on 16 December 2013
I've seen many reviews comparing this camera with other DSLR and, obviously, for many reasons there is always a "but..."
I think people who will buy this camera are looking for something more "professional" than a compact but less big than a DSLR.

If this is your case, this is your camera. For those people traveling with hand luggage, or escaping for a few days somewhere.. It works perfectly.
on 4 November 2015
It fills a gap beautifully between a pocket camera and an SLR. It is small enough to fit in a pocket (with the lens detached) but good enough to take photos to the limit of my ability.
The EOS M may be out of date, but it is now available at sensible prices. I can only say that I delighted with it. I'm not sure I would have paid full price for it (and I didn't)
The picture quality is excellent to my eye, and it is clever enough to give good exposures on automatic and semi automatic programmed settings.
Early reviews criticised the speed of focus, which is now ok. It is not as quick as a DSLR but is adequate and has a number of interesting features, including touch focus/exposure. The focusing is a little limited - there is no fully manual mode, and the size of the screen, rather than an eye cup seems to limit the exactness to focusing, but this is not a fault, it is the nature of using a screen rather than an eye piece. There is an AF + MF mode which allows the focus to be tweaked.
It's solidly built of metal and seems likely to last, and exudes quality. Battery life is a little shorter than I would have expected - get a spare one.
The little flash gun (sorry speedlight) is useful, but not as powerful as some.
on 15 June 2014
I have now had this camera for two months and am delighted with it. In fact I have not taken out my DSLR since! The image quality is superb and it is really portable. With the lens adapter I have been able to use my existing Canon lenses, again with exceptional results.

There is no problem with the autofocus so long as you the firmware is up to date.

I would certainly recommend this camera to anyone regardless of their experience.
on 31 December 2013
I wanted to upgrade to a better camera from my previous IXUS camera and considered a DSLR. Canon regard this as a DSLR because it has the same sensor as their DSLR range. I like the Canon range and looked at a number of options. The EOS 1100D was a great price but it has technology that is already outdated and every review seems to complain about the build. My other concern was the size of DSLRs. The EOS M is an interesting blend of size and technology. It has the same basic components of the other DSLRs in the beginner range but much smaller. But its not just the size. I liked the EOS 100D but its much more expensive and the battery life is apparently poor. The 700D is excellent but expensive and the EOS M has the same sensor. I then considered the Nikon D3200 because it has great reviews and it is well priced. But still very big. What made me buy the EOS M ultimately was the price. I was fortunately able to get it on a lightning deal - and I think that I will be ale to qualify for the £50 cash back that Canon have for the winter. Therefore for £250 this is a great deal.

In reality the camera is really well made. The metal finish of the the lens is outstanding and its a lovely size. The buttons are well laid out and the dials are solid and give a meaty feel to them when used. The menu system and different options are very daunting at first, but I am inspired to take better pictures and will slowly learn how to use the camera better. I have used other DSLRs and know that with a viewfinder etc. that life is easier. But if I go back to what I wanted. A better camera, with DSLR quality that I can use. The EOS M does that is a fantastic package. It looks lovely and is very easy to use. The size is great, the scree is bright. My previous camera had a view finder but I never used it. The focusing is fine. The STM lens is silent and you don't notice it. The only problem I can see is when you have moving targets that the focus could be an issue.

The camera came with firmware 2.02 and lens firmware 2.0. The flash is great. It looks far superior to any inbuilt flash that I have. The only thing that I haven't figured out yet is when to use it (other than when its dark) for example indoors. But when I have used it it has been very good.

In summary: This is a great camera. Fantastically made with excellent components. If the price is right then this is an obvious one to buy. As my first DSLR I am very pleased. Maybe in the future I'll opt for a bigger full fat DSLR, but maybe by then I'll know what I'm doing.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 April 2014
Fantastic price, built and image quality! Focus is just fine and not as slow as mentioned in some reviews. Overall, a great little camera!
on 28 June 2014
This is my first proper camera.
I am delighted with it. I bought the 22mm lens at the same time after reading it was ideal for portraits, which is what I wanted the camera for.
I used to hardly ever print my digital photos, now I want to print them all. For not much more expense than a good point and shoot, the eos m is far superior and well worth the modest extra expense.
on 18 September 2013
The clarity of the pictures is absolutely wonderful. I have just returned from a trip to New York and took over 400 pictures and I have to say every one was superb. The auto setting is very good. Copes well even in the evening without a flash except in very dark conditions. The only downside I noticed is that the touch screen if left on can lead to accidental shots being taken when hanging around your neck (belly shots!), if you have turned that function off the touch screen makes it easy to turn it back on by mistake. Just turn it off between shots is the easiest thing.
on 12 December 2014
This camera was my introduction to photography and I am very happy I used it during my travels. I kept it on manual mode most of the time so I could learn all I can about how to operate a camera.
The next time I go on another trip, I wouldn't use this again though as it had one major annoying feature ...the touchscreen. If like a regular DSLR you don't turn it off and let the camera hang from your neck, you don't have to worry about any of your settings changing without you knowing. This however is a completely different story. So you have to make sure you turn it off and on constantly. Though it may seem like a minor annoyance, I assure you it wasn't.
Now that I own a DSLR and have used compact cameras with a viewfinder eyepiece, I just cannot go back.
Having said all that though, if you are looking for a camera which is light, looks nice, and your just starting out in photography, I would recommend this as a starting point.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2013
A couple of updates 12 July 2013

I have just received the Canon EH23-CJ case, this is highly recommended, besides protecting the base of the camera
it provides a much firmer grip and solves any handling problems with the more slippery non-black cameras.

It is noteworthy that the Speedlight flash works perfectly as a Master / Slave configuration with my larger Metz Flash(Canon).

====
First Impressions

The EOS M arrived on Friday with the slow focus firmware, so let's get one thing out of the way first; the slow auto-focus. I took a few test shots with the older firmware and yes I agree with everyone the AF is too slow. With the new firmware I can say "problem solved".

I gave this camera 5 Stars because it suits me, my 5D was getting old and I was getting tired with the weight and of course I can use my existing EF lenses using the (optional) adapter.

What I like:
The image quality surpasses my 5D Mk1 by a long margin it is just so impressive.
The size is comfortable to hold with any lens.
RAW and JPEG images shot at the same time.
The EF Adapter to fit existing lenses.
A HD movie socket for external mic.
No clutter with buttons and switches, the LCD is really easy to use.
Removable battery.
Made in Japan - superb quality.

Comments from serious test reports.

No viewfinder - I find this is unnecessary for this type of camera after 3 days use.
No integrated flash - The speedlight which was included is ok, but I can fit my Canon compatible Metz.and is far better than any integrated flash.
No wifi - I do not need this feature.
No GPS - I can remember where I took the shots.
No Image Stabilizer - This is part of the Canon Lenses.

Over the weekend experience.
I fitted my 300mm and it is actually very comfortable to hold, the images were pin-sharp - ok it looks a bit silly!

Using the standard lens, on Friday night I took low light shots using the HDR Hand-held night setting and the images were again pin sharp.

On Sunday after using the M all day Saturday I took my 5D out for a shoot at a local craft fair, I really missed the live view LCD but people around did not miss the loud shutter when I was trying to take covert shots.

Room for improvements:

The 18-55mm lens is limited, I will need the 11-22mm lens when it arrives later this month, my 24-105mm lens covers the upper range of the zoom perfectly.

There is no macro function - a macro lens would be a delight.

Battery life is not close to my 5D, extra batteries must be purchased with this camera, it will not be a good option for expeditions with no access to power supplies.

Conclusion:

This camera will most likely suit Canon owners more than someone looking for a compact camera; the price will add up when lenses are around 300GBP each.

The EOS M is perfect as a second camera to any of Canon's DSLR's, or like me, I have now decided to abandon the SLR all together, I just love the quietness, the portability and the image quality.
44 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2013
It's a very well made camera. Feels very solid and good to hold. The zoom lens is equally impressive. The touchscreen is responsive, the shutter fairly quiet.

However, having attached the lens and switched the camera on I could see what the reviews meant about the focus speed. At least I would be able to update the firmware and improve it. Or so I thought. Turns out the camera was already up to date. I can't imagine what it was like before. It wasn't so much the slowness, though that was frustrating, it was the difficulty to focus on what I wanted it to focus on, especially if the subject was relatively close. The focus box is large and can't be reduced in size which doesn't help. For the record, I'm used to focus issues as I have the Fuji X100 - which feels like a precise speed demon in comparison.

There are so many good things about the camera but the focus issues and the waiting time between shots are a deal breaker for me.
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse