on 6 March 2014
I liked this book, I didn't love it. Alex is endearing in all his weirdness. He is the only person I got the feeling I got to know as people are: contradictions entangled in one person and his struggle to come to terms with them. The rest I thought was rather flat. Maybe it is because of the language, there were no sentences I underlined. Flat language often equals flat story. Oef this sounds more severe than I meant it to be. Well attribute it to me being Dutch, we are a crude bunch. So let's end on a positive note: I really liked the adults surrounding Alex in their kindness and their effort to take him seriously.
on 10 July 2016
Just Finnish ed this book, the first I've read by this author. Made me cry. Basically it's about a teenage misfit boy, who strikes up an unlikely bond with an older American man, and their journey. I enjoyed this story very much. When n reading, Alex reminded me of an intelligent autistic Adrian mole. I laughed, I cried. Worth a read.
on 13 December 2017
My first 5 star read of 2016. I loved this book and it is the fourth book ever to have made me cry. A story about a young boy struck by a meteorite and how his life changes. A story about unlikely friendships, epilepsy and death. Beautiful and funny - go buy it!
on 4 October 2017
The Universe Versus Alex Woods is brilliant. It is rare for a book to give this much so perfectly: humour, sadness, scientific explanation, and human truth. There is great depth and yet the glide through the excellent prose is effortless.
on 1 October 2017
I enjoyed this book and didn't want it to end. It has such an imaginative plot but if it had been put into one sentence I wouldn't have wanted to read it. I'm glad I didn't know what was coming and got to read the book.
on 19 October 2017
I loved this book!! I heard Gavin on the radio and decided to give this a go, it's not my usual genre. I read the 1st few pages and decided I wasn't going to like it but I never give up on a book. The next thing I knew, I'd been completely sucked in and it a wonderful place to be. Beautifully written and the kind of attention to detail that brought the characters to life. It made me laugh, cry, and I learned some stuff too. Everything you could want from a book. Read it.
on 22 September 2016
The character of Alex was likable and believable, his views and opinions on life were spot on . I didn't realise that this was a story in favour of assisted suicide, and really that's only part of the story, it is more a story of relationships and how not being part of the crowd can be a positive thing and lead to far more enriching and fulfilling relationships. This story made me cry, the beautiful poignant scene in Switzerland was perfect.
on 20 May 2017
When I started reading this book I realised I had read it before, but it was just as good a read the second time around. The central character, a nerdy boy who has been subject to a freak accident, which ultimately results in epilepsy, is unusual and quirky but believable. The other characters are well-written and interesting. The book progresses unexpectedly to a fascinating exploration of assisted suicide.
on 23 June 2017
One of the best books I have read in a long time. A tale of unexpected friendships, a very likeable hero and an improbably journey. An excellent first novel by Gavin Extence.
on 15 September 2017
I loved the writing style and characterisation. Both Alex Woods and Mr Peterson were fantastic characters with a more than able supporting cast. Funny, poignant and thought provoking.