Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 25 March 2010
Although the initial thought of reading something about a chap called "Fancy Jack" was a little off-putting - I have thoroughly enjoyed all of this series. There's not a lot of novels about this era, and it shows that in many ways the "soldiers lot" hadn't improved since the Napoleonic era. It's also refreshing to have a very "real" lead character, one that feels fear, embarrassment, jealousy and all the other foibles that we humans have! Plus - this one can get hurt....
on 21 October 2013
This episode in the life of fancy jack seemed rather more contrived than previously - much repletion for previous readers of the series ( though would be helpful to new readers) I suspect it was a money making enterprise than a real "work" Hopefully the next one will be better but throughout the characters seem two dimensional. A good subject - a shame cornewell didn't write it so we would have three dimensional characters
on 11 September 2013
Another episode in the developing story of Jack Crossman. A little bit rushed in some aspects of the battle I thought but nevertheless a good easy read which I did over a couple of days whilst on holiday in mallorca.
on 20 June 2016
Not a good as the earlier books in this series- too much Bronte going on and the veer towards Sharpe with the independent actions diverts from such an interesting campaign. I hope they improve or I'll lose interest quite quickly
"Attack on the Redan" is an enjoyable and well paced adventure situated at the Battle of Sevastopol. It doesn't give much of the larger picture of the battle, but is atmospheric and well-written. To my mind it is not as slick or as pacey as Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe stories, and the battle scenes are certainly not as good, but it is an enjoyable ride. I particularly like the inclusion of a female soldier - an aspect of history that deserves to be more widely told.
on 3 June 2014
Well-written story about a small group of soldiers fighting at Sebastopol towards the end of the Crimean war. To a non-historian this book seems to have been well-researched and provides an interesting insight into the lives and motivations of those involved in the war, transnational cooperation and the way the officer corps treated the lower ranks.
on 29 December 2012
Lacked a good story line to carry it through,and some action sequences a bit over the top by our hero
on 7 September 2013
I enjoyed this book which is a follow up of the adventures of "Fancy Jack Crossman". Despite the title the book was more about his adventures about the Crimean peninsula. The attack was very much at the end of the story. I enjoyed reading about the Crimean War which is not very well illustrated these day as "past history". It also illustrates the way our troops were treated at that time by both Generals and Politicians. The story of Miss Nightingale is well known but the fact of other women treating our troops and those women who chose to fight also as soldiers is not well known.
Am looking forward to continuing the story.
on 19 June 2014
yet another find tail in this set of books helping to tie in more details .You fell as if you were there and can smell the battle as it grows on you.
on 5 June 2014
A very interesting book, I learned a lot from reading about this battle. My wife bought this for me so this is my review not Maureens!