on 15 March 2013
Update -

One of my computers: an old desktop dating from 2006 running XP, started to slow up horribly on startup (10 minutes+ before the internet browser would open up and even then it would work like an elderly and stubborn mule) - and even hang completely' periodically.

Tried expanding the RAM, changing the startup list and deleting programs - none of which really sorted the problem.

Then a friend suggested I disable 'Automatic Updates' on Norton 360. Did this and, hey presto, the computer was fixed. Works a treat despite its age.

Now, if you do this, you DO need to remember to update the thing regularly manually - there's not much point in Norton otherwise, but now you can choose the time (I always do it after I've finished my work and then go have a cup of tea.) Norton's Automatic Updates stop old machines in their tracks - not just during startup - but every time the damned thing decides to check again for updates(seems like about 5 times an hour) So I opted to take charge and stop it. A small increase in risk I suppose /tiny if you get into the practice of doing it manually every time on shut down. But now I have a working machine again.

I've done the same thing on my newer netbooks (XP and Windows 7 - not powerful machines either) and performance has improved there as well. Just remember the manual updates.

Original Review -

This is the third or fourth time I have bought a renewal for my Norton protection on Amazon. Like all the previous times, the new code worked (that's the most important thing!) on all three computers when I opted for the 'I have a code' link under renewals and it reset the expiry date to 366 days hence. Given that I always seem to manage to go on holiday around the expiry date, I lost around 10 days protection from my old licence - but it is still worth it compared with the official price.

Two of my computers still run on XP. One is on Windows 7 (wish it was on XP too). The process was more or less the same for all of them.

The re-licencing process is fast and efficient - if you are happy to stick with your existing version of Norton. The software upgrade (if you decide to do it) takes a little longer - around 10-15 minutes per machine all done. Last time I used the disk which came with the code and as a result I had a lot of definitions to download. Took a while. This time, as an experiment, I renewed the licence first and then went for the upgrade over the internet. (You get it under 'Support' on the Norton 360 product but it's 160MB per machine for those on limited downloads) That worked fine, but remember to reactivate the product once installed - or it'll think it is a trial version and will stop while you're on holiday. You won't need to re-enter your activation code if you've already used it on that computer - simply clicking the activate link will do the trick.

I got the impression the process worked better this year than before. Progress, I guess.
on 16 April 2014
I have used Norton 360 for the last 3 to 4 years now so thought nothing of it and ordered this as an update for my (then) current subscription. However, since downloading this update I have had nothing but trouble with my laptop and my desk top computers. Nothing wrong before so can only suspect Norton. I have contacted Norton re this problem but have not heard anything at all from them. Won't be using it again and while cheaper than going to Norton direct (which is why I suspect they didn't want to know) at £20 less, I did expect a full working program. Have got to have my laptop looked at and to reset my desktop to it's factory settings which is a pain to say the least. Not a happy bunny am I.
on 18 April 2013
I have given the product 4 stars as I know what it does and I think it is a good product but unfortunately it never arrived (I subsequently paid less than half the price on-line direct from Norton after the Amazon copy never got to me)

With Security products we all have our favourites and you either love them or you hate them, personally I like the latest batch of Norton products which no longer suffer from the memory hungry reputation that they used to historically be plagued by.

As we all have our own product/brand favourites with their pluses and minuses you pay your money and takes your chances but in my opinion you can do a lot worse than buying Norton 360 all round maintenance and online protection.
on 25 October 2013
Unfortunately every year I have to fork out to renew my security software and it grates but touch wood since I have been using Norton products I have never had any security breach on any of my PC's so I stick with what works. The latest 360 is much less intrucive than previous products and I like the backup facility so I know all my personal data is safe all in all a good product and I would recommend. However, Nortons renewal prices are scandalous they wanted nearly £60 for one year so this product from Amazon coupled with the discount deal if you spend £30 on other things you were going to buy anyway came in at £24.99 less than half. Well done Amazon!!
on 2 June 2013
Take my tip & if you want to take your chances with this, don't use it late one night after a hard day when you're tired & haven't much time. The disc wouldn't work, did plenty of clunking & whirring but wouldn't open. Tried to install following online instructions, seemed to download but next time I switched on I only had the expiry messages from last year's 360. Have used Norton 360 for past 6 years & wouldn't allow myself to believe it was the product, convinced it was me so kept trying....the therapist says I'll recover eventually.
No complaint with the refund procedure though, simple to follow & almost immediate refund. Thanks for that.
on 31 October 2013
I have never used Norton 360 before, but have used Norton Internet Security , Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Utilities many times in the past 20 years.

Norton 360 causes more problems than it solves.
It WILL frequently crash your PC and its more trouble than a virus, doesn't stop pop-ups, so what exactly does the 360 refer to, I assumed it meant "All-Round protection", but it think it refers to the fact that once installed, it will send you in circles.

Don't waste your money.
on 4 August 2013
since i have left mcaffee because it has erased windows files (computeur can't get access to internet) any more. since i have a new computer i have protected it only with Norton 360 and i have never, never find a problem with it. i do banking, shopping, and a lot of different think online and i have never had a problem. Norton work by itself, and tell you when things happens so you can tell what to do. you can even protect who goes on what website you can set pass word access. it is fantastic work. worth the huge price.
on 22 October 2017
easy to set up and did its job, but its' scans took forever and I couldn't do anything else while it scanned, also it seemed to clash with other programs.
on 29 January 2014
I've used Nortons for many years. My subscription on my previous version was coming to an end and I got a 'free version of McAfee' with another product. As my previous employer had used McAfee for years I thought I could not go wrong so I changed. Three days later I found a problem with my computer which had gained entry during those three days! I couldn't believe it so quickly bought Norton 360 2013. It helped me get rid of my problem and I've had no problems since. I update regularly and full scan every week. Norton gives me confidence.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 April 2013
My Norton 360 had expired and it was very expensive to renew it on line. I was delighted to be able to purchase this at a discounted price as I had also purchased a laptop for my son. Have loaded Norton onto my PC and the laptop and both are working great. Highly rate Norton as not only does it project your card details for on-line shopping, but it remembers all your sign-ons and passwords, automatically updates to protect you from any new viruses or trojans, runs regular scans on your computer to make it run more effectively and reminds you when a backup is due. It really does it all.

See one answered question