Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.29

Matt Monro is one of my all time favourite singers. I try to collect as many of his albums as possible. So far, I have managed to find 46 CDs and 5 LPs. I have done a complete singles discography of Matt Monro, and finally, I have found all 194 songs (a and b-sides), remastered them using 32-bit/96kHz. In 2006, Michele Monro (Matt's daughter) surprised us with the release of Rare Monro, a 2 CD set. It really blew my mind.

A few weeks ago, when I was scanning for new releases on Amazon.co.uk, I could not believe my eyes when I saw that Michele has outdone herself by releasing this latest effort: Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro. I ordered it immediately (for only £4.16). What a steal. In this 2 CD set, there are a 66 songs (including jingles). Amazing!!

It is pure joy to read the accompanied 20-page booklet. Michele Monro gave us a detailed account of how she painstakingly went through different record company archives to search for lost materials that remained buried all these years. To the delight of all, the new found sound was still in good condition, after all these years. Wow! Such good luck!

One of the more interesting stories concerned the time when Matt Monro, who was in the Arm Services stationed in Hong Kong. Through the conversation with some producers in Rediffusion Hong Kong (later converted to Radio Hong Kong), Michele found that Matt had made many recordings then. She patiently tracked the source back to Britain: Reditune and later Mood Media who owns the rights. It took another eleven months before Michele finally got copies of those thirteen recordings. These precious recordings arrived two days before Michele embarked on a six month business trip. Managing director Mike Bennett came to the rescue. The music extracted turned out to be pristine. Even though there were a couple of songs on the list that Matt had recorded later in his career, they turned out to be completely different arrangements. She couldn’t believe that they were nearly sixty years old because they sounded as if they had been recorded yesterday. She also gave us details about each song...very educational!

Now I shall give you my own story about Matt when he was in stationed in Hong Kong. When I was guest-cohosting a radio show called All The Way With Ray, I talked to the DJ Uncle Ray, who turns out to be the longest running Disc Jockey in the world. He has met numerous stars, and have great insights. He is somebody that I admire. He told me that when Matt was in Hong Kong, he would enter a weekly local singing contest, hosted by a local night club. And of course, he won every time he entered. Finally, the owner of the night-club gave Matt his own singing hour so that he would not enter the contest again, to give other people a chance to win! What an interesting story!

I was also moved to find out from the booklet that Matt always sang the song My Funny Valentine if his wife was in the audience. How romantic!

If you are a Matt Monro fan, this set is a no brainer. I am making a song listing so that you know what you are getting, because this is not usually listed in the website:

Disc 1:
09 Birth Of The Blues
10 Amor Amor Amor
11 The Nearness Of You
12 You’re Sensational
13 Did You Ever See A Dream Walking?
14 I’ll Be Around
15 I’ve Got My Eyes On You
16 Chattanooga Choo Choo
17 In Time
18 What Makes The Sunset?
19 The Clouds Will Soon Roll By
20 Old Devil Moon (Stereo test)
21 It Can’t Be Wrong (Stereo test)
22 I’ve Got You Under My Skin (Stereo test)
23 You Make Me Feel So Young
24 The Heart Of A Man
25 I Know
26 Twixt Twelve and Twenty
27 Are thee Well My Pretty Maid
28 No One Will Ever Know (1st version)
29 Easier Said Than Done
30 There are No Words For Love (1st version)
31 Love Is The Same Anywhere (1st version)
32 (Won’t You Come Home) Bill Bailey
33 A Few Tender Words
34 All My Loving (Early version)

Disc 2:
01 Once In Every Long and Lonely While (Early version)
02 Ten Out Of Ten (Unedited)
03 Choose (Unedited)
04 Beautiful Beautiful (Unedited)
05 Let’s Find An Island
06 The World I Used To Know
07 Pretty Polly
08 Maria (Spanish)
09 If You Go
10 Lovin’ You Again
11 If you Go Away
12 Two People
13 Por Primera Vez (For Once In My Life)
14 Time To Go
15 Oh My Child
16 Didn’t We? (Early version)
17 How Can I Live Without Your Love
18 One Last Try
19 You Came Along (From Out of Nowhere)
20 I Apologise
21 The Folks Who Live On The Hill
22 You’re Driving Me Crazy?The Song Is You (Medley)
23 You’ll Never Know
24 What Is This Thing Called Love?
25 Day by Day
26 Younger Than Springtime
27 Newport Cigarettes (Jingle)
28 Teem (Jingle)
29 Macleans Toothpaste (Jingle)
30 Mackintosh’s Weekend (Jingle)
31 Zal (1970’s version)(Jingle)
32 Kenny Everett Sketch (featuring We’re Gonna Change The World)

This 2 CD set is strictly for Matt Monro fans. If you are looking for his Greatest Hits, I would recommend The Complete Singles Collection, The Singer’s Singer box set, or even his ever popular Heartbreakers: 20 Golden Greats. Once you start to listen to Matt singing, you will be totally drawn into his singing, like magnetism. Even Frank Sinatra praised Matt for his phraseology: a great complement from the Voice himself!

Lastly, a big thank you to Michele Monro: for tirelessly working to find still hidden treasures, and then unselfishly sharing with all of us…Matt, You're The BEST!! And I also wish Michele good health.

The above set is very highly recommended for all Matt Monro fans.
on 22 March 2017
This is a sublime album with incredible vocal control from a first-class baritone. Unbelievable singing with no critique needed he had the whole package,and the best British singer we have ever produced. That smooth and exceeding quality reminisces his capabilities as a singer and indeed top performer. Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. He be missed by so many people in the Entertainment and Music industry, and far beyond.
on 27 April 2017
An excellent album of tracks. These would not normally be heard outside the studio. I play them in my radio shows.
on 17 August 2012
This is the follow up to the previously released "The Rare Monro" and this newly released 2 cd set is so enjoyable. I cannot understand why such great tracks have lain in the vaults for so long.
There are too many songs to name but if I had to name one it's Matt's Spanish version of Maria which is simply stunning, until now I had only ever heard that song in English. As each song plays I feel it gets better and better.
A wonderful addition to my ever growing Matt Monro collection. Special thanks to Michele Monro and Richard Moore for their work on this project.
on 15 August 2012
Once again Michele Monro and Richard Moore have surpassed themselves with this new release 2cd set. Containing a staggering 66 tracks this is the follow up to the wonderful 2 cd set The Rare Monro. Consisting of many unreleased songs, alternative versions, jingles and "live" tracks from radio shows this is another fantastic collection of songs from the wonderful voice of the great Matt Monro. This is another "must have" to add to any collection.
This set made it because of the hard work of both Matt's daughter Michele and recording engineer Richard Moore who has brought to us many other rare Monro items. The material on this 2 CD set includes dips into both early Matt Monro as well as 1960s and 1970s unissued songs and even jingles. The liner notes tell the story and the voice we all loved sings the songs. Dick Haymes did rate Matt as the best British singer and Matt rated Dick as a great performer too. When you have sat down and listened you will no doubt wonder how and why much of this material got lost along the way. Matt Monro was a great singer and entertainer with a sense of humour. Thanks to EMI for getting these CDs out to the public but most of all a big thank you to Michele for keeping her dad's music right up there with the best of them. Nicely packaged and very reasonably priced too.
on 28 August 2012
To me, this wonderful cd collection is comparable to an overflowing jewellery casket, filled to the brim with diamonds, rubies and other precious stones.
Every time I go into it, I find another Gem that I had not realised was there.

So many songs on there that I never thought to hear sung by Matt are given the "Monro" touch.
My personal top 3 are "The folks who live on the Hill" "Younger than Springtime" "I'll be around"--but a difficult choice with "My funny Valentine" "You'll never know" " It's only a paper Moon" "Old Devil Moon" also in contention. Not to mention some of the less well known songs which all deserve their place on this double cd.

66 tracks over a 2 cd collection is great value---but these 66 rare and previously unobtainable tracks by Matt Monro are just phenomenal value.
on 23 October 2012
(1) It's inexpensive for a 2-disc, 66 tracks CD set.
(2) The Remastering is superb! It shows lots of tender loving care, especially those tracks that are transferred from vinyl, and radio.
(3) Some of the track were elaborated recorded in the studio, but for whatever reasons, had never seen the daylight. Thank god, they are now available digitally.
(4) Many tracks are really rare! I would never have dreamt that Matt sung Chattanooga Choo Choo.
(5) It's always a joy to hear Matt sing. Like Ella Fitzgerald, Nat king Cole, Frank Sinatra and few others, he also has the magic and power to make you feel like he's singing to you personally everytime you put his record on.
on 25 March 2013
How great to have some new recordings from the best singer this country ever produced
I have practically everything he ever recorded so it's really great to have some new material to listen to
Amazing that all these recordings have been in the EMI archives but were never released
I was lucky to see Matt in the famous London Concert that he gave at The Barbican not long before he left us and he was fabulous!
Thanks for the release of this,I wonder if there is anything else left or whether Michelle has any more private recordings anywhere
on 25 August 2012
Long awaited, another 2CD set of rare recordings from this timeless singer, lovingly put together by daughter Michele, and restored by Richard Moore.
All the tracks have an interesting story to tell, and the accompanying booklet by Michele Monro clearly puts the listener in the picture.
Just sit awhile and listen to this wonderful treat, it is well worth the wait.
Hopefully these gems will repeat the earlier success of The Rare Monro. They certainly deserve to.