Not quite the full 5 stars (reserved for total class) but Id say this was a brilliant effort bearing in mind we all love the Reeves films. I really enjoyed the re-imagined take on krypton tech and a great cast. Mr Superman is good in the roll and the film flows well and is rewatchable. Not many laughs but I think the source material and way its going is naturally a darker more existential approach than say Marvel........creatively producers could do with moving into a more adult zone than Marvel i think - the superheroes and villains suit a darker approach......
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 September 2016
I first saw this movie on standard blu-ray and was very impressed with the storyline and overall performance. I bought it on 3D and was blown over by the sheer quality of the production. As always, the viewer's experience will vary as it will be based on the configuration or setup of their Active or Passive 3D TV.
on 7 January 2017
The bluray arrived and in good condition but i was not expecting it have have the "rental copy" splattered across the top on a red strip as picture on amazon doesnt show the rental copy sign so it feels like a cheap copy i have now, not impressed at all with the cover but at least the disc is okay and the film was good anyway.
The first opening 20 minutes or so taking place on planet Krypton is amazing, im very surprised a prequel (before superman is born) of a build up leading to a war.
General Zod (brilliantly performed by Michael Shannon) and his side are class as he attempts to find superman after killing supermans original father Jor-El (Russel Crowe) and being imprisoned in space before Krypton explodes....
Awsome what a great stand alone film that would have made......
After that its the usual Clark Kent/Superman (Henry Cavill) type of film but in a good way but the first part of film is unforgettable. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play Clark Kents/Supermans Earth parents......
Christopher Reeve (original Superman) would have been proud if he were alive to see this.....
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 June 2017
Awesome film I actually went to the cinema four times to watch this on the big screen and loved every minute off it .... I just wish Batman vs Superman was as good but it was not .. my second favourite DC super hero after Batman of course
on 28 September 2015
Okay don't get me wrong but even though I love the new direction of the movie it wasn't really comic book styled as it should have been but I do love the acting and the characterization of Lois Lane and Superman (really digging the suit) and the plot I really think its amazing for a superhero movie but I wanted to see a dual role of Superman and Clark Kent like as in Clark working at Daily Planet and defeating Zod (Michael Shannon by the way? OH MY GOD what a performance he played in the movie my favourite Zod)
Rather than just being Clark Kent becoming Superman and then surrendering to Zod and I wanted to see Kryptonite in the movie which was a bit of a disappointment but really enjoyed the movie one of the best Superman movies I've seen
on 1 January 2016
Nice film and one for the kids (like me!) This is not a re-make of the Christopher Reeve Supermans' and the part played by Henry Cavill is outstanding. The special effects are excellent on my bluray tv and the depth of sound is well balanced ( unlike some films I have reviewed here), the base and treble are correct for the sound level and have been recorded correctly giving an overall pleasing effect. A well constructed storyline with more to follow I suspect!
on 7 May 2017
This film is definitely a grower I enjoyed it when I first watched it in the theatre. Since then having watched it multiple times I can honestly say I think this movie is a masterpiece amongst its piers. It's packed with action drama and has real heart which is missing in a lot of modern genre movies often replaced with snarky banter . It also has a very deep and profound message of how in a cynical the human race has become and how we would treat a saviour if one did arrive on earth. MOS really is a great movie and urge anyone to check it out 👍🏻
on 3 September 2014
I really liked this film. I like the choices made with the charactors, i like the fact that the past is gone through in flashback and fits seamlessly into the narrative structure of the film. A couple of the scenes were spine tinglingly good, such as Zod announcing himself to the earth, and some of the flashbacks with child Clarke.
Henry Cavill is a very good Clark Kent/Superman and has the charisma to carry the role off for the next 10-15 yrs if needed. I felt that the action was over the top, however these are meta humans fighting and the level of destruction is probably in line with the powers that they have.
I am very excited to see this DC universe expanded in future films, and this provides a very solid base to work from.
on 20 September 2015
Well done Top noch Film

Cast other than the Dads were wonderful the CGI is fantastic love the colour switch with perry the baddies were top[ and the mums are the stars in fact I actually like Lane now (Smallville shows the way) the female characters make it the lads are well squerjawed types all very good but its the women who move things along and I have feeling could provide the future story arcs
on 6 August 2016
Upon first watching it, I found the film somewhat boring, but a rewatch did change my mind completely. It acts as an origin story, but it's done in such a way as the way it tells you isn't some chronological "he was born, his planet blew up, every other step in his life" it tells the story in a more interesting not purely linear way, while not creating a confusing plot. Everything was tied in well to the point as the villain wasn't just some randomly picked anybody and hope it goes well; everything was chosen to create the best possible film they could do. While this isn't my favourite super hero film out there, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that in terms of the whole film making process, this is the polar opposite of the latest Fantastic 4.