Top critical review
2 people found this helpful
Not really impressed
on 18 May 2016
I bought Rita Ora's debut album full of high hopes after listening to a couple of really good singles. I am not really impressed. The album is too eclectic for my tastes. It really feels like an assortment of tracks, and there is little cohesion. I also don't feel it does her voice much justice, with the exception of two tracks
1. Facemelt - 2/10 - Probably the worst opening track I have ever head. Just a noisy mess.
2. Roc the Life - 8/10 - This is one of the standout tracks on the album. Good drums and vocals.
3. How We Do (Party) - 6/10 - The verses drag, but the pre-chorus and chorus are catchy.
4. R.I.P. - 8/10 - Another standout track, with great instrumentals. Tinie Tempah is a great addition to the track and Rita sounds good.
5. Radioactive - 6/10 - There is a bit of a disconnect between the verses and chorus. The chorus is fist-pumping good, though.
6. Shine Ya Light - 4/10 - Very repetitive chorus and a not very interesting track overall
7. Love and War - 7/10 - This is a really good album track. J. Cole's addition to the track is great.
8. Uneasy - 6/10 - This song has so much potential to be brilliant, but the clipped/rapped delivery of the verses and the "yeah-ay-ay" really drag it down.
9. Fall in Love - 4/10 - A poor collaboration between Rita and will.i.am. The auto tune and pointless lyrics from will.i.am and the screechy chorus from Rita don't exactly make for a pleasant listen.
10. Been Lying - 5/10 - Another repetitive track. Rita, at least, sounds good on the track.
11. Hello, Hi, Goodbye - 7/10 - This is a very pleasant mid-tempo track. The emotion in Rita's voice is not overshadowed by any jarring beats. The ending of the track could be better, though. It feels very "cut-off".
12. Hot Right Now - 8/10 - This is the song which introduced me to Rita. Headstompingly good. I'm still holding out for a good live performance of the song.
13. Crazy Girl - 6/10 - Good bonus track.
14. Young, Single & Sexy - 10/10 - This is my favourite song on the album. I think this the only track where Rita explores her vocal range in depth. The ad-libs at the end sound nice.
15. Meet Ya - 6/10 - Another good bonus track. Not the best choice to close the album, in my opinion, as it just peters out at the end.