on 11 April 2014
Used this adaptor in conjunction with a FireWire 800 Cable, 9 pin to 4 pin, to connect an old Panasonic MiniDV NV-DS33 video camera to my iMac. Video's transfer easily with no problems.
on 13 March 2013
I love it simply because I can now read my old external hard drive. Unknown to me, I had the older version firewire and when I bought my new iMac it wouldn't connect without it. Mind you, it's bl88dy expensive for what it is.
on 26 April 2014
No-one was able to answer the question of whether this would work under Windows 8.1 on an Asus laptop equipped with Thunderbolt but I was quite desperate for a super-quick solution so I gave it a go. And it works flawlessly (so far) without any set up trouble. I confess I hadn't read the description sufficiently to realise it was FW800 so I had to make an emergency last minute trip to Maplins to get a 800 to 400 cable (another £20), but on setting it all up and attaching a Canon XH-A1S video camera to it everything connected seamlessly and without any intervention or tweaking from me. It just worked. For anyone interested I am capturing using Sony Vegas Pro 13. Next challenge is to see if it will capture for up to an hour without dropping frames. Fingers crossed.

I'm a professional videographer with fifteen+ years experience of flaky firewire connectivity so my hopes were not particularly high, however I am delighted that I can continue to use this old camera as a capture device. It's sat in a box for two years and is probably unsellable now.

In my case the adapter has already paid for itself as yesterday I was asked to supply a third camera for a product launch event in 36 hours time. For a total outlay of fifty quid I am able to charge my client an additional amount many times more than my outlay. The alternative would have been to rent a third camera for several hundred, if I could get one at such short notice.

Next day delivery c/o Prime meant I ordered the adapter on the Friday afternoon and it arrived on the Saturday morning.

Despite all the good news, it's still rather expensive for what it is - but that's Apple for ya, and that's why I dropped a star :-)

Recommended.
on 18 January 2013
This adapter works fine, Its a pity no one told me that it would damage the firewire port in my camera, if I connect it while the camera is turned on.
I now have two HD Video cameras with damaged fire wire outputs. thanks a lot guys.

After hotswapping my firewire leads in several camera's for years, I nover thought for a minute that this was likely.
88 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2014
Good quality connector and it was despatched quickly along with a Neet 400 to 800 Firewire adapter.

Until I purchased an iMac I had connected my elderly but excellent camcorder to my Windows PC using the Firewire 400 connector on the supplied lead. I hadn't even realised that there were two variants of Firewire, i.e. the 400 and 800 which are very different in design.

The adapter connected firmly and easily to the Neet 400/800 adapter and in turn to my 400 male connector on my camcorder lead and worked perfectly first time. Nearly £27 between them to connect a cable to a computer is a bit steep but cheaper than buying a new camcorder and throwing all my old tapes away.
on 15 March 2016
Maybe it's obvious to a lot of folks.....but it wasn't obvious to me so a quick review in case anyone else is wondering.

I've got a modern MacBook air and a bunch of old 2nd 3rd and 4th gen iPods and iPod mini (I'm playing with converting them to ssd). A lot of these sync and / or charge with FireWire rather than USB. Apple hasn't put a FireWire port on macs for a while now. So what to do....?

Well the thunderbolt to FireWire and the FireWire to FireWire 400 adapter work a treat. Just plug the iPod FireWire cable in and bingo. Your older iPod is charging and syncing.

Very impressed with the 3rd gen. I had problems restoring them over USB, Even with the y cable that gave FireWire power and USB sync.

The same iPod restored no problem over FireWire with this adapter. Very happy.

The other top tip is to look in the used section. Amazon had a load of these as warehouse deals. Basically new but in a creased box. Save a tender over what apple is charging.
on 23 October 2012
Had no problems with the product as of yet. The only bad thing I would say is that it is very short but this shouldn't be a problem as your FireWire cable is probably long enough anyway.
on 25 June 2014
works fine but in use with an external 1 TB hard drive I expected better transfer speeds. firewire 800 was always faster than USB2 for this device. USB2 connection is faster than firewire 800-to-thunderbolt.
In short, if you can use USB2 or USB3 to connect, do so. Do not bother with a firewire 800 converter to thunderbolt. Its too slow.
on 27 December 2015
Transfer videos from Cameras with old Firewire connector to your new Mac , though when I bought new MacBook pro that would be able to use to re edit some old Digital tapes but no firewire connector found this apple product now have the ability to transfer and re edit
on 8 October 2015
Lots of people berate Apple for dropping Firewire as there are so many legacy devices but this works on both OS X and Windows.The one drawback is that it's non-captive (the plug can fall out of a Macbook) but it does work and it's inexpensive.