Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

on 21 February 2016
I own quite a few external hard drives and while this one isn't my favourite it's definitely value for money and worth your consideration. I've only used this with my Macbook Pro, reformatting was a breeze and didn't take long at all. Afterwards I did notice a slight delay in my Macbook recognising the drive but it's not been a big problem for me. The read/write speed is pretty much as advertised although ever since I replaced the default folder images with pictures it has caused the drive to load content more slowly.

It's light but feels well made and the design looks elegant however it's only one-sided, the back/bottom is plain with a only sticker and the foot grips which by the way are brilliant at their job. I haven't had this one slide off any surfaces yet. It's been about 10 months since my purchase, it's been in regular use and is still working just fine.
on 5 November 2017
Samsung are my favourite HDD manufacturers, over Seagate and Western Digital. There was a reason but it was so long in the past I don't even remember - like the cause of a long ago argument.

Needless to say, this is a high quality HDD and performs well. Very sturdy - I have dropped mine many times and have had no issues whatsoever.

I've partitioned mine for a USB Live OS, a music production drive, and 2 separate archives. With 4 partitions I have seen no performance loss, which is very nice.
on 12 December 2015
I use this hard disk as a time machine back up disk for my MacBook. The USB 3.0 functionality ensures decent transfer speeds while the size means I can fit it into a laptop sleeve if needed.

A few negative points to note however:

- this is 2011 technology, the disk speed should be 7,200 which would give a 33% faster transfer speed, instead it's 5400
- the transfer speed is capped to 480 Megabytes Per Second, most other drives are at 625

That being said it is a VERY reliable drive. I would recommend this as a daily backup drive. It is not suited to the heavy demands of a dump for video files while editing or for any large files that demand very rapid access.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the drive, for the price it's a great bargain!
on 16 October 2016
I have bought 5 of these Samsung external hard drives..........why?, because I bought 2 to store my huge amount of photos (from an older hard drive that failed and luckily I got the data back) and they still work perfectly.......but never trust an external hard drive! (EVER), they will all break down one day, for sure!!!!..........so back up. back up, back up!!!!!............this is not an advert for buying anything, I personally would want external Solid State Drive storage for all my precious files but it's too expensive for me right now.........so I got five 2 TB M3 Samsung's in the mean time and it's working OK for now..................i've given 5 stars but don't forget, NEVER fully trust a HDD........EVER!, because it will fail on you one day and they are also easy to damage in an accident!...........but I still give 5 stars for my experience of this product, just don't trust a single HDD for all your treasures, it's a recipe for sadness................when one of mine fails i'll back it up again from the copied version.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2016
It does what it's supposed to do.

The price is £30 more than it was when I bought one. I sent it back as I wanted to take out the 2.5" drive to put it into my PS4, the problem was that this drive is soldered to the USB3 circuit board. Not a bad thing if you are using this drive as a portable hard drive, but it limits the flexibility of the product.

As a portable drive, it's nice and solid, seemed to be well made, it's a reasonable weight. All in all it does it's job well.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 September 2015
I purchased this as a backup hard drive as I had filled my other. I found it easy to use with windows 7 and I haven't found it over heating or any issues with loading it as of yet. I had no issues with loading the information needed to run the hard drive. It immediately downloaded itself. It is also a nice looking portable hard drive. I also thought it was an excellent price at 39.99, although I have seen the price of it go down. This being a samsung portable hard drive was a very competitive price even with lesser known brands. Excellent and I would definitely purchase again. I would highly recommend if you are looking for a 500 GB hard drive.
on 28 September 2016
Bought this to go with my Hisense 4K Tv and enable the PVR functionality. Connected it up to the USB3 port and the drive was ready to use immediately, no reformatting required, it works flawlessly!

Also managed to pick it up from the Amazon Warehouse for silly money - so makes it an even greater purchase!

Very pleased!
on 8 March 2015
I purchased this portable hard drive to replace my small unreliable USB sticks that I either kept losing or corrupting. This has lasted longer than any other hard drive I have purchased before. A sturdy designed casing surrounds the works inside, giving it superb protection from taps and bumps that may occur. The Samsung M3's unique pattern and matte finish definitely puts up with a lot of abuse and any scratches that mine has sustained don't show up at all.

On to the technical side of things the transfer rate is what you expect a portable hard drive to be capable of. 1TB is plenty of storage for anyones needs no matter what your student or work life pertains to.
on 1 November 2015
Excellent sized hard drive offering plenty of storage space and the price paid per GB of space was very acceptable.

Good that is requires no mains power source, runs straight off the USB port on the computer. Data transfer speeds are good.

The textured surface is a little different and stands out among other hard drives I own. The body and colour has stood the test of time well not scratching up like the glossy finish Western Digital drives I have that look like they have been dragged through the dirt in comparison to this Samsung one.
on 10 May 2013
I bought this because i needed a new hard drive that would be able to work when the television was in standby mode, that was for timer recordings, the previous 2 items i had bought did not work for this purpose, thankfully it was third time lucky and this model works flawlessly as a hard drive recorder.

I am really pleased with the size and quality of the drive, it's tiny and gets power via the USB socket of the TV, technology keeps getting smaller and cheaper, 1 terabyte for £57.99 is a bargain, no plugs needed for power, just one cable from the drive to the TV, i did a test on the laptop too and it also works perfectly, so it's good to buy if you want a PVR for your TV or as backup storage for your computer.

I knock one star off because the USB cable was barely long enough to reach the TV's USB input, i had to move it to the top shelf of the stand when i wanted it on the middle part of the stand, this is a short term review just to inform people it works perfectly as a TV recording device, i will come back and amend the review if the drive doesn't last but fingers crossed that it will have long term reliability.