on 10 November 2013
I've had this PSU less than 3 years and up until recently I was satisfied with it, not realising that my Blue Screen of Deaths (BSOD) that occur several times a day, were actually down to the low voltage on the +12V rail - ATX motherboards expect 12V +/- 5% so between 11.4V to 12.6V is tolerable. Mine drops sometimes to 10.8V occasionally and is regularly seen at 11.2V using HWiNFO64 monitoring software.

When the voltage dips too low the PC shuts down or freezes. I've been replacing memory modules and removing graphics cards etc., but all along it was the unreliable power ripples causing my PC problems.
on 15 November 2013
I bought one of these to go in my super monster machine at the end of August. Been nearly 3 months now and its been rock solid. Good selection of cables and comes in a nice velvet pouch. Now at the time I only bought ONE GTX 780 so its a bit of an overkill for my set up but I bought it with a view to SLI'ing in the future. Another reason I chose this one is because it is silent. The fan doesn't even turn on until 50% load. Now you could argue I'm not giving a thorough review as I haven't tested it above 600W but there plenty of reviews on various hardware sites to tell you how silent and power efficient it at those ranges. My pc is silent cannot hear it at all (though this is also partly due to use of Asus Fan Expert 2 and BeQuiet silent wings 2 as well).

So to summarize, this is for enthusiasists who want
1)SLI/XFire future proofing option of 1200 watts
3)Digital Power Efficiency (above 90% according to various reviews)
4)Money no object Quality (i.e. would rather not drink alcohol/eat chocolate for a month to save to buy a Quality piece of kit - I know I would rather do this.
on 14 August 2016
For such an expensive PSU that is considered the "flagship" of Corsair's line I am really disappointed to report that in under 2 years mine died. I RMA-ed it and got a new one from Corsair in a few days. One of my first computers, back from the Pentium 3 era, powered by a no-name power supply which I still have at my parents house still works and this "flagship" PSU died in under 2 years!? I'll definitely think twice now before considering Corsair products.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2014

In terms of Aesthetics the AX860i looks pronounced with its dark and orange logo design. For this is a rather strapping PSU and will fit virtually any chassis but it's wise to always make sure you have the right chassis for this PSU.

The cables are done in a dark black. The connectors themselves are all black as well. The added benefit obviously is very clean looking wiring for that ultimate finish in your ATX case. I am a complete novice, but in my ever so humble opinion the Modular design is the way to go. As you use what you need in terms of wiring, keeping the innards clean and tidy, plain and simple. And overall it is a great looking PSU, slightly longer than your typical ATX sized PSU though.
This PSU is very efficient, has good looks, it is modular, it is stable, and comes with all dark cabling and its drop dead silent as well. The one thing that could hold you back, from your potential purchase, is the pricing. But please bear in mind The 7 year warranty and after all it's a premium product - that is robust and well made.

The new AX series PSUs stand out from many competitors by a good margin. But admittedly it's a crowded market place - with class and proficiency levels being bumped up year on year. Again remember this PSU is highly efficient, it has a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to provide digitally-controlled power and an interface to Corsair Link software for real-time monitoring and control. This AX860i PSU is truly an impressive piece of kit.

on 8 September 2016
I've been trying to choose between multiple PSUs and ended up buying Corsair AX860i purely because of the platinum efficiency rating (with a relatively small difference in price). I haven't been disappointed by the item as a product, but it did have a few noteworthy things that dropped my initial impression the moment I found out about them.

Thick round cables:
All cables, except for sata power cables, are round and quite fat (at least in comparison to older and cheaper PSUs I previously used). I wouldn't be surprised if smaller cases wouldn't fit the motherboard cable in the back side of the case.

Cables with double 6+2 outputs have the 2 pins on the wrong side:
The single PCI cables (1 input and 1 output) are fine, but the few cables with double output have the 2pins on the wrong side and you have to force them around the 6 pins. It's not a very pleasant thing to do,considering you have to apply force to both position them right and when plugging them in.

Power Rating:
I am yet to see the 92%+ efficiency, although according to the booklet I got with the PSU, I am at the right load to be over 92%. I always seem to get a few % lower efficiency than what I should be getting.
As a side note: If you're buying any PSU for power rating, make sure you consult with someone, because if you buy one that is too powerful you will always be stuck at low efficiency (meaning your computer will use low percentage of electricity that's actually used up).

Cable feels just the right length (for my large case):
I have a huge case (Fractal Design [don't remember exact model] XL) and the cables seem like they are made just the right length. I feel like none of the cables would reach if my PC case had the cable management holes positioned differently or the cables were an inch shorter. With that being said, CPU cable is the only one I had to connect to motherboard before connecting to PSU, because awkward positioning of connector on the motherboad and cable management holes in the case made the cable too short to hold it just above the connector.

These are the few complaints I had with this PSU, but it's nothing really major (although having 2 pin in 6+2pin adapter on the wrong side seems like a quality control issue worth checking out on their end). With that being said, I would still like to see flat cables and instead of those round ones. Flat ones are usually easier to work with.

Anyways, that aside, I think it's a great PSU and the warranty alone makes it worth it for me. Only thing to bare in mind is if you take away the platinum rating and Corsair Link is that it's expensive, so if you don't care about those 2, you should probably look for a different one.
on 18 August 2014
Read many expert reviews of this PSU series (great voltage regulation, excellent ripple suppression, silent etc.), which was the deciding factor behind my purchase. It has been working in my computer for several weeks now without a hitch.

Note to prospective buyers: Upon initial installation (everything hooked up) I could not get the PSU to stay on -- pressing the on button on my case (and on the motherboard in my case) only made the PSU flicker on then immediately off. After several minutes of flustered annoyance (thinking I would have to return it) my wife came in and provided some necessary wisdom, saying "hold the button down". I did so and it started correctly. Turns out I was jabbing the on/off button very quickly (almost like turning a key in a car waiting for starter motor to start the engine). I've never had that particular issue (or any other) since.

Despite my button pressing incompetence, this is a fantastic PSU. And I highly recommend it.
on 3 July 2016
I could not recommend this power supply more, I've been using this in my own rig now for over 2 year and it's amazing. I've had zero trouble with it. I love the fact it has modular cable to keep everything neat and without all those extra cables lying inside your system. The power consumption is very low, I've started to leave my computer on for longer periods of time without a noticeable rise in my electricity bill. Along with the power supply comes a the corsair link software that can be useful if you like to keep an eye on your system. It shows all the temperatures of all your components (CPU, GPU, PSU etc.). It comes beautiful packaging, there is a velvet sleeve that the power supply is in and a small pouch that holds all of the extra cables that you don't need in your system. The price is a bit on the high side, but totally worth it. If you're looking at a cheaper PSU I would advise spending that small bit extra in getting this one. With it's 10 year warranty, cheap power consumption and modularity you can't go wrong.
on 9 December 2014
Look - this is an expensive piece of equipment, but... it is absolutely beautiful. I purchased this to go into a 'dream computer' that sits within one meter of where I sleep. The PSU is critical to the fact that the computer is absolutely silent, and is hard to distinguish whether it has been switched on or not.
The digital link and included software appeals to the 'geek' in me where I can see the power draw running at 133W with a peak draw at 237.5W. This is in general 'idle' mode running with only one NVidia graphics card.
Was very happy with the number of cables included and the professional level of cable tidying features.
Overall very happy.
on 7 October 2015
I really like this PSU it works great have had no problems is always silent. If you use corsair link with it though and boot your PC you will notice the fan spin for a second or two and full RPM and turn off which is very strange. Must be some kind of system check on the software that it can read the fan speed.
on 14 June 2016
The amperage supplied is within limits and so far this PS has functioned well . Nevertheless , it's a bit bulky but its working temperature stays around 51.5 ºC which is satisfactory considering the South European environment .