on 8 September 2013
MAGIX Rescue Your Videotapes package will effectively transfer your VHS tapes to video. It's easy to use and the editing software is straightforward. But it took me a while to get it working.

It's easy to install. Stick CD in tray, follow instructions. Then you connect the relevant wires to your video recorder and marvel in wonder at images of your acne ridden face on a home video from 20 years ago. Suddenly you begin to question whether this was a good idea.

No matter - This is amazing! It's like having access to a time machine. But why is the image flickering? A friend who works in IT pops round to sort it out. Following an hour of fiddling about, the IT bloke phones MAGIX support-line in America. Can't get through. The automated phone service is a nightmare. As a last resort, I suggest removing the poxy extension cable from the USB connection that came with the package.

Bob's your uncle - Flickering is gone. I am overjoyed that I can now re-live all the most embarrassing moments from my teenage years in glorious digital quality and blackmail my friends with incriminating material that is arguably unfit for human consumption.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 October 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The kit includes a SCART-to-USB cable, two software CDs and a printed user guide. Installation is easy enough - follow the prompts and type in the licence code. As ever with Magix software, choose CUSTOM setup, so you can opt not to install the bundled surprises they otherwise install without telling you.

The hardware setup is simple. Just do what it says in the Quick Start Guide... Connect the cable parts, and then plug the SCART end into your VCR and the USB end into your computer. The red converter dongle is wide and may block nearby USB sockets, but just plug in the supplied USB extension cable to avoid the problem. To convert a video, play it on your VCR while the software records it on your computer. Once recorded, there are a few tools that you may use to improve the picture and sound quality, before exporting it in any of several formats.

You can encode VHS imports to MPEG-2 or MXV, via composite or S-Video, which is a mouse-click selection before you start recording. Once recording has started, just leave the computer to get on with it. Recording requires a lot of processing power, so I suggest you don't use the computer for anything else during recording (and probably disable your AV package or anything else that might interfere with it), otherwise you may end up with a recording that is blank in places. The highest quality option records at 2.1GB per hour; the low quality option records at 0.6GB per hour but the results are inevitably not so good. The 2.1GB option worked fine on my Intel i3 laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.

Automatic scene detection happens straight after recording. It breaks up the recording into the chapters that appear in a DVD scene selection menu. When you start creating the menu for your DVD, the chapters are added automatically, which makes the process very easy. Depending on which menu template you choose, it also optionally adds a loop composed of snippets of video from your movie.

Magix online help is generally good, though I did run into the odd glitch, such as this one: "Of course, you can jump through scene changes to work on multiple scenes as a unit. This makes designing the menu, since every scene is displayed as a menu entry, but since you will not normally want every scene displayed in the menu." Huh??

If you happen to have a copy of Magix Movie Edit Pro MX (a separate product), you can import your entire recording project into it, and make use of its more powerful feature set (it scene recognition tool is much nicer). It also means you can easily include videotape sources in other movie projects. That said, Magix Rescue Your Videotapes includes every feature you are likely to need for converting videotape to DVD.

The picture and sound correction tools in "Magix Rescue Your Videotapes" are effective, and may be applied to a single scene, or applied to an entire recording. The tool for removing black distortion borders, and black bars (PAL and NTSC), are particularly useful, though there are other tools for stabilizing shaky images, and so on. Its colour saturation, brightness and contrast correction tools are easy to use, and produce excellent results - beefing up faded colours and restoring contrast. I found the resulting picture and sound recording quality was surprisingly good, though you obviously won't get DVD picture quality from an old VHS cassette movie.

You may also add titles and captions, a new soundtrack, or special effects. Having completed a recording, you have the option to burn to DVD or Blu-Ray (with navigations menus), save it as a movie file, or upload it to Facebook, You Tube, or a Magix online album.

The bundled software "Photo Manager MX Deluxe" has plenty of features, though its face recognition feature is a bit clunky in comparison with the same feature in Google Picasa.

If you want to rescue your old videotaped recordings, you can't really go wrong with this package. It does the job competently and produces surprisingly good results. Evidently, I am not the only one who thinks it's good, as the box carries prominent endorsements from three world renowned sources: Micro Mart, PC Utilities, and... The Burton Mail! (Burton upon Trent's local newspaper). Oh, and happy 20th birthday Magix :-)
11 Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 September 2013
I have spent the entire month of August in email conversations with MAGIX trying to get this product to work. IT DOESN'T!!! It caused the Blue Screen Of Death on my laptop every time I tried to record anything. You're supposed to update the Capture Device driver online while it's plugged in and there is also a downloadable patch that needs applying to the program before you're meant to use it, but nothing you receive from this supplier tells you that! Having done everything the company asked of me, they still couldn't understand why the Capture Device wasn't recognised by my laptop. Save your money and go and buy another product like Movie Edit Pro from the MAGIX site itself. Do not buy this kind of product from disreputable third parties like this one.
on 14 September 2013
I had a previous version of this product which was absolutely fine but would not work on Windows 8. I bought the latest version supposedly for this version of Windows. It recorded fine but would not burn anything to disc. I tried another video and the same thing happened. Contacted Magix who sent me a patch but it did not work. They then told me that there was something within the film I was trying to copy preventing the burn and that I had to look for it and delete it. I told them I had tried two different films and would not have a clue how to go through the footage looking for whatever was preventing the burn to disc.
I asked why Magix should even expect me to solve the problem since it was their programme and obviously there was a problem with it.
Bought the ClimaxDigital Video capture which worked absolutely perfectly and am now trying to get a full refund for the Magix
on 29 July 2013
Some reviews of this were not very flattering. Don't be put off. I got this to replace a similar bit of kit that wasn't able to deliver very good resolution in the captured video. This thing does what you want. I use it with Windows 7, 64 bit and the software that comes in the box is just fine. Does what it claims.
on 27 December 2013
The reviews for the software were good so it seemed like the perfect solution for me. However the software provided for "rescue your video tapes" would not download on my PC. I contacted Magix who sent me two driver downloads, which successfuly downloaded, however I still could not get the software to work. I again contacted Magix who sent me the same driver downloads again, guess what still no joy. Gave up and returned the product, I must say I did not try the Photo Manager as I did not need it.
on 3 February 2016
Dont buy. Have number of problems. Unable to get any response from customer services. Get through to a answer machine. Waste of money
on 14 April 2013
easy to use, help if stuck, does what it says with ease, would recommend and I have already make sure you have plenty of hard drive space.
on 1 May 2014
I bought this to digitize my videos etc. I used a windows 7, 64 bit laptop, plugged it all in correctly, but no matter what I did, the top half of the screen was distorted and un-viewable, despite showing good quality on the TV.
Sent back for a refund.
on 31 December 2013
It does what it says in the add but it does take a long time to convert from Video to DVD. I stoped one video after 6 hours because i needed my computer and the programe was saying it had another 5 hours to go.
Maybe it's my computer.