on 7 May 2017
The Little Girl in the Radiator is an enlightening, funny, and touching tale of Martin Slevin as he copes day to day with his mother decline with Alzheimer's Disease. There are tales of his mother's escapades at home and how she fares in care homes.

There are parts of the story that anger me through what Martin and his mother have gone through but he writes in such a reflective and engrossing way that it's hard to not become attached to what goes on.

This book was recommended to me by a colleague of mine and as a nurse who works in dementia care, this book has been incredible for me to read and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, whether you've been touched in some way by dementia or not.
on 9 August 2017
i cried and i laughed reading this profound and simple book about Martin's experience with his mom and Alzheimer's disease. It is nice to see that he found a great partner with whom he could share the difficult times. So sad, but also so true in many families nowadays. from reading this book i have also learned about myself as a carer for my mom, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, too. I would like to have read a bit more about the interaction between Rose and her grandchilden, though. Well, i love the book and have bought, in the UK, three copies of it: one for me, one for my sister, one for my friend Veronica, who lives in the US. My sister and i live in Brazil.
on 4 September 2017
To Martin: Thank you for your honest and enlightening documentary. It has really helped me understand more about this awful illness suffered by my father, and I hope it will help my mother too. You have made a valuable contribution to our lives, I'm sure. And with such candour, love and even humour. My very best regards and thanks.
on 17 September 2017
This got me hooked right from the start and I couldn't put it down. This is such a funny heart warming story of someone's mum suffering the effects of Alzheimer's. It's funny, true and also very sad at times. I loved this book so much I ordered the paper back for family and friends to read. It's a fantastic book. Read it and see.
on 31 May 2017
Very poignant story drawing me from tears to laughter. Very well written by someone who understands the heartache of watching your mother slowly disappear. An insight to relate how his mother felt trapped by this terrible decease.
on 29 August 2017
Whatever else you do please read this wonderful account of Rose and Martin`s journey together. Alzheimer's and the other forms of dementia cause such distress when first diagnosed but it's not all doom and gloom and you will find laughter in some situations. Martin you gave me an insight into what's to come you made me laugh out loud and cry with the cruel way the disease progresses. You obviously loved your mum and she was a special lady to have such a loving son.
on 7 June 2017
This moving yet often humorous account of a son's journey through dementia with his mother reveals more about the nature of the disease than any medical explanation can offer. There are so many moments which will be familiar in one way or another to dementia carers and much humane wisdom and invaluable advice is gently offered. If you know anyone with dementia, please read it! If you don't yet know anyone with dementia, please read it!
on 5 September 2014
If you read only one book this year , read this one.. I was crying and laughing at the same time..So tragic and sad but at the same time funny.. Having nursed patients with dementia myself, I found I could identify with a lot of the scenarios..It comes across very clearly how Martin loved his mother. Thank you Martin for a book I shall never forget reading.
on 15 May 2017
Well done Martin for writing this book and sharing your story. It is very well written, I laughed and cried through out. So sad to lose a loved one to this cruel illness. It is a must read .
on 31 March 2017
I have laughed and cried in equal measure. I am not a carer, I don't have close relatives with dementia but I fear it as I suppose many do. Having lost close relatives and ageing ones too I recognise many of the emotions that Martin has experienced. Thank you for being so open and honest and sharing your mum's story.