Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 9 May 2011
I found "Language of Thieves" by Elizabeth Jackson to be a compelling read and not easy to put down. It is a beautifully structured story that effortlessly holds the different strands of the plot together and the reader is carried through the text at a smooth and rhythmic pace that compliments its subject matter! Elizabeth has an uncanny ability to write dialect that reads both naturally and easily without becoming stereotypical and "Northern", her descriptions beautifully create a sense of place, but above all she portrays the Romany people, their culture and way of life, vividly, honestly, and with humanity and warmth. The story is as varied and colourful as the characters in it and neatly avoids being pigeonholed and labelled. This is as much a tale for men as it is women with a potent mix of action, romance, intrigue, class and racial tension that resolves in a nailbiting climax that will have you on the edge of your seat. Congratulations to the author of this excellent book which is both challenging and immensely entertaining. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 13 May 2011
I loved this book. Its got everything to hold your interest from start to finish. Very exciting, I could not put it down. Very likable main characters, beautiful descriptions of places, I feel i want to visit. Fantastic, a lovely read to take on holiday and thoroughly enjoy. Looking forward to your next book Elizabeth.
on 7 July 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of gypsies in Yorkshire. The descriptions of people and places are evocative and enchanting. The carefree mood the young gypsy girl, Daisy is captured with sinister overtones, as the plot draws the reader further on. The characters are brought to life with enigmatic and endearing qualities, easily planting pictures in the reader's mind.

The regions of Yorkshire were very well depicted, with accuracy and thoughtfulness. It was easy to imagine the setting and the atmosphere was tangible.

I would recommend this book and look foward to reading more by this author.
on 8 November 2012
The worst book I have read in a long long time, cardboard characters, cringe inducing dialogue, a plot by numbers and an ending that felt like the author (though I doubt it was written by a human being) had just got as fed up as her readers and couldn't bear to prolong the torment any longer. I am still wondering why I bothered finishing it at all but I was truly mesmerised by the awfulness of it, I still can't believe somebody agreed to publish it.
on 24 May 2011
"Language of Thieves" by Elizabeth Jackson is the most enthralling novel I have read in years!
This unique insight into the gypsy way of life gives us beautifully sculptured characters set against equally stunning backdrops of the Northern landscape.
Jackson is a superb wordsmith who skillfully takes us on this journey of life in and around the Romany camp sites and annual horse fairs.
This intriguing story of love, hate, jelousy and revenge will keep you glued to each page. You will instantly fall for Daisy and her father whilst at the same time never quite sure what to make of gypsy heart-throb Roulson.

This is certainly one not to be missed!
on 29 September 2011
Language of Thieves is a fantastic book written with great style. Initially it appears to be a romance novel but the deeper you delve the more layers you expose, it does have a romance theme running through it but it is also full of intrigue and can be quite racy at times. The book is about Daisy Latimer a traveller girl who has caught the eye of two men, one from the settled community and one from the travelling community. The story is largely set around Appleby Fair so offers a wealth of colourful descriptions. One of my favourite characters was Daisy's father Samboy who's protective nature reminded me in many ways of my own Pa. The story is beautifully crafted but the main appeal for me was the very descriptive writing style. Elizabeth explores every sight, emotion and theme to its full extent so you really can imagine your part of the fair.
on 30 October 2012
Good start to the book, thought I was in for a good read. Sadly it quickly went downhill with stereotypical characters of traveller folk and the gentry. What an unbelievable main character Daisy was! And oh dear, the sexual content was quite laughable at times. Kept forgetting the book was set in the late 1940's - early 50's, seemed decades earlier. An abrupt and unsatisfying ending.
on 26 October 2012
Don't know this writer and bought the book of the day. Big mistake - well at 99p not that big - unless you are into Mills & Boon, don't bother!
on 11 July 2014
I didn't like this book at all. The characters were two dimensional stereotypes with no depth whatsoever. They could have been taken straight from a "how to write a Mills and Boon romance" handbook. Hero and heroine from different social classes - check; black-hearted pantomime villain - check; lunatic in the attic - check. The plot was so predictable I could have sketched it out myself after the first chapter, but I didn't have to as a gypsy fortune-teller consulted by the hero did it for me. As for the ending, it was so contrived and implausible it was laughable. I also had great difficulty remembering this was set in the 1940s. Apart from the cars which the characters had acquired before the end of the book, it had the feel of being set fifty years earlier. There was no feeling for the period, no mention of the rationing which made life difficult for people living in the late 40s. And the sex scenes struck me as just being added for a bit of titillation in a dull plot. Wouldn't recommend.
on 5 December 2012
I really got caught up in this book as it reminded me of some of the Romantic classics. Its well written and there are lots of twists and turns. You can imagine being there and it stimulates all the senses. Really enjoyed it.