Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 14 August 2014
A fairly decent film, although i'm not sure why Rupert Grint is headline actor, as he was hardly the lead. I'm glad they resisted the urge to 'spice' this up with a load of fiction. I suppose those that have rated this a one star, are just disappointed reality isn't always as exciting as fiction. But then those same people probably think U571 is a brilliant piece of factual film making. To be honest i can't say this is 'brilliant' must watch over and over film, but it's still worth watching.
on 14 May 2014
Would reccommend to anyone, amazing film and acted brilliantly, I wasn't big on war films until I watched this! great
on 30 September 2013
I enjoyed this DVD,very interesting with good acting,it could have happened,maybe it did.Friendship made and taken away in a flash
on 27 October 2014
This is a very different type of war film, which I found both poignant and thought provoking. The wardrobe department did a better job than many previously and I really enjoyed this film.
on 12 April 2016
The type of tale already told umpteen times, and in every case a whole lot better. Poor acting, especially by the stiff-upper-lip Brit and his cheeky working-class underling. Mundane dialogue, littered with anachronisms. Lifeless directing doing nothing to boost what was essentially a very dull story.
on 28 March 2015
Tragically, it's a bit of a yawn, with a predictable ending. And it's not a war movie: it's a "5 men stuck in a cabin for too long" movie. If that's your thing, give it a go.
on 31 May 2016
I brought this for my dad for his Christmas present. We love watching war films together. However this will not be a repeat watch truly boring film with little to no actual story line. I had high hopes purely for the fact it had Rupert Grint staring. (Harry Potter Geek). He should have just stuck to playing Ron Weasley. Disappointing.
on 20 March 2013
We're in World War II, and Britain and Germany are battling over Norway's minerals. An RAF aeroplane and its Luftwaffe opponent crash in a wintry wilderness. Three German airmen take refuge in a deserted wooden shack; later, two Brits - including a ginger Scouser played by Hogwarts's Rupert Grint - stumble into it too. This film (based on a true story) tells the tale of what happens next.

All my favourite films are extravagant fantasy blockbusters, so it's a tribute to this micro-budget production that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Although most of its action was confined to a space about the size of a double garage, the quality of the script, performances, cinematography and editing were such that my interest never flagged. There was tension aplenty, and humour, and pathos, and finally - or so it seemed to me - a lesson in human nature well worth learning and remembering.

Complaints? The blu-ray sleeve, with its dramatic image of aircraft and infantry absent from the film itself, might lead you to expect a different kind of film from what the disc actually offers. And I'd like to have seen a bit more of the film's beautiful Norwegian and Swedish locations. Oh, and I could have done without the script's handful of four-letter words - but then I am more than a bit tweedily old-fashioned.

The picture quality of the blu-ray is fine. The audio is just modest two-channel PCM, but this is entirely adequate to a soundscape not very different from a play's. About twenty minutes of German or Norwegian dialogue are given clear, legible subtitles. The only extras are trailers for three other low-budget war movies, although the film's closing captions tell us what happened to the film's protagonists after the events depicted.
11 Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2016
Low budget. Not a good film.
on 12 August 2014
Comrades in arms, band of brothers and all that - soldiers united against a common foe irrespective of their uniform. It is all here and forms a very passable 90 mins of cinematic engagement. Simply done and effective in my opinion. I have seen many a war film and many are average. I would say that due to its unusual subject matter in this vast war it is worth a look. Based on a true story I do not think it does the real heroes any injustice.
We are all hewn from the same wood it is just that upbringing and background give us a skin deep difference. When facing adversity we humans can rise above prejudice and hatred. Our very survival may depend on it as it does in this film.