on 20 November 2012
Product is exactly as expected, (I owned v10 and v11) I didn't see a great speed improvement as reported in reviews which is why I wanted to update - even though I have a reasonably powerful Nvidia GTX 670 card a decent speed PC 12GB memory and 64bit etc. Editing playback is a little better but not much. It's a great editor but very frustrating to have to buy a new major version every year just to continue to get bug fixes and a few extras.

Sony really are running a trick with Vegas - they basically freeze updating last year's version every year then bugs only get fixed in the "new" major version. Sounds OK until you realise every year they and simply put in 1 or 2 extra features or improved bits and whack up the version number to a major version. Most companies would call it a minor update version number.

They should own up and just make it a subscription update service - it is effectively this.

I wouldn't mind if they said OK pay half price and upgrade last years to this, but also their own upgrade prices are ridiculously more expensive than simply buying it new from Amazon (every year I check it carefully always the same :( ).
44 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 December 2012
I upgraded from version 11 to 12 in the middle of editing an hour long holiday video. I had earlier trialled v12 and felt its improvements were too slight to make upgrading worthwhile. However the relative slowness of v11 compared with V12-64bit in running the preview screen and v11's tendency to use nearly all the Windows 32-bit maximum memory persuaded me to upgrade. I did not regret it as the preview certainly was less irritating (I have a CUDA-enabled Nvidia card as required by Movie Maker for the increase in speed) and the availability of all my computer's 8GB memory allayed fears of crashing. However, I also found the small tweaks on the interface made editing faster and less prone to silly mistakes. I particularly liked the highlighting of the active clip and the repositioning of the hotspots on the clip when some of the clip was hidden beyond the edge of the main window. I also liked that on reopening a project the zoom position was as I had left it rather than being reset to minimum. I have experienced no crashes and certainly feel the upgrade was worthwhile for the quite small sum of £35. This is first class software more than worth the price for any home videographer.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2013
This is a really really classy application. Having used Adobe Premire Pro a few years back, it's hard to justify spending that much money when this is around.

There is so much you can do with this application. But with that comes a All I would say is that it's not hugely intuitive. I consider myself a "techie" so I always hope to be able to work something out relatively quickly. That isn't always possible. That said, there is a chunky manual that comes with it, so as long as you prepare yourself and take it slowly, you'll be fine.

My other major gripe is that timeline manipulation is very fiddly. I can't seem to get to the right point without mouse movement. If I've got an hour long movie to mess around with, cutting the right chunk out of the middle is somewhat of an art. Maybe I'll get better.

But all-in-all this is just the right app if Windows Movie Maker or some of the other weaker offerings aren't really cutting it for you. I can testify that the 64-bit version is considerably faster than the 32-bit version (I originally used the 32-bit version by mistake). I also see an improvement if you choose to use the PC's graphics card for rendering (I use CUDA).

Basically, I would download the trial version from the website and try it out for 30 days. Personally, this was a no-brainer for me once the trial expired. What is slightly odd is that it's cheaper on Amazon than it is to download from Sony. So watch out for that if you are considering the trial.

Nice work Sony. There's not much they do that I don't love, TV's, Cameras, Playstations, and now software. A corporate giant you may be, but I tip my hat when you produce products like this for such a good price.
on 11 March 2013
After using Vegas Movie studio 10 I bought Movie Studio 12 as a 64 bit program. The interface is friendly and if you are used to the previous editions, it is easy to come to grips with the new one. It is faster than the 32bit program, but it also freezes when the memory is depleted. With 8 GB Ram the limit would be about 30 clips and 20 mins of video at a time. A point of criticism is the hassle to stabilize a video. Previously it was straight forward - just right-click on the event in the time-line. Now the procedure has changed - you have to add a 'media fx' process to the clip itself. It requirs more clicks than before. My greatest frustration was the fact that it made a mess of interlaced videos like the m2t videos from DV handicams. In stead of stabilizing a video, it created an earthquake effect. However, I think I have solved the problem: Right-click on the exe file and tick compatibility - I made it compatible with Windows 7. Now it works - at least as well as previous versions did.
on 1 April 2013
This software is very flexible and in many ways is comparable with Adobe Premiere Elements in terms of ease of use (there are easier programs out there) and features offered.

I chose this over Premiere Elements because it is a lot easier to control the addition of effects and these can easy be chained together. It has proven to be very robust in usage. The pan and effect tool is incredibly useful and allows you to zoom in on parts of your video or produce very sophisticated title effects. It is also very good value for money, I would thoroughly recommend it but beware there is a bit of a learning curve to get the best out of it; there are lots of videos on youtube that can help!
on 19 May 2013
I purchased this after trialling it alongside Adobe's Premiere Elements 11. I'm using a fairly average spec (by today's standards) Dell Inspiron 545 PC - Intel Core2 Quad 2.33Ghz 3GB RAM, with ATI Radeon 4300 512mb, running Windows 7 32-bit.

As an amateur/enthusiast my main use of the software is compiling holiday videos, working in full HD. For my purposes, I found the software to be a great fit, with the major advantage over the Adobe product being sheer performance. Loading videos, previewing, and applying filters and edits are all so much faster (on my system) than in the Premiere Elements trial, which is positively sluggish by comparison. The UI is reasonably intuitive, and there are some great built-in time-savers such as auto-fade when overlapping clips. Several months after buying it I have absolutely no regrets.

Making the jump from the likes of Windows Movie Maker (or Mac equivalent) to the Adobe or Sony offerings is not for the faint of heart, the options, settings and controls can be bewildering, so I'd recommend taking a course, buying a good book, or watching some tutorials to get you started. But once you get into it, you'll wonder how you ever managed with Movie Maker!
on 9 January 2016
With pinnacle studio, adobe premier and cyberlink power director Sony has been struggling of late and this is no exception.

Awkward, clunky control system and less features than any of the afformentioned products, also takes longer to process than all of the above.

Save yourself the money and hassle and get pinnacle studio or cyberlink power director
on 3 August 2015
Pretty dreadful software - overly complicated and annoying to get to know with far too many options. Outputs aren't great quality either from my experience. Appreciating it is basic compared to the options on the Sony software, but I've found myself simply using Windows Movie maker and been more pleased with the results/quality.
on 8 June 2013
This software needs a certain amount of learning; (it's not for complete dummies) but it is powerful. I had previously used a copy of Sonys Vegas Pro and the Sony Movie Studio has pretty much the same interface so I was fairly quickly up and running. No problems so far. using a Quad Core, Windows 8, 64 bit system. Excellent price from Amazon
on 24 March 2014
This is the first time I've tried to edit and I managed to get something that is semi professional. It took some time but i managed to edit and add text and audio, have some fade in and out effects and sorted out the menu which took some time. Loads of scope for making things better and with the help of online tutorials i.e. youtube I managed it. Watch out for saving the files, make sure you don't alter the names of the files once they are saved, or the name of the folders they are in. I found the easiest way to find the files and put them onto the dvd architect studio (which comes with sony movie studio) was to render the visual then audio separately. Nice one sony!