on 8 May 2017
I loved this series when it first came out. So just had to buy it. Michaela is a very good presenter. It's a good buy if you like spooky history and old buildings.
on 12 January 2013
Most people love a good ghost story and this is an affable way to delve into the more brooding gothic underbelly of British history. The tales are told in a chatty sometimes tour guide over-dramatic way, but they're interesting tales enough. And the locations themselves make you realize that there's nothing quite like Britain when it comes to providing atmospheric spooky picture postcard settings. Often the buildings themselves ingrain characteristics of their own to tickle our imagination and psyche. As for the episodes themselves, perhaps they're a little short - barely 21 minutes - but in hindsight they do the job. The only criticism is that the DVD is a little expensive. £21's... The price more in line with a Blu-Ray release, but then again - JUST WHERE IS the Blu-ray??? For a modern series obviously shot in HD, this lack of providing choice for those of us with HDTV is quite frankly - inexcusable! There's also no Extras to speak of - nor any leaflet inside the box to help index each episode as a point of reference. So 5 stars for a nice gentle meander into ghostly territory with Michaela as a friendly host. But only 4 stars for the above 4 gripes. So here's hoping that any future Boxset that also contains Series Two will also be on the Blu-ray format, because all in all - yes - I did enjoy it!
on 9 April 2017
This DVD release covers the entire first series of Great British Ghosts and comprises two discs, each containing four half hour episodes. In each episode two different venues are visited. It is now virtually impossible to find this release at a reasonable price, so I can only suppose that there is something of a demand for it. I bought my copy second hand for about £25 and I thought that rather expensive. However, having watched the series, I must admit that it just might be worth it. The production – picture, sound quality, editing and composition is excellent, and Michaela Strachan is as ever an attractive, enthusiastic and engaging host. I found each episode thoroughly entertaining if a little short; I would have liked each one to have been longer. That said, it does give the series pace and leaves you wanting more.

It is also refreshing that Michaela is not afraid to call into question from time to time the so called authenticity of some of the evidence supporting the stories. This is a real positive, for we get none of the sensationalised antics of the Most Haunted type. So, if you are expecting to watch edgy midnight vigils, listen to mysterious bumps and noises, watch light orbs and moving tables or hear screams from the presenter and crew, there is none of that and therefore this series may not appeal to you. If, on the other hand, you like going on a tourist type ghost/history tour of a venue, then this is very much what this series provides. I found that there was as much if not more enjoyment to be gained from learning the history of the place being visited and the stories behind how the ‘ghosts’ came to be, as there was from the antics that they get up to. My favourite locations visited were the Mermaid Inn in Rye in East Sussex and the New Inn, Gloucester (I’m a sucker for ‘Olde Worlde’ pubs), but my favourite scary story concerned the Viaduct Tavern in Newgate, London.

Part of the cellars used by the Tavern today were originally part of the underground cell complex from the Giltspur Street Compter, an old remand prison, which took the overflow from Newgate Prison that was located across the road (both buildings have long since gone). Apparently, back in the 1980s, the then landlord was in this part of the cellars tidying up when the lights went out, the cellar door slammed shut and in the pitch black a snarling voice said “Just us two down ‘ere now.” Yeah. That’ll about do it for me.
on 24 August 2012
First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm grateful that this has been released on DVD. Quality programme, very enjoyable, hosted by the lovely, enthusiastic Michaela Strachan (a fitting choice). I remember her from children's tv in the 90's. The programme isn't like 'Most Haunted' or 'Haunted Homes' etc. - this isn't paranormal investigation, none of that here. The episodes feature reportedly true ghostly tales with the accompanying facts, fables, and footage of the locations. Michaela travels around Britain across eight 30-minute episodes to meet with house owners, pub owners, castle keepers, historians, nutters etc.

Because you really want to know, my favourite location was the Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker, how spooky.
Here is an undetailed (due to word limit) episode guide for you:

Episode 1 -
¤ Mermaid Inn and Old Town Gaol in Rye, Sussex.
¤ Michelham Priory in Hailsham, Sussex.

Episode 2 -
¤ The New Inn Hotel in Gloucester, Gloucestershire.
¤ Chavenage House in Tetbury, Gloucestershire.

Episode 3 -
¤ Woodchester Mansion, near Nympsfield, Gloucestershire.
¤ Village of Prestbury, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

Episode 4 -
¤ Red Lion Hotel in Colchester, Essex.
¤ Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker in Essex.

Episode 5 -
¤ Galleries of Justice in Nottingham.
¤ The Viaduct Tavern in London.

Episode 6 -
¤ Hellfire Caves in West Wycombe Park, Buckinghamshire.
¤ Ostrich Inn, near Slough.

Episode 7 -
¤ St Mary's Walk, Old Town Gaol, and the Black Swan in Devizes, Wiltshire.

Episode 8 -
¤ Grenadier pub in Belgravia, London.
¤ Smithfield Meat Market, Bartholomew's Hospital, and Ghost Lady of Cripplegate, London.

A few of the stories might be bogus, like publicity stunts or business promotion (as on any such programme or in any such book), who knows, but that's beside the point, for the most part they're entertaining, intriguing and chilling. The Great British Ghosts film crew only get the footage down, we, the viewers, can decide for ourselves which we do or don't believe. If you enjoy interesting and creepy ghost stories and abit of history, this should definitely satisfy you. However, some people have complained that the history isn't always quite accurate, so don't expect it to be and it shouldn't bother you too much. It's a shame but there we go. It's still very enjoyable and I recommend it for those of you who are interested in the paranormal.

For anyone who doesn't know, a second series has just started airing on British television (the Yesterday channel), so hopefully it will attract more viewers, and perhaps - fingers crossed - there'll be another dvd release.
99 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2012
Michaela is down to earth presenter who demonstrates a real interest in paranormal subjects. These tales are all filmed in the UK providing eye witness accounts of some terrifying encounters. Great Sunday afternoon TV.
on 4 August 2013
Nice to see the beautiful Michaela Strachen do this kind of thing. Never thought she had any interest in the Paranormal. Good to see a new face on the block for a change. Like to see more of this series.
on 20 October 2012
Very happy this is now out on DVD, I really hope series two will also be released, it is a very good well presented series, like the series you used to get in the 70s and 80s like the arthur c clark programs. no daft paranormal investigators or laughable mediums, just good old fashioned ghost stories told by the people who actualy see them, great stuff.
on 6 January 2013
I absolutely love this series. I've been watching it on Yesterday and, to me, it's the best tv series on ghosts that I've ever seen. I received the DVD as a Christmas present and it's great that I can now watch it when ever I want. I'll be really pleased when they release series 2 on DVD. And I hope they're making a series 3, etc. This is perfect for anyone who is interested in the real
life ghost stories from ordinary people. Buy it!!!
on 29 January 2014
I though that this and Series 2 are superbly told ghost stories. The best I've seen. I aim to stay in the Mermaid Inn in Rye soon..wish me luck!.
on 14 June 2016
I was excited to view this dvd, because of previous reviews, but what a disappointment. The video was basically a woman -the host going to haunted places and talking to people at these places who claimed to have seen ghosts. There were some "so called pictures" of ghost sightings from some people that claimed while visiting or staying at these places.
Basically a boring talk show and very disappointing..