on 4 August 2012
What a wonderfully written book.
It made me laugh out loud at the descriptions of some of her antics and cry with sadness when the understanding of the Little Girl in the Radiator is revealed.
I too have a Mum with Alzheimers although Dad is her main carer. I know what a saint he is coping 24 hours a day with Mum's repetitiveness and moodiness. This book helps you to see the illness from the sufferers perspective even though she was unable to verbalise exactly how she felt. Martin (her son) was able to read between the lines of the chaotic mind of his Mum's Alzheimers to interpret her feelings.
My Mum does not hallucinate at the moment but she does do and say things repetitively to the point that you feel you will go demented too, but this book has helped me enormously. It also brings home the difference in care homes and should it ever come to it I shall be very careful to check them out thoroughly before allowing Mum to reside there.
Thank you Martin for showing us the funny side (probably only in retrospect!) and revealing the very sad side of Alzheimers.
A book I would very highly recommend
on 7 May 2017
The Little Girl in the Radiator is an enlightening, funny, and touching tale of Martin Slevin as he copes day to day with his mother decline with Alzheimer's Disease. There are tales of his mother's escapades at home and how she fares in care homes.

There are parts of the story that anger me through what Martin and his mother have gone through but he writes in such a reflective and engrossing way that it's hard to not become attached to what goes on.

This book was recommended to me by a colleague of mine and as a nurse who works in dementia care, this book has been incredible for me to read and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, whether you've been touched in some way by dementia or not.
on 2 April 2017
My father suffers from alzheimers, and often I'm sorry to say that I get angry and frustrated with him. I was recommended this book by social services. Reading this and seeing the way Martin dealt with some of the difficulties gave me a bit of a new outlook at my own situation. And to listen to his mothers experience gave me a lot of appreciation and perspective. This is an issue that will likely become more prominent and touch more lives, and I think this book goes a long way to helping us understand.
on 20 July 2017
A very compelling read, which is also close to my heart, as my own mother is in the last stages of Early Onset Frontal Temporal Lobe Dementia, she is only 61 years old.
She has been in a care home for nearly 3 years.
I have nothing but admiration for anyone who cares for a dementia sufferer, I couldn't do it, to my shame.
I visit regularly, but I struggle to see my mum like this, at her young age.
I would definitely recommend this Book to anyone affected by dementia, whether or not you are caring for the person or not.
It is so open, and honest, and the gallows humour is spot on.
It does get to you so much, that you either laugh at some of the absurdities of situations, or cry at the cruel, hideous disease that is taking your loved one from you.
I could identify with nearly every situation the author had to deal with, from the disappearance and destruction of loved ones clothing,
To getting nowhere with trying to get help from the powers that be, and given the run around.
All in all though, my mother has been very well cared for.
And I agree, not all care homes are the same.
Do your research well.
Nowhere is perfect, but it's the people that work there, that are caring for your loved ones that matter, not whether the paint work needs re-doing.
I really enjoyed the book, albeit such a sad subject.
It was so well written, from the heart, warts and all!
God bless all the carers out there, and all who are affected by this cruel disease.

on 9 August 2017
i cried and i laughed reading this profound and simple book about Martin's experience with his mom and Alzheimer's disease. It is nice to see that he found a great partner with whom he could share the difficult times. So sad, but also so true in many families nowadays. from reading this book i have also learned about myself as a carer for my mom, who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, too. I would like to have read a bit more about the interaction between Rose and her grandchilden, though. Well, i love the book and have bought, in the UK, three copies of it: one for me, one for my sister, one for my friend Veronica, who lives in the US. My sister and i live in Brazil.
on 21 March 2017
I work with people who have Alzheimer's so it was lovely to read something from a relatives perspective. It was an honest and heart warming account of the problems and issues he came across. It made me laugh in places and brought tears to my eyes. I have recommended it too colleagues and relatives alike. It was a great read.
on 31 May 2017
Very poignant story drawing me from tears to laughter. Very well written by someone who understands the heartache of watching your mother slowly disappear. An insight to relate how his mother felt trapped by this terrible decease.
on 7 June 2017
This moving yet often humorous account of a son's journey through dementia with his mother reveals more about the nature of the disease than any medical explanation can offer. There are so many moments which will be familiar in one way or another to dementia carers and much humane wisdom and invaluable advice is gently offered. If you know anyone with dementia, please read it! If you don't yet know anyone with dementia, please read it!
on 5 September 2014
If you read only one book this year , read this one.. I was crying and laughing at the same time..So tragic and sad but at the same time funny.. Having nursed patients with dementia myself, I found I could identify with a lot of the scenarios..It comes across very clearly how Martin loved his mother. Thank you Martin for a book I shall never forget reading.
on 15 May 2017
Well done Martin for writing this book and sharing your story. It is very well written, I laughed and cried through out. So sad to lose a loved one to this cruel illness. It is a must read .