on 20 November 2016
A film that I had though was fiction but in fact was based on real events. How can people kill each other fro so long and for such a petty and pointless event suggest that people especially with guns with guns should not be allowed any where near then real world of civil society. Every thing was graphically researched and retold and yet it seems the people involve did not or would not see the pointless of the killing they were involved in. How does it go if it was a TV show you would think they made it up. However real life showing us once again how awful l human being can be to each other.
on 8 December 2016
Watched this first on the t.v. and was impressed enough to then buy the dvd. This is not the usual over the top all action presentation so typical of much of the American output ,but rather a critical analysis of a feud that started over petty grievances and descended into a series of retaliatory murders over years. Performances from all the cast was excellent with both Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton outstanding as heads of the respective families. You can guess I liked it.
on 6 February 2013
Yes, the acting.
I always thaught that in A PERFECT WORLD Clint Eastwood offered Kevin Costner the role of his carrier, but this role, the role of "Anse" Hatfiled matches that one, if not overgain it! Kevin Costner is almost perfect as one of the two leading roles, the patriarch of the Hatfield family, and Bill Paxton reached out superbly acting the other leading role, the patriarch of the McCoys family.
The remaining goes along, no need to explain the plot, other customers did it before me, but I must outline the perfection of the whole production, the design, the perfection of the minor roles (Tom Berenger and Powers Booth among but over the others!), the strenght of the true story and the sad, bitter outcome singled out at the end of it...
Western television, no, it's not right, TELEVISION AND STRONG SHOW AT ITS REAL BEST!
Buy it people, buy it, you will enjoy this as much as I did, I am sure!
on 6 September 2013
Saw this on TV recently - great series but very violent!! True story of family friends who feud and due to their pride and testosterone spills over into generations. It is taught at school in the US as part of their history - where the saying ' The real McCoy 'comes from.
Every single actor/actress is amazing - people you may have heard or not are all extraordinary !
If you liked Lonesome Dove you will like this.
Very sad and moving and shocking in many parts but fascinating all the same! ! Harrowing - so be warned!
2 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2017
The sleeve is in French. This is a Christmas gift for my dad who I will be seeing tomorrow so I really hope he see's the funny side.
I saw this on the history channel when it first aired and thought it was really good, my dad being a fan of westerns would likely really enjoy this. I hope that when I put it in my DVD player it isn't dubbed.
3 stars for speed of shipping and the mini series itself, loses 2 stars for being in the wrong language.
review image
on 16 June 2018
I understand that this film is an actual account of what happened between these two families. How could people be so brutal with kin folk. Hatred is a bad thing. Any way loved watching it.
on 10 April 2017
It was ok - I didn't realise it was a TV mini series but enjoyed it nonetheless ... 6 hours of watching is good value for money
on 1 February 2017
Good yarn - begging to have been expanded into a more interesting full series - it felt like it finished just when it was getting going. I know it was based on true events, but would still like it to have been expanded.
on 18 October 2013
Bought this on the strength of the other epic westerns that i have of Kevin Costner. I was not disappointed . In fact i was glued to the screen and ended up watching it in one sitting. Fantastic. Bill Paxton was excellent as so were all the supporting cast. And it stayed as true as it could to the true facts. Buy it. You wont be disappointed.
on 5 February 2015
Fantastic real life story of a backwoods feud. Post civil war tensions and land disputes lead to violence, revenge and tragedy. Everybody is great in this. Especially Costner and Paxton. Tom Berenger does some of the best spitting seen on the screen, just lovely!