on 24 January 2017
Brilliant book. Explains the topics very clearly - better than any other textbook I have come across - with plenty of diagrams. I did notice that it didn't cover the auditory system in the amount of detail that I needed for my Medical Neuroscience degree, but besides that, I found the textbook extremely helpful and it made a massive difference to my understanding on the subject overall. Would highly recommend and is worth every penny.
on 4 July 2017
Very good pleased with condition of book
on 28 July 2017
Good and clear language used. Helped me no end.
on 22 November 2013
Bought as some additional reading for my degree course, this is beautifully laid out and very comprehensive. A good choice!
on 10 December 2012
I bought this book as a complete beginner (at uni I studied Music, and the only slightly-related A-Level I took was Psychology). I've been reading through and making notes and so far everything has been easy to understand, and on top of that very interesting. It's very well laid out.

I'm sure for experts it gives only a very broad view of the subject (there is also the danger of information becoming outdated), but for a beginner it's excellent. It seems to be aimed at first year undergrads, which is exactly the level I was aiming for.
on 11 September 2015
This is an excellent textbook of neuroscience covering both the anatomy and physiology. The forth edition has kept many chapters mainly unchanged. But part 3 "Brain and Behavior" has been expanded in line with new developments.

Those readers mainly interested in neuroanatomy and neuphysiology of the sensory and motor systems may consider getting a copy of the third edition.
on 23 June 2017
Book is fine, however the item was listed as pre owned but in good condition. Sadly I would disagree and was dissapointed to see the book when it arrived with extensive damage along the spine. Would have been happy with it if listed as poor condition ! Saying that only a few of the actually pages seem damaged .
on 1 July 2017
Great book, I bought it because my son is studying Neuroscience at Kings College in London. I thought it would allow me to have an intelligent conversation with him. It did and does. Well written and many helpful diagrams. overall a good book.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2008
I suspect most reviewers here are far more academic than I as my education finished at GCSE :). However I've maintained a layman's interest in popular psychology and brain stuff for years.

I picked this up on an impulse to really learn in more depth about how the brain really works. Bearing in mind my education level, I've found it clear and readable. I did pick it out after reading other reviews and I have to say I agree with them. Well worth picking up if you are either an amatuer like me, interested in understanding in much greater depth. I cannot comment on the detail needed by medical students however LOL. It looks pretty comprehensive to me!
******

Since this review I've acquired many more books and a little more knowledge. I find I use this book in conjunction with Foundations of Biopsychology which is not as comprehensive as this one. The other book allows one to grasp an area in general with some technical details, then this one allows you to dig further into the finer points-specifics of anatomy, chemistry and function. Between the two I'm confident that a solid ground in preperation for a degree in neuroscience is acheivable. Having not done a degree I can't comment on how far this would carry you *through* said degree-I would imagine it's at least a very solid start.

From my own viewpoint, I've acquired two other books that are sat on my nightly study pile that I find interesting and useful at this early stage of my personal learning. One is Netter's Concise Neuroanatomy (Netter Basic Science) which allows me a vastly more indepth anatomical reference at any one chapter of the neuroscience book and also The Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, which I'm halfway through at time of writing. This latter book is fascinating and trying to follow it pushes me to refer back to the neuroscience book to get to grips with the various channels and receptors mention. A review of this book will turn up soon once I've completed it.

Note the comments above only arise at time of writing from a layman who's yet to take some A levels to qualify for the degree in question here. So from my perspective, you can get a comprehensive foundation in the theory from these books if you like to teach yourself. My listmania lists all the books I'm using for this :).

******
Weeks role on and I acquire more materials, and read more. My view of this book has only gotten better however. I've got more complex books on specific areas, atlases and other stuff on had. I've also got a couple of texts that equate to AS/A level on the subject matter as well. I would say that this is firmly in the core text for a degree level and very nicely presented overall. One of these easiest books with depth that I have here. The section on the senses illustrates this with a pretty thorough working over of the sense organ involved, the structure/physiology and then the neuronal involvement, like the detail about visual pathways, down to the cortical columns that process lines, angles, contrasts etc.

Whilst I can't compare it to Kandel's Principles of Neural Science or Larry Squire's Fundementals book, I can say that for it's purpose you won't regret investing in it. Add the pricing which is very cheap for this level of work, I think you have a winner.

*****
22nd December 2010 - 16 months of a new job, gained partly from a discussion on Dementia, given whilst very drunk, the material of which came from both this book and Dr Doug Richards of Birmingham University who's textbook for his course Good Brain/Bad Brain is also highly recommended. The new job itself, required me to learn a variety of things (the care sector and it's needs and some programming/css and bit). This meant my neuro study had to slow right down.

However, this is still the first book I would give to any newcomer who needs that mixture of basics and the science that goes with it, without being overwhelmed by Netter level detailed neuroanatomy. Check my listmania, I have these and other very detailed type books-and I love some of them. They're not the ones I'd begin with-this still is.

From what I've seen since I started, this doesn't carry you 3 years of neuro. It carries you very handily through the first year. It took me 8 weeks to read through it properly when I first got it.
on 28 July 2006
As a Neuroscience teacher I have seen a lot of Neuro textbooks, and this is the one that I recommend most highly to undergraduate students who are new to the Neurosciences. It is written in a very approachable style, covers enough important material to prepare students well for a 1st year prelim exam, but, unlike some other textbooks I could name, it does not swamp or confuse the novice with too much detail. Final year undergraduates or graduate students in the Neurosciences will probably want something more comprehensive, like Squire et al Fundamental Neuroscience, but as a first Neuroscience textbook this is among the best available.
11 Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse