Customer reviews

on 28 April 2014
I was really sceptical about buying this as many reviewers and forums had mentioned that they aren't sure about this working on Windows PC.

I have a Dell XPS 2720 with a thunderbolt port running Windows 8.1. Connected the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter and Windows 8.1 immediately popped a message saying that it was installing drivers for IEEE Controller and I was elated with joy. Plugged in the cables end to end into my old DV camcorder and Windows immediately recognized the device as a VCR.

Switched on the camcorder, launched Movie Maker, and importing all the old movies from my tapes onto digital format. Simply Brilliant. Farewell to all the old tapes and the old camcorder.

I required 3 cables for this and purchased the following:
Firewire 400 to 800 adapter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044LP9V6/
Firewire 4pin to 6pin - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TH7GVY/
Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RXYOKY/
on 15 May 2017
- It works, in a strictly electrical sense...
However, if you have an iMac, expect to spend some time securing the adaptor and/or connected FireWire cable to the stand by some means, to stop it falling out if brushed by a falling hair.

Apple's Thunderbolt accesories and Apple's iMacs are disfunctional together. The ports on an iMac are situated so that the weight of an Apple Thunderbolt/FireWire adpator, even without a FireWire cable plugged in, is problematic. At very least, the cable part of the adaptor needs to be longer and more flexible, so that the socket part can rest on a table surface, reducing the strain on the tiny Thunderbolt connector. Here, a functional design fundamental has been compromised in the name of eye-catching, price-leveraging aesthetics. It's increasingly part of the Apple way. As is the commitment to never admitting to any misjudgement or fault.
on 3 June 2017
If I didn't have this little adapter then I have no idea how I would be able to access one of my older hard drives on my new MacBook , do they have to keep changing all the plugs / connections all the time!?

Anyhow, this is a super useful gadget and I really couldn't function without it.
on 13 June 2017
Purchased with a 400 to 800 adapter which gives me the chance to edit all my old mini tape digital video camcorder clips. I went to Apple and not the cheaper brands and very happy that I did. A great product and good price.
on 23 July 2017
does what it is designed to do. good quality. could maybe do with it a bit longer but that is just for my benifit,otherwise great item.
on 24 July 2017
Works well but crikey, the price! 5 stars for the product and 2 stars for the price.
on 14 September 2017
Does the job. Excellent. Enough said
on 5 November 2016
Perfection. Nothing else to add except words to get to minimum for a review
on 17 July 2017
What I received was an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to a Network adaptor - This is wrongly advertised!
review image