on 4 May 2013
I adore books about magic and this one fulfilled all my fantasies. The story drew me in and I fell in love with all the witches, they felt like friends and, finishing the book, I was a little sad to leave them. The best kind of storytelling, I look forward to more from Suzanne Palmieri soon...
on 5 September 2013
I love to tell people about books that just won't let me go, not even after I've finished reading. This book revolves partially around magic and the next world, so while I was reading it I felt strangely haunted, sad, and also joyous, all at the same time. It seemed that the city apartment building and beach cottage where much of the book takes place take on personalities of their own, while the lives of the tightly knit family unfolds over decades, recounting both glorious and tragic days, all laced with bits of the Sight and the occasional magic spell. I especially loved the Mama, Elly and Anthony, who was such a dear man and so right for Elly. And I was relieved that the one really awful person was served a big helping of justice!
on 21 February 2015
This book had me gripped from the start - compelling story, engaging characters and beautifully written. I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting!
on 12 January 2016
As a reader of Alice Hoffman and Sarah Addison Allen I thought I would enjoy this. Parts of it I loved and I needed more of that magical description contrasted with a hard tale of immigrant family life. I felt I didn' t fully appreciate some of the relationships in the book. Or the timeline. I never fully engaged with a character.
on 19 September 2015
Okay but abit long winded not what I thought it was