on 8 August 2017
I first read The Count of Monte Cristo back at university, and remember being very moved by this epic tale of revenge (I'd also watched the film around the same time, which I think might have helped make the book a little more accessible).

14 years later, I decided now was the time to revisit this classic, and see if I loved it as much as I did back then. For the most part, it's a definite yes, though there were a few patches where I found myself struggling slightly - Dumas is a typical writer of his era, in that there's a hell of a lot of detail and some very verbose sections!

The tale is a gorgeous one - a long-burning story of betrayal (from the horrible Danglars, Fernand and Villefort) and finally revenge. It is a delight to see these evil-doers getting their just desserts, not least for the slow, considered way Dantes goes about it - the enjoyment here really is in the considered, carefully plotted pace.

There is much in this book that is unutterably tragic; Dantes' relationship with Mercedes (who married Fernand - oh woe!), his time spent in prison with the wonderful Abbe Faria (one of my favourite characters), and the whole sense of a life lost; a life that could have been so very different. That's where The Count of Monte Cristo really stands out.

However, that's not to say it wasn't a little bit over-lengthy in places; but then, that was typical of the era, and we mustn't hold it against Dumas. Overall, a wonderful read and very deserving of its place among the all-time classics. If you do embark on this book though, be sure to set aside a good period of time to read it, as it's absolutely huge.
on 19 May 2017
Fabulous and intriguing. A wonderful read that kept me coming back to see if revenge would indeed as sweet and placating to the soul as hoped...
on 2 August 2015
One of the greatest tales of all time, even now the writing stands up (translations obviously matter). This is the only book I recommend to anyone who asks me for a book to read. Whereas Lord of the Rings is my favourite book, this is much more universal, timeless and accessible to modern readers.
on 19 April 2017
Absolute genius storytelling - definitely among the best works dealing with karma, nemesis and revenge
on 26 December 2017
Bought for a friend in prison. Seemed appropriate.He's getting the great escape next year.
on 3 December 2017
Rollicking good read, pretty improbable plot centred on one man's quest for vengeance, and perhaps somewhat over-detailed for modern tastes, but worth sticking with - and the ending is not entirely expected.
on 5 June 2017
Wonderful book, nicely bound and printed with quality paper, a pleasure to read.
on 9 December 2017
First and only dislike: a little wordy in places, sometimes difficult to follow. Wonderful story though. I really did not want it to end. I had seen a film years ago but the book seemed to make the characters more real. Thoroughly immersing. Would rate it as one of my favourite books. Recommend to all who like a superbly crafted story.
on 30 December 2017
This is one of my favourite books and the movie is just as good! 5* for super fast delivery (Aka Amazon Prime is amazing). The book was delivered in perfect condition and the hardback cover is nicely design with a floral design.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 25 June 2017
Only just started but book has captured me. Very sad tale thus far and great insight into France post Napoleon