on 17 August 2015
Fantastic camera, has so many great features and its compatibility with all EOS lenses is fantastic!

As someone who likes to take great photos without carrying around heavy and bulky camera this is a fantastic compromise. It also means when you are family events you don't look stupid/imposing with a normal looking camera.

With the standard lens it is fantastic at low light shots, the video is good and you can take some stunning shots.

If your recording max-HD video for more than 30 min I recommend the Komputerbay 128GB SDXC (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CX8SJDM). Although not a name brand it is fantastic for this camera with the highest read/write speeds and the cheapest for the size.

There are two downsides, one is with the lens in this kit the autofocus is a nightmare, it will keep refocusing constantly even if you aren't moving, lucky if you get a lens more suited to recording movies (with STM so camera focusing doesn't make too much noise).
The second down side is the hard 30 minute time limit. This is literally here so the camera doesn't get classed as a camcorder and avoids higher tax in Europe and is there for no other reason as the camera is quite capable of recording over 4gb of data without stopping recording. There is a way around this with magiclantern (be warned this voids your warrenty and can 'brick' (make unusable) your camera) which will save your video and auto resume within a couple of seconds. You can see more about it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.0
on 11 September 2014
I was already an owner of a Canon G1 X Mark I and while it had it's uses as a lightweight alternative to my Canon 5DMKII and selection of lens, I was never totally convinced by the G1 X. The IQ of the G1 X was good but clearly not in the same league as my 5D MKII. Also I never found the G1 X's fixed lens either wide or long enough for me in most situations and more often than not yearned for my 5D MKII.

Roll on nearly 3 years and I spot the EOS M kit for sale at an amazing price. After doing a lot of research and reading about it's biggest bug bear the AF and most people saying with the new firmware upgrade it wasn't actually that bad, I thought at this price it has to be worth a punt. It can't be any worse than my G1 X.

Firstly the AF isn't that bad, certainly no worse than my G1 X was. By comparison, the IQ on the other hand just blows the G1 X out of the water. I expected it to be better, but not as good as it is. It really is amazing. In some situations it's almost as good as my 5D MKII!

So, my G1 X has been sold, plus one of my little used L lens and I have used the cash to invest in some more EF-M lens. An EF-M 22mm f2 STM and EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM plus one EF-S lens, the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II and an aftermarket Meike EF-M to EF or EF-S adaptor. The 22mm and 55-250mm can be picked up for very little money if you look in the right places and both are an absolute bargain. The Meike adaptor is also of good quality and cheap. The 11-22mm however is not quite so cheap, but I was so impressed with the EOS M I had to have it. The lens I use most on my 5DMKII are my 17-40L and 100-400L and 35mm F2. With the lens selection I now have for the EOS M it basically pretty much replicates my Full frame set up but in a much smaller, compact and lightweight package and for a lot less money while not sacrificing that much in IQ.

It will never replace my Full Frame set up for obvious reasons, but as a travel camera it is awesome and will be travelling with me on an upcoming trip to the Middle East.
on 4 October 2014
I bought this as my second camera, since my main camera is Canon 5D MKII. Spent another 89 pounds on ebay, bought the lenses adaptor and 20mm f/2 lenses. Now I have a handy second camera, at the same time, a backup camera which can use all my existing lenses. Ppl were complaining the focusing speed. I thought it is quite ok after the firmware update.
on 12 July 2013
I'm a "very amateur" hobby photographer, and this is my first interchangeable-lens camera.

Of course, it dos much more than I want (I think!), but the functions I currently use are all conveniently to hand.

I thought I wasn't going to like the touch-screen interface very much, but I was wrong. The mechanical controls and the touch-screen blend together remarkably well.

The camera is well-built, and feels comfortably solid in the hand (I'm still getting used to the weight of real glass lenses).

Despite some reports of slow autofocus, I haven't found this to be a problem (I updated the firmware to V.2.0.2).

The photos are marvellous. As well as the EF-M 18-55mm lens that comes with the camera, I also bought the 22mm lens, which is also a delight to use.

Really, really chuffed to bits.
on 13 March 2015
This is a truly stunning bit of kit. I've used canon DSLRs for the past 10 years (currently the 60D) and didn't think I'd be able to find a smaller camera which gave me the control, high quality and versatility that I've got used to. I've had this camera for 5 days now, and I haven't touched the DSLR in that time. It's amazingly compact with the 22mm lens, and that's a great lens, I've been very impressed with the results. I've also tried it out with a few of my SLR lenses using the adaptor and have been really pleased and surprised by how well it has done, and how I can use the touch screen to actually make macros easier, for example.

It won't totally replace my DSLR - the autofocus (even with updated firmware downloaded) can be a little slow, and I think I'd be laughed out of a photography job if I turned up with this as the main camera, but I think it'll be used in preference in a lot of situations, and will come along in addition to the DSLR when I'm working, as a 2nd camera 'back'.

I'm chuffed to bits to have got this for a good price, I think it's an absolute bargain for what it is. I'd totally recommend it to canon DSLR users as an addition to your kit, or to anybody with a point and shoot looking for something a bit more serious.
on 8 November 2012
Based on firmware 1.0.6 and lens firmware 2.0.0

This camera is a bit of a mixed bag. I have owned a number of Canon DSLRs as well as point and shoots and the biggest differences between the two have always been focussing speed and image quality (sure there are plenty of others like changing lenses etc but for the purpose of this review, I'm focussing on these two items)

The Bad - if you are expecting focussing speeds and accuracy like on your DSLR body, stop right now and don't buy this camera. It's focussing speeds are much more like a point a shoot camera. Good but not great. I was expecting it to be a lot closer to DSLR performance levels. Also, and this may be down to early firmware, it sometimes has to hunt quite a bit for focus - ie I was at the ExCel convention centre in the Docklands this week and the camera seemed to not like the bright spotlights and varying levels of light too much. I should say that this was less prevalent at the wider aperture settings on the kit lens than when I zoomed in and the aperture narrowed.

Auto servo in movie mode is ok.

Both video and still images suffered from difficulty finding focus in low light situations.

The good - IMAGE QUALITY!!! This is what I wanted - SLR quality images in a point and shoot form factor. The EOS-M delivers big time in this area. I have been super pleased with the results. RAW is what I shoot in primarily and I have been nothing but happy with the results.

Misc -

- there seems to be a glitch as, even though I have the 18-55mm kit lens, the camera seems to think I have the 22mm lens attached (showing in the metadata) perhaps this is impacting the focussing performance?

- Full automatic mode is pretty good at selecting the best shooting mode. There is a little glitch in full auto - if you change from single shot to burst mode, this setting is not saved when you restart the camera. Annoying? Yes. Show-stopping? Only if you are really irritable.

- I really wish the included 90EX flash allowed for rotating the head to bounce off walls and ceilings. The bigger flashes have this but the point is to have a small form factor and whacking my 430EX on there defeats the purpose!

I'll update this as I spend more time with the camera.
77 Comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 December 2014
This camera is so much better than what I expected. After seeing the reviews online and on youtube, I was going to buy the Sony A6000, but at £300 more, I bit the bullet and decided to go for the EOS M.
Fortunately I didn't have to mess around updating the OS to 2.0.2, as this was already installed on the camera. I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality of this camera, and at just over £200 for a full metal body, it's pretty good.
There has been a lot of people commenting on the camera's performance, and to be honest, it's not that bad at all. Admittedly it won't replace my Canon EOS 60D, but it's a great little travel camera to take out with you when you want to travel light.
The best thing is, it's roughly the size of a standard point and click, so if travelling abroad, it can easily fit in your pocket (obviously with the lens detached, unless you have big pockets).
The picture quality is brilliant, as the camera uses the same sensor as the EOS 650D and has a Digic 5 Processor, the camera is certainly good for street photography and scenic shots, but maybe a bit slow for more action type shots, unless you bump the iso up etc you may get some good results.
The lens that I got with the camera is very well built too, again, all metal, and for a kit lens, I am quite impressed again with the picture quality, it has built in IS as well, but unlike other lenses that go with my 60D, there isn't a switch to turn it off, you have to go through the Canon EOS M's menu system to turn it on or off.
What I do miss however is a flip-out screen, as this one sadly is set in one position only, so if getting low to the ground for a shot then it can be awkward, another thing that Canon missed on this is a view finder, so every now and then I put the camera to my eye without thinking.
I must say that the autofocus isn't half as bad as what I expected, thankfully you can changed to manual focus mode through the settings (again no switch on the lens to do this), and I am glad, when in manual focus, canon hasn't missed the zoom option, so basically the screen will actually zoom in (by clicking the magnifying glass bottom right of the screen), so you can get your focus just right, this is especially useful when doing night photography, also make sure you get a spare battery as with this one being small, you can only get about 400 shots, which isn't bad, but a lot less than my 60D can do on a full charge.
Overall the EOS M is a very capable little camera, if you aware of it's drawbacks, for £200, I don't think you could get a better camera, especially one that shoots in RAW, it's not a replacement for a standard DSLR, but I do think as technology progresses, the mirrorless camera is the future.
Alot of reviews that I have read and watched on youtube state that this camera doesn't have wifi, although my 60D hasn't got it either, however, I bought a 32gb Toshiba Flashair SD card, which has wifi, so you can use the app on your iPhone/Android device, or even your laptop to connect, this is brilliant for editing on the go, although the apps available aren't a replacement for Lightroom or Photoshop, it's great for quick edits.
One thing I have noticed is that there is a fair bit of vignetting on the shots with the standard kit lens (not a problem if shooting jpg as the camera corrects this in jpg shots, but be aware of this when shooting in Raw). Lightroom can fix this easily though, so don't be put off by this.

*** UPDATE ***

After testing this camera thoroughly, I still love it, however, make sure you do take spare batteries if shooting long exposures, these do seem to drain the battery pretty quickly. If you want to see any examples, please goto flickr.com/darrenflinders
on 21 August 2015
I feel rather cheated, my own fault for believing all the reviews when the EOS M was first released. Most reviews were less than favourable, mainly due to slow focussing but also for a few other lesser issues. I didn't buy one, until now. £250 for the 22mm kit with adapter was too good to miss and I could always add an M3 body later.

It's a really nice camera. Solidly made, like a scientific instrument, it feels quality. This has the later firmware and so the focus speed is better than the first iterations...it is just fine for my purposes, ie. not sport. I really like the controls, the touch screen is very good and changing settings is quick and easy. The screen doesn't flip, that's a shame but when I get an M3......

Image quality is much better than I expected, amongst others I have a Canon 650D and the results are as good as that, maybe better, plenty good enough for publication. Most surprising is the mid range ISO performance. I found ISO 400 pretty much as good as 100 ISO, that's nice, I can use higher shutter speeds for handheld work.

With the 60mm EFS Macro attached this is a mean macro machine. On a tripod the lens mount is nice and steady. You can take it off for handheld work and then the setup sits very well for sharp shots. The touch to focus/expose is sweet and allows precise focus around most of the viewable area.

A great camera for a beginner and a good backup/lightweight for more experienced users. Amazing value.
on 31 May 2013
Thought carefully before swapping a Canon DSLR and two zooms. Really pleased that I did. The camera and zoom lens are very well made. Took me a few days getting to used to all the functions. Got a very good deal from LCE IN Gloucester. With the cashback from Canon total cost wil be £350.00. All the talk about focus problems didn't amount to much. It can hunt if one tries to take pictures in low light indoors. I understand the focus system is different to DSLRs. In good light it is fine. The quality of pictures in extremely good. Video looks good so far. Not something I've done much of in the past. I kept my 580ex2 flash even though the M comes with a tiny flash. This flash can also be used as a master to use the 580. How good is that. This camera is also very much lighter than my old outfit which means I'll carry it with me more. Thoroughly recommended. FIRMWARE UPDATE. Downloaded update and focus is better.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 April 2014
excellent for the price, the image quality is amazing and i have only shot in JPEG so far. Very good build quality but a bit on the heavy side for a compact, the Sony Nex is slighter lighter for carrying around.

The shutter does not sound like a normal shutter when pressed, just a catch release click.

It has a touch screen, which makes menu navigation easier, you can even take a photo by pressing the screen.

can get the Canon adaptor (around £100) you can use the lenses from the canon EF range too.