#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 9 March 2013
We've had a few printers over the last few years and our latest old warhorse has finally bitten the dust :(

So, just looking for a budget but by no means inferior multifunction printer I spotted this one. Cannon Pixma has always had a pretty good name and after checking the specs out, thought I'd give it a go!

Before I go any further, after reading many comments on here saying there was no ink carts. . . there definitely was in this one! They were in a cardboard box along with the power cord. They are only testers that you may get 200 pages of print out of so you will need to buy another colour and another black cartridge. After shopping around, the inks are as cheap on Amazon as anywhere else so I've bought one of each myself.

In the box you get the printer, power cord, one colour ink cart, one black ink cart, set up cd rom and instructional booklet.
*There is no printer to computer cable in here at all* you will have to buy one separately. I've never seen a cable come with a printer, they don't.

The MP230 can print, scan and copy. Much smaller and lighter than previous ones we've owned but not cheapo/plasticky feeling. The paper input tray at the back flips down onto the printer to stop dust getting into it when not in use. The scanner lid has a bit of give on the hinges so if you wanted to for instance copy a magazine page the lid will still close over well although there's a thick-ish item inside. There is no capture tray for your printed copies as they roll out. You would have to put some sort of catch tray there or do what I do and just put a magazine or something just over a pages length from where they come out so they are dropped onto there. To access the printer cartridges for changing, you have to lift the actual scanner bed up.

In use I found it to be noisy but don't forget that this is a budget printer. There are no memory card slots, no WiFi option or cd printing either. The scans, prints and copies are good enough but. . .I wouldn't buy this to print photographs off to be honest. You will need a higher spec printer, For letters, documents and Amazon returns labels :) this is spot on.

A good budget printer but not for photographs, everything else and it's all good.
55 Comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 August 2013
This v modestly priced printer arrived beautifully packed and looking good. To quote another reviewer however, it proved "useless out of the box".Not only that ,but attempted installation mucked up one of my laptop wireless drivers causing lots of hassle. Worse than that, the interestingly named seller -to my great surprise and never before on Amazon- offered all sorts of feeble excuses to try to avoid a refund. "My system is incompatible" (not so), I had installed the ink cartridges making it "used"( !), etc etc and ultimately offered a grudging partial refund. I was saved by Amazon (5*) in the end. The words "touch" and "bargepole" come to mind.....
on 7 April 2013
This is a replacement for an earlier MP140 which had worked hard for three years. For the price, it is excellent value for money and is economical with the ink. We have had other brands of 'all-in-one' which, while cheap to buy used ink at a tremendous rate and had cartridges with about half a teaspoon of ink. Canon cartridges not only have more ink but the machine uses it at a more economical rate.

Would thoroughly reccommend this machine.

Update: The scanning options include being able to "stitch together" two A4 size copies to make an A3 which saves a lot of 'in PC' editing if one has to do much of this type of work.

The only disadvantage I have found is that it lacks the facility to make multiple copies in "Copy" mode.
on 12 March 2013
I was very pleased with this printer. Very easy to set up and have used it quite a bit since setting up and it is very easy to use. I am a pensioner so not savvy in new technology so I have to have easy instructions and these were exactly what I wanted. Very good price very easy to use and the ink is still working haven't had to change the ink cartridges yet, so quite impressed.
Delivery was very quick aswell.
on 12 April 2017
This is a good printerand the only thing that I can complain about it is that the ink runs out VERY quickly making it quite expensive to print. The ink is a total rip-off.
on 15 November 2013
I am using this printer every day for scanning and occasionally for printing. It works perfectly well. I am glad I did not buy a more expensive product, as this printer works so well. We had Epson printer for years, but I needed a scanner and obviously technology improved in last 5 years so much, that you do not need to buy expensive products to get a good working machine any more.
on 18 June 2013
great priced copier, dose what it says on the tin, can a little noise but easy to install and set up even for non techno like me. really good photo prints and was suprised it did come with ink not sure how long it will last but for set up and trying out ink is plentyful. would recommend this printer ot anyone...mind you i'm not a heavy printer only occasional printing but i love it.
on 26 August 2013
I spoke to the manufacturer and they said that this printer was compatible with my computer system (Vista) for the special feature of downloading my facebook page, it turned out to be not compatible and now the Image Garden feature doesn't work anymore either.
on 13 May 2017
Excellent product. More than 2 years of use, still working great.
on 1 September 2013
Dont bother with this product.

I bought two within a six month period.

Within six weeks of purchasing both printers, the same fault happened.

The feed stopped working so I sent them both back.

Only good thing about it was that I had refunds on both.