on 17 October 2012
I really like this great Passion and I do not abhor barroque music played on modern instruments, so I'm enjoying this blu-ray a lot.

The boys choir (the Thomanerchor Leipzig) is not perfect technically speaking (I think few boys choirs are perfect), but this choir has some kind of magic for me and I can't forget that J.S.Bach was its Kantor when he wrote this great Passion (and probably this Passion was first performed in the church where this recording has been made, the Thomaskirche in Leipzig).

The vocal soloists are really nice, specially the wonderful bass-baritone Klaus Mertens (who did an incredible work recording the complete Bach Cantatas with Ton Koopman), singing here as Jesus. The countertenor (Stefan Kahle) does a great work too. He's very young and I think he has a great potential.

The conductor is Georg Christoph Biller (who is the Thomaskantor at present). I think he does a nice work, though some tempi are too fast for me.

Both audio and video are superb.

Please excuse my English, English is not my mother tongue.
on 25 October 2012
Just as the Harnoncourt St John Passion with the Tölzer Boys Choir is the definitive Bach St John Passion on DVD to date, so this must surely be the definitive St Matthew on DVD. Biller and the Thomanerchor show us why Bach was the unsurpassable genius he was. This is a truly moving performance. One's only regret is that Biller, unlike Harnoncourt, couldn't trust that he had a boy singer capable of performing the soprano arias. His recordings of the cantatas suggest that here he was mistaken. Otherwise all the soloists are amazing - the evangelist and the alto soloist particularly are truly moving in both the skill of their singing and the emotional power of their interpretation. One hopes Bach had such talent to interpret his work - what an experience it must have been for the St Thomas congregation! Thanks to Biller's musicianship and his profound dedication to the task of being a worthy successor of the great Thomaskantor we can sense a good deal of that. Buy this DVD and be moved.