Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 February 2013
Apart from the tiresome dancing contest track and the panty rap, the rest of this cd is excellent though very synth heavy. The playing by all concerned is really excellent. This album does get bad reviews, but is long and very enjoyable
on 31 August 2001
Completely live apart from opener "Fine Girl" (which was recorded in a studio) and "Easy Meat" (which includes a largely-overdubbed keyboards), this selection of tracks should appeal to all Zappa fans as one of his most definitive live records. Newer versions of old songs (including "Ain't got not heart" & "Brown Shoes Don't Make It") sit comfortably between newer tracks like the punk-baiting title-track and "Pick Me, I'm Clean". Add to this the amusing interludes of "Dance Contest" and "Panty Rap" ,where Frank asks the crowd to donate "various items of feminine under-garment" and you have a great record. Perhaps more suited to more recent Zappa converts than die-hard fans, this remains a classy album. Not essential, but you'd be foolish not to try it.
on 10 September 2001
Trying to decide which Zappa album to introduce yourself to his many and varied works can seem a daunting task, but you could do a lot worse than taking Tinseltown Rebellion as your starting point. I speak from experience here as the first Zappa song I ever heard was the title track. As I was heavily into Zeppelin, Metallica etc at the time, it was some feat to impress this meathead metalhead, but impressed I was. As a budding musician, I was completely blown away by the band and how easily they could slip between one musical style and another at will as well as seeming to actually enjoy themselves doing it!! Imagine my shock, therefore, when having heard the title track in isolation, I discovered that it had been recorded live! Well, I could have keeled over and died at that point. I realised then that my pathetic noodlings on the guitar were as nothing to the genius of Zappa and his minstrels.
There are so much here that demands your attention, from the HUGE keyboards of Tommy Mars on "Easy Meat" to the 50s rock'n'roll pastiche of "For the Young Sophisticate", the bizarre but satisfying "Blue Light" (great riffage here), Ike Willis' soulful voice on "Bamboozled By Love" and the very silly "Brown Shoes". With a cracking version of "Peaches" on here it adds up to a great package, one that covers almost every aspect of Zappa's range (apart from the orchestral stuff) - it's well worth a purchase.
on 18 July 2016
good
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 October 2009
I first heard this album in 1980 and it was GOOD! Having been privileged since to see Frank Zappa live I can testify to the fact that it provides as good an opportunity as you'll get to experience the master without discovering reincarnation. That sense of easy going familiarity with his audience, the twisted humour, the incisive social comment and the blisteringly tight band. To me this is FZ at his most accessible so it's a great springboard to investigate the world of Zappa. Enjoy!
on 5 February 2013
Another wonderful Zappa album that anyone could enjoy. 12 more words are not needed - just buy and enjoy this masterpiece!
on 19 December 2012
This & You Are What You Is are probably two of my favorite FZ CDs of all time.
Pop the CD into the player, if like me you have no neighbours and a great Hi Fi, crank up the volume, sit back and enjoy.
Make up your own mind but I think that you will not be disappointed.
on 28 January 2007
I bought this album because I was told that it was a good 'first album' for Frank fans. Although I have a few others, I thought that one that is billed as accessible might be worth having. I was disappointed.

I did enjoy it and there are some good songs on there, most notably the title track but if like me you are a fan of the anarchic humour and musicianship of Sheik Yerbouti then this will disappoint you as it did me.

Yes, it's a good album and worth listening to, but I would not rate it as one of FZ's best and think that there are better places for the new fan to become acquainted with his work.
on 17 September 2015
Zappa at his best
on 15 August 2014
It's important to mentions that almost all off this double album never gets boring.
There are so many great tunes and some funny lyrics, which really says a lot about Zappas productivity.

I bought this record when it was released in the summer of 1981, though I didn't have much money at that time.
I went crazy, I was reciting and singing a lot of the songs in public or together with someone.