Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

The protagonist of this book started life in a small town in Yugoslavia 58 years ago fracturing her mother's family. Standing on the Millenium Bridge she wonders if it is possible to jump off. Constructed in chapters alternating between 'before' and 'now' this is emotional tale of one woman's realisation that life has not turned out as she thought it would.

Milka Sculac Sennett has penned an impressive debut; the minute observations from how life can change from one busy chaotic life to taking up activities simply to fill up the spare hours after work to the sensual delight of a carrot cake in a coffee shop with a sexy young waiter add weight to the underlying sad story. I found myself drawn to the wonderful characters, the friend Lara, her mother Maria, her grandmother nonna Lucija and shared the protagonist's dislike of the boss George and his sidekick Boris.

This is a narrative of one woman's life and such is the depth of the the many layers I think it is one of those special books that will stay with me for a long time.
on 10 October 2012
Ladybird, ladybird is a very nostalgic and emotional piece of a well-written novel.
It is a story which subtly reveals the life of one woman's struggle entwining past and present, different culture and society, asking the eternal question what it would be if we were given different chances and opportunities in life.

We live only one life and the main character had tried to live hers the best she could. My Croatian roots were moved while following the Croatian family story, and my experience of the life in England helped me understand the main character's worries, sadness, disappointment, falling in and out of love.
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to be touched by someone's life story.
on 4 September 2012
I really enjoyed this novel as it tackles many issues that affect women such as a strong desire to become a mother but unable to conceive, loneliness, ageing. The novel consists of stories of a woman's life: her childhood memories, her married life, her professional life and a life as an elderly woman. The stories grip you and you can't leave the book aside until you get to the last page. I can't wait for more Milka's books!
on 25 August 2013
I enjoyed reading this book and although it took me a few chapters before I was fully immersed into the story; once I was in I was hooked.

The detail was such that I could clearly picture the central character's journey through life and how events shaped the person she became. It's a sad story but equally one that as the reader you could imagine to be a true life journey.

An impressive debut novel, which brought a tear to my eye (I'm not the easiest to be convinced by a story!), and I look forward to reading Milka's next novel.