Top critical review
70 people found this helpful
Make sure you know WHY your buying this !
on 18 September 2012
EDIT: One week later and the tablet seems to have a battery / charge problem. I contacted the reseller via Amazons systems and had very prompt help.
First and foremost, this is 4x cheaper than an iPad, remember this!
If you want an iPad, buy an iPad. I heard that the Nexus came out just after I ordered this :-(
Know why you want this.
I wanted this to provide Google Map Navigation + Music player (+internet radio) in the car (ie replace a TomTom!)
- mine arrived from the UK, probably from the Importer's home address.
- the keyboard is in USA format - easy to change.
- Google Text to Speech crashes - installed IVONA instead. Works fine.
- GPS is external, not very sensitive (compared to my HTC Phone)
-- My phone works fine in the car but this tablet struggled to get a fix.
-- I have to find a way to get the antenna outside the car.
- TuneIN Radio app not compatible.
- BBC Radio app plays only the MP3 streams, not the RTMP or AAC
-- My HTC Phone plays all these (BBC RTMP & TuneIN)
- WebRadio works fine - stock browser and FireFox
- Talking of which, Stock browser is S L O W
- Rad.io app works ok on most streams.
- No Bluetooth
- No Compass
- No Carmount kit (some reviews said there was one)
- Its a shame the power connector is not the "now normal" micro USB. Its a pin sized round thing (like many older devices)
-- I'll have to either open the unit to do something or make a new cable :-(
- WiFi is good. Streamed films onto HDMI 42" telly no problem from a Windows Home Server (Use "MediaHouse" app)
- Its an Ubuntu core, not pure Android. I think the ROM is one someone made based on open source. Dont expect updates!
The units biggest flaw is indeed the screen. Yes its Resistive and impossible to pinch to zoom/expand.
It comes with a stylus thats quite good but slow to type with
There is a lag between pressing a key/button and the device realising you've pressed it! Be patient!
So why 3 stars. Well, it does what it said on the Box :-)
- 20GB (5.52GB on mnt/sdcard, 14.8GB on mnt/extsd/sdcard2) built in memory + Micro SD Slot (mnt/extsd/sdcard1) if 20 is not enough.
--- So I've most of my music collection on board.
- USB only seems to support keyboard/mouse + FAT32 disks. Fair enough. I tried Bluetooth dongles, no luck.
--- Maybe the rom maker can add USB Bluetooth ?? Please !
- Sound is OK (two tiny speakers but the output into the car stereo via 3.5mm jack is good).
- HDMI Out + sound works well - can see the slow processor on films, but works fine for photos.
If I cant get this working as I hope to in the car, then it will become my HomeMusic center (ie always on ready to play Web Radio Stations).
So it IS what I expected, although I would have hoped that even with a resistive screen, the pinch to zoom / expand would work.
Less worries there, I clicked "show +/- zoom buttons" in Google Maps. Problem Solved.
At worst, its a VERY GOOD Music player... Add a small keyboard and mouse and its a very portable netbook !