on 14 July 2017
brillaint
on 4 February 2015
Total crap. RIP OFF. "Cleans" itself by pouring out expensive ink until cartridge is dry.
on 24 October 2012
I bought this to replace an ageing HP Deskjet D1360, and chose it on the basis of the space it needed to fit into. I need a printer which feeds paper in and out from the front - not top or back loaded.

A quick search suggested that Epson are quite good with Linux drivers, and following some comments to my original review, I've got this working well with Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10. See the comments to this review for details on how to do this.

It was initially installed using Windows 7 in a VM. This was all fine until the installer suggested that updated firmware was needed. At this point the whole process locked up, and a lengthy-ish call (10p per minute) to Epson support managed to get things going again. The installation had to be completed manually, and I have no idea if the firmware was actually updated or not. Still, it works, so I've let sleeping dogs lie.

From Windows, the XP-605 works well across wifi, printing at a reasonable pace with good quality prints.

As a bonus, it can scan, and print directly onto CD/DVDs, although this is not something that will get a great deal of use.

Two paper trays - 100 A4 and 20 photo sheets, and double-sided printing complete the feature set.

In comparison to the old printer, it's a big improvement in speed, quality and printing costs.
66 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
When deciding to purchase a new printer, I needed something that would match in with my off white AIO Computer, the Epson XP605 Expression Premium Wifi Photo Printer which is available in off white or black absolutely met all my requirements. Have had the printer now for a couple of weeks and I have found the printer to be simple to set up, acquireing the WiFi signal automatically, photo prints even on plain paper are excellent and having 5 Ink technology means saving money as only the cartridge which has run out needs replacing. It also has a smaller footprint than my previous printer, giving more space on the desktop. Would definitely recommend to others.
on 21 April 2013
Got this to replace an HP that had finally cracked up. Within 1 hour of unpacking it I had it up and running on three laptops, set up to Wi-Fi was very quick the printer did everything including automatically setting the password, it was a dream. However another hour later I had all the functions in, maybe because I am not particularly computer savvy I would say just about competent. I found installing Epson connect a bit fiddly, it was a bit hit and miss if the computer would connect to the printer, even though I new it was because I would hit a test page and yet I would get the message printer not found, anyway perseverance is a great thing, over all it was easy to install. I have used it to copy some docs and have printed both in photo and document and they have been fairly fast, it is nice to print from the comfort of my living room, no more dragging the laptop upstairs to print a page. The only niggle I have is I don't like manuals on screen, I am old fashioned enough to actually remember books and like to be able to mark, write on etc. but that is just a personal preference not something I would mark the machine down on. Oh by the way on compatibility my laptops operate windows 8 on 1 and windows seven on the other 2 there was no difference in loading either of them, a screen comes up with windows 8 drivers but I did not need it. If you are looking for a fair priced machine then definitely buy it.
on 30 April 2013
I bought this printer for printing DVD's, and it does it beautifully, the price for a printer which prints DVD's is usually twice as much, I cannot fault this printer, except to say, and this might be my own fault for not reading the instructions, if printing on photo paper the prepared side needs to be facing downwards, I am still using the inks that came with it after printing some 20 DVD's and some A4 black ink pages.
I am absolutely delighted with it.
on 15 April 2013
I've been using Epson printer for a long time now. This model was bought to replace an Epson RX560 as both print to CDs. Switch this printer on, send a document to it, then sit and listen to it whirring and whining for anything from three and a half to six minutes before the document prints! Also, I suspect during all this waiting time the machine is head cleaning, using up very expensive ink! Definitely NOT one of Epson's best.
on 18 March 2013
My main criterion for a new printer was one which was both front-loading and with front-facing controls. This is because my wife is a wheelchair user and she finds it very difficult to view or access the top or rear of a printer. Therefore this printer was ideal. With an Apple-based network, the white finish blends particularly well and the smaller footprint than our previous (also Epson) printer gives us more desk-top space. The performance of the printer is very good - I do not find the "drying time" to be a problem and the colours are true to life.
My one grumble is the connection to the wireless network and/or airport printing does not work effectively. As I have the printer plugged into the router via a USB printer cable this is not really a problem but I would find it very annoying otherwise - hence the 4-star rather than 5-star marking.
on 26 January 2013
Easy to install, very easy to connect to wi-fi, didn't even have to enter wi-fi password, info passed to printer during installation automatically. Did not have to find driver updates, after installation like on previous printers, all done automatically for me. Quick and quiet when printing. Have not printed on any discs yet, so can't comment. Best printer I have owned. Bonus, can now print from my iPad on this printer too.
on 19 December 2012
Very easy to set up with the step by step guide. A compact space saving machine for what it does. Not yet sure how long the ink cartridges last and fair;y expensive to buy. However, I like the machine and would recommend it .