on 8 July 2017
Beware, if you are looking for a Thunderbolt 3 to firewire connector... this one is NOT it,
and I do not believe one is currently made.
Hence reason for 2 out of 5 stars... I sure its is a perfectly good item if you don't require the latest Thunderbolt connector.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 April 2014
Used this adaptor in conjunction with a FireWire 800 Cable, 9 pin to 4 pin, to connect an old Panasonic MiniDV NV-DS33 video camera to my iMac. Video's transfer easily with no problems.
22 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2014
I was really sceptical about buying this as many reviewers and forums had mentioned that they aren't sure about this working on Windows PC.

I have a Dell XPS 2720 with a thunderbolt port running Windows 8.1. Connected the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter and Windows 8.1 immediately popped a message saying that it was installing drivers for IEEE Controller and I was elated with joy. Plugged in the cables end to end into my old DV camcorder and Windows immediately recognized the device as a VCR.

Switched on the camcorder, launched Movie Maker, and importing all the old movies from my tapes onto digital format. Simply Brilliant. Farewell to all the old tapes and the old camcorder.

I required 3 cables for this and purchased the following:
Firewire 400 to 800 adapter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044LP9V6/
Firewire 4pin to 6pin - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TH7GVY/
Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008RXYOKY/
6 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2014
No-one was able to answer the question of whether this would work under Windows 8.1 on an Asus laptop equipped with Thunderbolt but I was quite desperate for a super-quick solution so I gave it a go. And it works flawlessly (so far) without any set up trouble. I confess I hadn't read the description sufficiently to realise it was FW800 so I had to make an emergency last minute trip to Maplins to get a 800 to 400 cable (another £20), but on setting it all up and attaching a Canon XH-A1S video camera to it everything connected seamlessly and without any intervention or tweaking from me. It just worked. For anyone interested I am capturing using Sony Vegas Pro 13. Next challenge is to see if it will capture for up to an hour without dropping frames. Fingers crossed.

I'm a professional videographer with fifteen+ years experience of flaky firewire connectivity so my hopes were not particularly high, however I am delighted that I can continue to use this old camera as a capture device. It's sat in a box for two years and is probably unsellable now.

In my case the adapter has already paid for itself as yesterday I was asked to supply a third camera for a product launch event in 36 hours time. For a total outlay of fifty quid I am able to charge my client an additional amount many times more than my outlay. The alternative would have been to rent a third camera for several hundred, if I could get one at such short notice.

Next day delivery c/o Prime meant I ordered the adapter on the Friday afternoon and it arrived on the Saturday morning.

Despite all the good news, it's still rather expensive for what it is - but that's Apple for ya, and that's why I dropped a star :-)

Recommended.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 February 2017
Frankly this is useless. The first time we used it (for shooting with a tethered digital camera, so data was coming down the wire about once or twice a minute for about 15 seconds at a time) it overheated and burned out. It would have burned out a lot sooner if we had been using it for continuous data transfer e.g. Backing up to an external FireWire drive. I had it plugged into a new iMac and was shooting with a PhaseOne IQ180 digital back. The return window is now closed, so I can't even send it back as faulty, despite the fact that it's only 3 months since I bought it, so well within a year.
One person found this helpful
on 15 March 2016
Maybe it's obvious to a lot of folks.....but it wasn't obvious to me so a quick review in case anyone else is wondering.

I've got a modern MacBook air and a bunch of old 2nd 3rd and 4th gen iPods and iPod mini (I'm playing with converting them to ssd). A lot of these sync and / or charge with FireWire rather than USB. Apple hasn't put a FireWire port on macs for a while now. So what to do....?

Well the thunderbolt to FireWire and the FireWire to FireWire 400 adapter work a treat. Just plug the iPod FireWire cable in and bingo. Your older iPod is charging and syncing.

Very impressed with the 3rd gen. I had problems restoring them over USB, Even with the y cable that gave FireWire power and USB sync.

The same iPod restored no problem over FireWire with this adapter. Very happy.

The other top tip is to look in the used section. Amazon had a load of these as warehouse deals. Basically new but in a creased box. Save a tender over what apple is charging.
One person found this helpful
on 14 February 2015
It proved to be working well on my MacBook Pro. However, I bought an extra cable along with this - 4pin to 9pin firewire 400 to 800 cable. I had to chain these 2 cables together to connect my Canon Mv750i to my MacBookPro, then I simply use iMovie to import all the DVs.

I gave it 4 stars simply because 1). 28 pounds is a bit over expensive for such a basic cable (Apple a bit ver greedy on accessories); 2) even though 28 pounds over-spent it has to work with another cable. A bit pity nowadays we still have to so much time to bother and scratch our heads for so long for so simple tasks - just exports some videos from Cameron to a hard disk. All man made deliberate inconveniences.

Other than above: the cable works and does the job I should do better. Very happy I cracked the simple task bothering me for so many years.
on 7 February 2018
Would be nice if they just kept the firewire port in the machine rather than forcing you to buy an adaptor for each thing they remove.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 March 2014
Good quality connector and it was despatched quickly along with a Neet 400 to 800 Firewire adapter.

Until I purchased an iMac I had connected my elderly but excellent camcorder to my Windows PC using the Firewire 400 connector on the supplied lead. I hadn't even realised that there were two variants of Firewire, i.e. the 400 and 800 which are very different in design.

The adapter connected firmly and easily to the Neet 400/800 adapter and in turn to my 400 male connector on my camcorder lead and worked perfectly first time. Nearly £27 between them to connect a cable to a computer is a bit steep but cheaper than buying a new camcorder and throwing all my old tapes away.
on 15 May 2017
- It works, in a strictly electrical sense...
However, if you have an iMac, expect to spend some time securing the adaptor and/or connected FireWire cable to the stand by some means, to stop it falling out if brushed by a falling hair.

Apple's Thunderbolt accesories and Apple's iMacs are disfunctional together. The ports on an iMac are situated so that the weight of an Apple Thunderbolt/FireWire adpator, even without a FireWire cable plugged in, is problematic. At very least, the cable part of the adaptor needs to be longer and more flexible, so that the socket part can rest on a table surface, reducing the strain on the tiny Thunderbolt connector. Here, a functional design fundamental has been compromised in the name of eye-catching, price-leveraging aesthetics. It's increasingly part of the Apple way. As is the commitment to never admitting to any misjudgement or fault.