Customer reviews

Enjoy It While It Lasts
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 22 May 2017
Gift for grandson - seemed pleased
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2017
Spector, a five-piece band from London, delivered their ear-catching debut album in 2012, which didn't spawn any major hit singles, but was critically acclaimed, and peaked in the UK charts at a very respectable no.12.

I love all different types of music, but indie-rock is particularly close to my heart, and I just love the sound of these guys. At first you might think you're listening to the Vaccines, and the similarities are rather uncanny. Other comparisons like The Killers and '90s Britpop icons Pulp are also obvious, and Spector are very much a throwback to the glory days of the indie-rock era between 2002 to 2008, with a real eighties vibe.

For a first album, this is nothing short of quite extraordinary, with no dud tracks among the twelve. Catchy and fast-paced rockers like 'Chevy Tunder', 'Twenty Nothing', and 'Celstine', as well as sing-along tracks such as 'Never Fade Away', are a contrast to the mellower, slower numbers 'Grey Shirt and Tie', 'Grim Reefer', and the rather haunting 'Lay Low', which is probably my favourite.

I don't think I'm being overly generous at all when I say that in 2012, this must be on the short-list of most exciting, consistently excellent debuts since The Killers released 'Hot Fuzz' back in 2004. Like a lot of albums, the quality fails to drop as it goes on, and 'Never Fade Away' is a hell of a closer. Frontman Fred Mcpherson really is one awesome vocalist, who gives every song his absolute all, and the production here is first class.

Why it is that Spector aren't currently massive, and regarded as one of the country's top young rock bands I'm really not certain. Since 'Enjoy it While it Lasts' was released, these men have followed this great work up with an excellent second album, Moth Boys, which dented the top 30, but more importantly proved that this was certainly no one-off. If you like you're indie-rock music, then this will blow you away.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 April 2013
Yeah I know it's not a word, but it is a ruddy brilliant debut from this London based five piece. Front man and songsmith Frederick Macpherson has made a truly sublime album and has done what seems to be the unthinkable in music circles these days and that is make a record where every track is a killer. Opener `True Love' starts all unassuming and then kicks in with a number that pulls you in and backing vocals that put most bands to shame. All of the songs are what used to be termed `catchy' but in grown up speak they are infectiously likeable. All of them have great tunes, brilliant rhythm and a vocal that makes you want to dance and sing along.

I normally hate songs that repeat lines too many times, but even where it happens on this album, it all just seems to be perfect. `Grey Suit and Tie', track 3 is a lament that starts out torch song ballad to a love long vanished and proves that they can do slow just as well as fast and dancey The lyrics are great too as they have to be on all great records like on `Twenty Nothing' we get `Heard he was your rock, does that make me a hard place'. Track 6 `Lay Low' just gets me every time, and is another ballad one and I got caught singing out loud to my head phones in the gym on this one, I have been asked to be less audible in future. That is how much this record has got to me.

`No Adventure' is another one that starts in a moody fug and then just breaks free with soaring lyrics and a cracking chorus. This sounds like electronic music in places but is really good old fashioned guitar bass and drums with oodles of spirit, heart and perfectly balanced pop - to die for. `What you wanted' has a rhythm you could do a passable dance from `Gangnam Style' to, but with tunes as good as this that would be borderline sacrilege. This is my favourite album of the year so far ( I know it came out in 2012 but I was late to the party), I did think `Fun' and `Some Nights' was a scorcher too and there are similarities, and I have heard that these have been compared to `The Killers' which I think is a bit off the mark, at times I can feel early `Soft Cell' but only a trace and even 'The White Stripes' and hints of Mr Jarvis Cocker a la Pulp, this is back to basics ramped up, pop with attitude and anthemic songs that makes you want to don your wellies and take off for the nearest festival for some puddle stomping to this absolutely brilliant band - let's just hope they are playing some this summer - I can not recommend highly enough.
on 22 November 2012
Have seen this band live twice now, and they were superb !
Frontman Fred Mcpherson really gives his all to the performance and the music is top drawer.
Celestine, Chevy thunder and Fade away to name but three are absolutely outstanding. Cant wait for the second album !!!!!
Spector are. Band who promised so much, but never really took off.
This album should have cemented their place amongst the likes of Kasabian and Oasis etc, but the lack of decent promotion means that a very good album escapes the vast majority of listeners.
Chevy Thunder is my own personal highlight, and to summarise their sound, I can only think that if The Killers met Morrissey, they would sound something like this.
on 20 August 2012
I first saw this band on Jools Holland late last year and I thought there was something unique about them. Now the debut album drops and it does not dissappoint, though a couple of the tracks do sound like B-sides fodder. Sounding like The Strokes, The Killers and Pulp all rolled into one, Spector's debut album does not sound original, but this is a good starting point. On the second album, if they get to release it, they should smash it!

With the singles Chevy Thunder and Celestine A listed on Radio 1, and the album charting at 12 in the official Top 40, Enjoy it whilst It Lasts is the sound of Spector doing just that.
on 1 November 2012
first heard the spector at isle of wight was blown away with their live set did not know they where un released at the time .
had to wait for the album was blown away not heard a 1st album as good as this for years .if you have just heard one track then buy this if you came here buy accident then buy this
on 4 November 2012
I bought this because I wanted an album that affected me like the Killer's Hot Fuss did. Released almost at the same time as the Killer's Day and Age album, I listened to Amazon sound bites of both this and that and this won me over more. While it doesn't consume me like Hot Fuss did, I am enjoying it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2012
True Love for Spector's catchy beats, sing-a-long clap-a-long anthems, energetic, would love to have a good jump around in the Shacklewell Arms on a Friday Night to the sounds of these East End chaps bringing back indie.
on 9 September 2012
Had the Killers better themselves between their great debut in 2005 and today, this is how they would have sounded. This is a smashing album, cracking tunes and great sound. And the singer has got an amazing voice.