Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 5 December 2012
Every now and then, one comes across a book, a story, a plot which makes the reader go "wow", and this is such a book. Set in the scenic environment near Greenland, the author tells the story in a beautiful free prose, vivid characterisation & thrilling plot that builds up with every turn of the page.

There are many incidental pleasures to be had, not least the way the author combines deep knowledge of local geography, planes, boats etc with an absorbing plot line. It is clever, thoroughly researched and an engrossing read. I certainly found it compelling and exciting – just the thing to make even the most book-weary reviewer feel refreshed.

Throughout, there's a sense of a novelist in total control of his material; the narrative is seeded with incidental detail that becomes crucial when you least expect it. It's a wonderfully atmospheric read from an author who gets better with every book (I can say this having read James Raven's other books). Highly recommended.
on 18 January 2013
I like thrillers that have an unusual story-line and this is one of them. The action switches between the icy wastes of Greenland and Iceland and features a charter pilot who gets mixed up in a murderous plot. It's fast-moving and well written with vivid descriptions of the frozen north. Short book that's a really enjoyable red. Recommended.
on 13 November 2013
CIA. KGB. Double agents. Scientists. Icebergs. Sea planes. Murder and helicopters... All for 69p... Bargain.

I do like this Raven chap. This is the 3rd book of his I have read in a fortnight and I have really enjoyed them all. Like I said, it's 69p...
on 7 August 2015
The story is set mostly in Greenland and is about a pilot who gets involved in a murder plot. There are vivid descriptions of the scenery which added to the enjoyment of the book. I recommend this one as a good thriller.
on 8 August 2015
A great read full of intrigue and mystery. Lots of twists and turns which I am learning to accept with a James Raven!

Of course it is well worth a read and you need a good couple of hours, as it can be easily read in one sitting.
on 24 October 2012
The plot of the book is a thriller. It is written in the first person, so as if the writter was the actual pilot hero of the book. It starts with a routine flight. The hero is then hired to take people (who turn out to be russian agents) to view a recently recovered body. After that they hijak the plane but our hero escapes. He is subsequently arrested by the Iceland police but is abducted. Eventually he ends up on an iceberg with the people who with the person whose body had been discovered earlier. Hopefully I've not given too much of the plot away. The plot is good enough to make you want to keep reading and find out what happens, but in my opinion the way it is written is amateurish and at times irritating and I was surprised to read the credentials of the author once I had finished it. For example at one point the author introduces a character by name and then describes that characters features. It semed more natural to me to describe what someone looked like and then have him introduce himself, because in real life that is what would actually happen. I also thought that the way the thriller parts were written could have been better and then the whole story would have been far more exciting.
on 8 March 2013
Good read. Never read any books by James Raven before but will do again, a most enjoyable book thank you.
on 17 August 2014
Enjoyable thriller. It made a good, light holiday read and unlike most thrillers these days was not over-long or padded out. Becoming a big fan of this author. Recommended.
on 26 January 2014
Another terrific story from this talented author .This is the third story I have read by him and each has been a great read I will be looking for more by him
on 29 December 2014
Story line sufficient to hold interest, but not over exciting or satisfying.