on 28 December 2012
Sounds daft. But it is true, if you are running the trial and it expires (like mine did on Christmas Eve) you have to remove the program, but here is where I had a problem (W7 Home Premium on Intel 2.8ghz Dual Core). Add/Remove did not work; it crashed, also tried CCleaner, Revo & IOBit, still no luck.
The choice left was manual remove - OMG not for the faint hearted, but hey, it worked, well I thought. After a reboot the program was taken off the disk and installed, but I could not get the update to install. Tried removing the program again and the computer failed to recognise that it existed. The only alternative was to rebuild W7. Happy to report since the rebuild, the program does what it should installed correctly and the update installed with no problem. I am not sure what caused the problem, but I think it may have been related to the fact the trial was over. I wasn't given the option to input a serial number when presented with the 0 days left screen, whether this was the program or Corel's anti piracy software, I don't know.

Now onto the review. It works, it is simple and the effects you can use are fantastic. The only downside I have find is when I upload photos via the Canon EOS up loader to C:Pictures... the program opens in Edit and opens up to 10 photos to edit, rather than Manage. Personally I would prefer to Manage my photos before editing them. There doesn't appear to be a "Watch Folders" process as in PSE. I'll have to see whether the W7 uploader has a similar effect or whether it is just Canon's software.

One thing I love is the Help files, unlike PSE they are accurate and don't leave you guessing; using the trial I have turned a colour photo taken at duxford 2012 into a picture aged by 60 years, so simple.

There have been complaints the program is slow, well yes some parts are slow, some are fast. I don't use the latest PC with state of the art GPU, so yes things are going to be slow, this doesn't matter to me and probably not to the majority of users - I get by just fine.

Corel 7.5/10 well done.

UPDATE : If you have a Kodak printer, please be aware there are issues with this product. I recommend Kodak printer users to seek an alternative product - product will not print to a Kodak printer, this is noted on Corel's website. selected photo spools, but disappears as it is sent to the printer, this is a Corel error as other printers work fine, indeed Kodak printers work fine with other editing software.
8 people found this helpful
on 30 March 2013
I have been an advocate of Corel software for many years, and on the whole, I have never been disappointed. Often Corel is compared to Adobe and their respective packages, but for me, Corel is the better of the two.

Installation is very straightforward. From start to finish it took no more than 10 mins. Having just purchased the software which was originally released in September 2012, there are two critical service pack updates which are installed as part of the Installation. There is also an optional help file which can be installed in case you are off line.

I'm someone who needs the software to be as simple as possible, and this software meets that requirement. I'm not someone who is madly in to photo editing, but I use it for touching up photos, cropping, printing etc, pretty basic tasks. However, within the package there are literally hundreds and hundreds of applications/effects etc, no doubt some I have never uncovered. My expertise simply is not there. There are some built in tutorials if you want to learn these more in depth tools etc. The interface is very simple, three tabs at the top and within those you have everything you need.

In this version there are two additional NEW features, but I'm having trouble with both. The first one the ability to map your photos using Google Maps, so you view where you have taken them. Having used this, I'm finding that some photos have mapped twice. Likewise, with the new face recognition software, I'm finding that the software is not identifying the faces correctly and tagging them multiple times. I've spoken with Corel via their 90 day complimentary support, but I have no resolution yet. Having said that, will I ever need to use this feature? My photos are already tagged with the place/country in which they were taken.

Overall, I am giving this software 4*. On the whole, this is an exceptional bit if software, highly intuitive, easy to use, and with a wealth of tools for both the amateur and professional editor. However, as I think the software is not fully free of all bugs, I'm not awarding 5*. Strongly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2013
I've used Paintshop Pro X2 for a number of years and previous versions before that. When I bought a Nikon D5200 recently, my old X2 version could not handle the large NEF (RAW)images produced. Not a great surprise, I did expect it. So I bought the X5, having read that it could deal with them. So I was somewhat disappointed to find that the NEF images in paintshop, although handled by the software are not displayed very well at all. For starters the colour is washed out and muted, compared to JPG and upon bringing up the magnification there is a strange serrated effect on straight lines. This is not seen in the Nikon NX2 viewer supplied with the camera.
NX2 is not just a viewer, it can do some editing but Paintshop (or something) extra is needed. Converting to TIFF solves the imaging problem but at the expense of a much larger file size (about x5 the size). The colour rendition on the TIFFs is better, so I suppose the information is in the NEF but is not displayed correctly by Paintshop X5.
As for the new (to me) format of X5? It's OK. You get used to it, but it was a bit of a culture shock after X2. There are of course loads of gimmicky image processes you can do, but probably never want to, but X2 had its fair share of those.
ADDENDUM (27/04/2014)
My copy of X5 has since developed a really annoying problem in that it will not recognise image files! For heaven's sake! It is an intermittent fault and occurs for no apparent reason that I can find. Using the Corel Paintshop X5 Help Forum proved to be useless, with no useable advice. Default position seems to be, Blame the computer.
So just beware, this application has bugs!
I initially rated this application as 4 star but with this really annoying fault it is now only 2.
One person found this helpful
on 11 April 2013
I have been using Paintshop for years (because it is so much much cheaper than Adobe photoshop) but it has always been a bit clanky and missing some useful tools. This new version has made up for previous deficits and now includes simple one click menus for adjustments like fill light, and increase vibrancy. The interface has improved and gives three basic options, manage, adjust and edit. I tend to stay in edit. Combined with other software like Lightroom 4 it makes a powerful and cheaper package. My one criticism so far is that it takes a long time to load (a problem with some previous versions)
5 people found this helpful
on 26 March 2013
I was happy with PaintShop Pro X2, but as I gained confidence, I began to find it had limitations. Then a friend told me he had upgraded to X5 and waxed lyrical about its up-to-date virtues. Never one to do things in a hurry, I waited for a few weeks before taking the plunge. Now I don't know why I let so much time elapse. The improvements and additions made over the last six years are phenomenal. It is easy to use, has loads of useful features, and I can go wild with experimentation! If you are running an old version of PaintShop pro, upgrade immediately!
2 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2014
I have had previous photo enhancing programmes in the past, but this one does stretch my abilities. The video on how to do things is fine if you have a perfect signal and speed from your Internet Service Suipplier. I am situate at the "end of the line" and get disjolted videos, so struggle to teach myself and it is not as simple to learn as old versions which I used continuously. In fact, I amsomewhat disappointed. t was, in fact, purchased for myself financed by my family, and they expect to see great results, but I am struggling.
on 14 August 2013
Having lost my full version of Virtual Painter, have been searching for a replacement for this quick-fix art converter. Got the impression That Paint Shop Pro might do the trick, but it doesn't. I'm already learning how to produce my own paint effects with Elements, so Paint Shop Pro may become a redundant purchase because it can't match Adobe. Yet, I'm initially quite impressed with a number of quick fixes available and this programme is a comparatively bargain buy for novices in 'photoshopping'
on 11 June 2014
Nice software, but they do plug themselves until you get angry. Not just the usual emails after you register the software, but pop ups when you exit the software. There is an option to turn them off, but they ignore it! For daily use I've gone back to a much earlier version of Paint Shop Pro and I just use this version for the nice picture enhancements. To me the plugs are almost malware.
on 26 December 2012
I'm a long-time Paint Shop customer, from the shareware days. I refused to buy v4 - v3 was just not reliable - it crashed too often. Upgrading is also quite expensive - the "special offer' Corel sends me is no better than what I can get locally. So much for rewarding customer loyalty. I was ready to switch to PSE, but hesitated because of my investment in Topaz extensions. I couldn't resist the good Amazon offer for V5. And I'm glad I did. No crashes any more - bravo for the guy cleaning up that code ! Speed still isn't brilliant - especially when evaluating effects, it takes sometimes too much time to compare before/after's - but it has improved. it's a tough battle against the Photoshops & Lightrooms out there, but it's good to see that the underdog has gotten it's act together again.
One person found this helpful
on 1 February 2014
This will do almost everything that Photoshop does at a fraction of the cost. The only downside is that is difficult to find any printed guides - they are all for Photoshop. Loaded very quickly. each time you open or close the program you are shown ads by Corel but it's not a problem.