on 11 August 2016
I do admire her and her husband for embracing life and moving to Seville, learning a new language and dealing with the challenges rather than just settle into a comfortable retirement of living the familiar. However I felt there was too much about their life back in the USA and not enough about the people of Seville and the surrounding area - as presumably they travelled around Andalusia, or maybe not. It does raise some good issues to consider if you are thinking of moving abroad.
on 19 July 2014
I was interested to read this book like quite a few I have read about an Ex Pat though from the U.S.A. and not from the U.K. relocating to Spain.
It is always interesting to hear about the experiences of others , which in this instance was quite different to ours as The McCann's moved to a flat in Seville whereas we are renovating( and have been for 10+ years) an old farmhouse in the "campo" in Almeria Province.
Many of the experiences are the same though and I kept thinking "that happened to us" many times while reading the book.
The information put in to this book is brilliant and invaluable to anyone wanting an insight in to the life here in Spain.
I will say that we have found the Health Service extremely good as I took my husband to Huercal Overa Hospital ,10 minutes from home at midnight on a Thursday and he was sent by helicopter to Almeria at 2pm Friday and came out of Theatre to go to I.C.U. at 6pm following an operation for an Aneurism of his Abdominal Aorta. Both hospitals and staff were brilliant!
Well done Karen on the book and I hope to hear more of yourlife in Spain and the U.S.A. of course!
on 31 July 2014
This book was brilliant for me. I am thinking of relocating to Andalucia and have been visiting there for over 30 years. This book is well written especially for someone who has only been to Seville on a couple of occasions. I loved the way she describes the people of Seville and all experiences she has from dealing with government forms to leisurely activities - and manages to make it amusing and readable.
Cant wait to explore the region more!
on 13 May 2014
This was compelling, perceptive, amusing, yet practical. I loved reading it and only wished the book were longer! Second volume?
on 4 October 2012
This is an outstanding book for a number of reasons.

Whilst they are very entertaining reads, the stories in books like Driving Over Lemons, are basically other people's lives. The beauty of Dancing in the Fountain is that it is a book that talks about the experiences that anybody moving to a new country and city, battling with a new language and generally trying to understand what is going on - is going to face.

Furthermore, most of us, don't go and give up our lives and buy a farmhouse in a foreign country. This is why McCann's book is so clever, it actually talks about what it is like to move gradually from one culture (your own) to another. I have lived abroad for many years in different countries, but it was this realism that really appealed to me - I could really recognise some of the issues and advantages that the author brought up as a result of living in two different cultures.

The second reason I liked this book is that it provides a very good description from a foreign (albeit insider) perspective of one of my favourite cities in the world. Seville is the 'true' spain - and the author has captured the feel of the city really well.

Finally, its just a damn good read! Some of the stories that McCann described made me cry with laughter. The story of the snake and the husband was unforgettable and I have used it many times since!! Actually some of the best stories of the book are related to the husband - he seems to be really long suffering!

Generally, a really good read - well worth buying.
on 13 November 2015
I know Seville quite well - not through living there but spending time there often - I can picture what the Author describes in her Memoir - moving from the USA to live in Seville - I enjoyed the way Karen McCan captured the essence of Seville and the people from this part of Spain - it's difficult when you want to be part of a new City - fitting in can be tricky, testing, frustrating and takes quite a lot of guts and determination - you need to be able to take the rough with the smooth / laugh at yourself and join in - make friends - learn the language. I enjoyed reading how the Author and her husband did just this - nice to be reminded of some beautiful architecture, the little streets, the heat - the way the Sevillanos love to live. Well written and kept me interested.
on 28 April 2014
What a pleasure to have an 'expat' book that is a joyous adventure. Many who write on this theme list so many complaints you wonder why the authors chose to leave their previous life to 'suffer' abroad???
Yes, there are serious comments, the transient nature of the 'expat' community being one, and the lack of libraries and a choice of social interaction draws other important comparisons.
As a British 'most of the year expat' in Greece, it was interesting to read this account of life in Spain and find that the underlying experience was much the same. It is often the attitude you travel with that colours the experience.
Josephine Kelly author 'From Lindos with Love'.
on 3 September 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect from this book, having read (or tried to read) a few others written by people who moved to Spain. But I wasn't disappointed. The author writes in a chatty and entertainingway and keeps the reader interested - although I found it a little annoying to constantly be given translations for the various culinary dishes and local phrases - these could have been put in an addenda at the back of the book for the reader to choose whether he/she wants to look them up.
All in all I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in living in Spain or who (like myself) has lived in Spain.
on 14 January 2016
When I travelled in Spain some years ago, I loved Seville and its vibrance. This book made me realise I wasn't wrong in naming it my favourite Spanish city. While the book clearly covers many practical aspects of living abroad as an expat, every page is so beautifully written it feels like one big fun adventure. Read it before you visit Seville, read it after your visit. It's a book I found hard to put down. I have placed Seville firmly on my bucket list for the second time.
on 9 July 2015
At last, a book about a move to a European country that doesn't involve living in the back of beyond in a crumbling ruin. With no intention of relocating from the UK to Spain anytime soon, nevertheless for me Karen McCann's story comes closest to my fantasy of moving to the heart of a quirky, vibrant city where life is lived with a capital L. This book is really well written, holds the reader's attention throughout and contains many a chuckle along the way