists, I love their voices and it is the only music I seem to enjoy. Emeli Sande has an amazing voice and her songs just draw you in.

What is great about this album is the variety in the style of the songs. From pop songs to acoustic numbers, to some hip hop and everything in between.

Next to Me is one of my favourite tracks, one I could listen do over and over again. Her voice is mesmerising and relaxing. Enjoyable and soulful. This is one album I will be listening to for years to come.

I am not over keen on Daddy, but that's the only one out of the whole album, the rest are fantastic. An excellent way to relax on the way home from work or chilling out in an afternoon. Not one for the gym or exercising, more chilaxing.

I love the Heaven song, it brings a tear to my eye every time I listen to it. The fact she is Scottish and writes her own songs is an added bonus. I think she is amazing and will go far. I highly recommend this cd to everyone.
on 23 April 2012
I only heard 1 track on the tv so was unsure what this album was like but was I suprised she has a fantastic voice and I feel this is one of the best albulms I have evr bought.
on 5 November 2012
Amazing album, well worth waiting for the special version, every song is outstanding. Emeli will be making music for a long time to come!
on 24 April 2012
I was reading several music magazine articles and came across this artist. The debut album will not be available in america until summer. I received it in good condition and love it. Hope people will give her a listen here.