on 25 April 2017
Bought this on January 2016 and it just broke on me the other week on my Xbox One. Been using it to store my games then I noticed when I deleted games the storage space wouldn't go down =/ tried to reformat it on my PC but it wouldn't show up on my pic like my other external hard drives and it wasn't in computer management so pretty much it's useless £60-£70 down the drain.
External hard drives should last more than 1 year =/ and had to but a new one (not this) and now for some stupid reason since I redownloaded my games on the new external hard drive BT have charged me £200 😡 Yet I'm on BT infinity 1 (unlimited downloads) so thanks Samsung.
on 2 September 2015
It died after a year with very minimal use, and I paid a very expensive price of losing all my baby's pictures from day 1. It is very misleading that such a poor quality product has so many good reviews that encourages us to purchase the item despite so many people have faced a similar issue. I called the Samsung tech support and even though the product is still covered under warranty it does not cover for any recovery of data which I'm told can be done (95% possibility) for £500 + VAT. Yes, i will pay as it is an emotional blackmail in my case!!
This was a perfect gift for my partner who is an amature photographer. She always panicking what if her laptop fail to boot and one day will stop working and will lose all her photos and files.

☆Box Contents☆

This item came in a plastic box well sealed, inside was one Samsung 1 TB portable HDD, an ultra fest 3.0 USB cable to connect with your computer or other devices which one are compatible. Also include user manual too.

☆Set-Up & Functionality☆

It is very easy to use, this is a Plug and Play device, once you plug into your computer after a few seconds will be recognised by your OS and ready to use. 3.0 USB connectivity gives you the opportunity to upload or download any documents and files with fast speed. It is working with Windows, mac OS, Linux etc. Another really nice future from Samsung is the SafetyKeyTM protection for your data, you can set up a password so no one else can open your important and personal documents

☆Build Quality☆

Looks very stylish, not as slim I was expected but still really small and compact you can carry easily with yourself anywhere. Durable black plastic cover and only 150 g in total. The price for this item is a bit high you can find cheaper ones on the market or with bigger capacity for the same price but to be honest it is a Samsung product so worth to pay more because this portable HDD will not let you down.
on 14 November 2016
So i originally purchased this hard drive to use as my Time Machine backup drive on my iMac. It connected quickly and easily, Time Machine detected it and asked me if thats what I wanted to use it for. It basically stayed connected to my iMac 24/7 whilst Time Machine did daily and weekly backups. However I had started to notice my iMac would crash once or twice a month and in the 4 years i have owned the iMac it had never crashed. It never occurred to me that the hard drive could be the cause and that the crashes had only started after the HDD was installed. After spending some time with Apple support we basically boiled it down to the HDD causing the crashing. I decided to format the HDD and instead have it connected to my Xbox One for game installs where it works perfectly. Just to clarify since i disconnected it from my iMac i have had no more crashing.

The HDD itself is a nice sleek design and very small. It does not need external power, just the supplied USB cable.
on 14 May 2016
Great portable hard drive. it comes with a USB 3.0 cable that lets you transfer data in a matter of seconds if your PC/Laptop has a USB 3.0 port. The texture on it look's really good and feel's great when holding it. It's not that heavy for the memory of it. It's small and look's great! However for the price feel like a portable case would be good to keep it safe and not let ti get scratched when a bag. It also has a LED next to the cable port to let you know when it's on and it flashed when data is being transferred or when Hard drive is being used. Other than that it deserved a 5 Starts and I recommend it.
on 19 August 2016
smart and small. so far works really well as Xbox one extra storage

Update 18/03/17 - my Xbox stopped working and would not load up for more than 3 seconds. After un plugging and taking back to the store it worked, I came home plugged it back in and again the Xbox wouldn't work. After trial and error it became apparent that the Xbox would only work when the Samsung hard drive was not plugged in. To be fair the hard drive has worked well for 7 months but I would not have expected it to have failed so early in its life. Amazon and kindly refunded this back to me - I will however be ordering the same one again as it may just have been one of those things - this is not meant to be negative, just hoping to be of use to anyone having a similar issue with their Xbox
on 2 July 2016
Well.... Initially I was very pleased with this. Easy to set up, connected perfectly on XBox One, which is what I bought it for. Less than 6 months later however, though it spins up, and the light shows blue, it's not being seen by either the XB1 or a Windows laptop. Run Seagate Tolls on it, they don't appear to show any problems present, but it's still not useable, and contains a lot of games and data that now, I can't even upload to my XBL account, ready to load on a replacement. Unhappy, because now it's too late to return, and I'm left with a doorstop (albeit for a very small door, and nicely finished). Wouldn't recommend, sorry.
on 22 May 2015
This is a Genuine Samsung product sold by Amazon. I have been using this Portable Drive for the past 3-4 months and haven’t faced any issues yet. Its a nicely designed compact drive and is easily portable which means it can slide into your pocket.

Pros:

Plug n Play – Didn’t have to install any drivers. I just plugged it in and it started working. I have used it with Windows 7/8, Linux and Mac OS X (Yosemite) without any issues.

No Format Needed – The drive comes Pre-Formatted to 'NTFS', this means the drive is usable straightaway after removing the packaging. You can re-format it to 'FAT' if you are an advanced user, however for most casual users NTFS is fine.

Fast Read/Write Speeds – I did a test of copying 50GB of files which included music, movies and other small files onto this drive within 20 minutes. This drive is USB 3.0 so to get the fastest speeds possible I recommend using a USB 3.0 port. If you do not have a USB 3.0 port then it still will work as its backward compatible but you just won’t get the fastest speeds.

Extras – There is some software included on the drive which can be used if you are backing up content from your PC, however I haven’t used any of it I just simply copy and paste data.

Cons:

Short Cable – This drive is shipped with a very small cable which is around 0.5 meters. I bought an extra 1.5m USB 3.0 cable so I can use this drive without it falling of the desk.

This is a minor fault and I would definitely recommend anyone to buy this portable hard drive.
0Comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2016
Bought to transfer event video clips/photo's and gift away to associated charity. 'Plug & Play' worked great. No power cable required for the 2.5" drive it houses.
The textured design is very nice, aside from aesthetics, helps keep a good grip whilst holding/transporting. ~Feels durable, after a year of use, still functioning well without issues.

Would recommend,
Was great value at £34.79 at time of purchase (21 August 2015), not sure i would pay the current price of £52.99 though.
on 21 February 2016
I own quite a few external hard drives and while this one isn't my favourite it's definitely value for money and worth your consideration. I've only used this with my Macbook Pro, reformatting was a breeze and didn't take long at all. Afterwards I did notice a slight delay in my Macbook recognising the drive but it's not been a big problem for me. The read/write speed is pretty much as advertised although ever since I replaced the default folder images with pictures it has caused the drive to load content more slowly.

It's light but feels well made and the design looks elegant however it's only one-sided, the back/bottom is plain with a only sticker and the foot grips which by the way are brilliant at their job. I haven't had this one slide off any surfaces yet. It's been about 10 months since my purchase, it's been in regular use and is still working just fine.