on 29 August 2001
This really is a good book, easy to understand with excellent diagrams. The tricks inside really do work and really do impress, some of them are very easy to master and others are not, meaning that you can enjoy the book for quite a while as you gradually improve your skills. It is not however the final word in coin magic I have found that some of the sleights mention can be better executed in other ways, but this is just down to personal preference and others may disagree.
on 17 December 2002
Beware; serious coin manipulation with real coins requires practice and skill. This book covers just about every move and trick you can perform with coins including the use of trick coins and full performance routines. "Some" tricks can be done immediately. I have amazed many people with the coin through a hanky routine. A stunning trick that can be learnt in minutes. The book is worth the cost for this one trick alone. The book is a small paperback, with hand drawn illustrations. No big glossy pictures - just facts. Absolutely loads of stuff and a lifetime of reading (and practicing). Recommended to me by a magician, who astounded me into rushing out and buying it. You'll never learn everything in it, but from a clumsy novice - to a dextrous expert, everyone will learn from this valuable resource. - The bible. !
on 2 April 2003
Unlike some of the reviewers here, I question this being a good book for novices. Many of the sleights are quite complex, and someone starting out in magic, or younger magicians, might become dispirited and frustrated with the difficulty of some of the moves. This is a book for adults who can already demonstrate a little skill in doing a few basic tricks, and are willing to offer the time and committment necessary to take their interest to the level that this book is aimed at. For them, this will prove an excellent and invaluable guide, with clear instructions and diagrams. The book only occasionally feels slightly dated when some of the coin vanishes, for instance, assume that all men are still wearing suits with breast pockets and trouser leg cuffs etc - so jeans and a T-shirt may not be much use to you! So if you're already very keen and have a little experience of magic - certainly buy it. If you're simply curious, and are entirely new to coin tricks, start with something simpler.
on 11 January 2000
If you are new to magic this a great way to start. With great illustrations and descriptions, this makes learning sleights and other techniques easy. For advanced magicians, this book is an essential reference guide. Good work
After recently purchasing the Royal Road to Card Magic and learning some very useful slights and tricks with a regular deck of cards I thought I would be able to achieve the same result for coins with this book. 116 coin sleights is a very impressive claim and one I looked forward to getting into even if I had to practice like crazy I thought id be able to pull a few off in a short space of time. The problem I found though was this, although the book is writted and illustrated perfectly its American, now I'm not getting all patriotic here there is a reason for my dismay. our largest coin (in dimmension and value ironically) is the £2 coin some of the sleights, techniques and palms are just not possible with this size of coin, the back palm for example, I can do it with a £2 coin but it looks like I have aurthritis and not natural at all. Many of the tricks in this fantastic book are just not possible for an adult male to perfom with our gracious queens currency. Now I know many magicians would opt for American coins or similar but I dont know about your friends but my friends would instantly smell a rat if I did tricks with dollar coins etc and would question the integrity of the coins ie they would think they where trick or gimmick coins. Its such a shame becuase this is a VERY indepth and concise look at coin magic and there are still a large number of tricks that can be performed with our currency but because a large portion of the book is not possible for us I have only given this book 3star rating.
on 13 March 2008
There are many, many coin tricks in this book and if you
learnt them all you'd never be short of material. The only
criticism of this book that I have is that there is no indication
given of HOW to practice the tricks in order to improve ...
on 11 August 1999
For any standard of Coin Magic; be it beginner or professional, Bobo's book is one of the all time classic bibles on the subject of Coin Magic. Well illustrated and written, it documents hundreds of tricks and adds important notes after years of observation in his field. Well recognised in the field as one of the classics, it will be money well spent by anyone wishing to learn and add to their coin magic. The copy I bought a while ago has survived years of thumbing, and still gets opened regularly as a vital reference. A must buy!
on 25 April 2014
I bought this book for my son's birthday (at his request) along with the "Street Magic" paperback by Paul Zenon. As with the Paul Zenon book this paperback arrived promptly, well packaged and exactly as described so a good purchasing experience.
Both books are budget paperbacks with thin cover, pages printed on low quality paper and the occasional 'typo' and spelling mistake. However both appear to be well written and are accompanied by simple line diagrams to illustrate the techniques. My impression is both are books for enthusiasts who seek the knowledge rather than value the publishing quality, but this said they are both well worth the purchase price.
on 28 November 1999
everything you ever wanted to know about coins in the world, your library is not complete without this book. I WOULD GIVE IT SIX CROWNS IF THAT WERE POSSIBLE. I especially enjoyed the sleeving section. COIN MAGIC USING NORMAL COINS, GIMMICKED COINS AND COIN RELATED PROPS ie the okito box....
on 25 June 2009
There are only a few books considered 'must-haves' in magic. And just as Hugard & Braue's Royal Road to card Magic is seen as indespensible for those with a growing passion for the pasteboards, so Bobo's opus is the singular indespensible tome for those looking for instruction in coin magic.

The book may be old, but the techniques inside are timeless, and studying it thoroughly will give you the ability to hit the ground running with almost any of the newer, more advanced techniques that you encounter on your travels.

This is gold.