on 24 February 2015
I bought it for passport scanning in order to find the beautiful patterns on pages. However, it didn't work. I couldn't see the colourful parrtens when scanning my passport pages, only purple-coloured patterns could be seen (the expected patterns under UV light should be colourful, not only purple). I don't know whether there was problems on my passport or in this torch.

If anyone of you know why this happens, please let me know.
on 17 March 2017
I use this for curing resin on fishing flies I make by hand. It does the job just fine.
on 18 November 2014
I trained as an electronics technician and so I always test products I have brought. Why? because I am fed up with being ripped off by false claims of how bright a torch is or how high a capacity a battery is.
Using a brand new fully charged good quality 3.7V cell I checked the current flow which tested at a maximum 0.42 amps. So this gives. 3.7V x 0.42A = 1.55 watts not the 3 watts as stated.
on 16 November 2013
Very bright UV for spotting urine marks and general organic material.
Also works great for fluorescein dye.
But, because the UV light output spectrum is very narrow it does not emit the UV needed to show all the UV marks on UK bank notes.
It will show up the green "flecks", but NOT the main multicoloured "value" mark usually found in the top middle of the notes. ( This mark is the most obvious mark when using UV. )

It does get warm quite quickly but I am not one for leaving the thing on very long.

The UV needed for bank notes is 365nanometers and below.
Most LED UV lights are above 365 and the Bank of England recommend not using LED UV lights for the checking notes.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2013
This torch is great although it does give off some visible light along with the ultraviolet which is not so much of a problem as I can filter out visible light if needs be. I tested it using some fluorescent stickers in the dark. First I used a conventional high powered Cree torch and despite a number of minutes exposure the stickers failed to glow when the torch was switched off. However just a few seconds exposure with this ultraviolet torch and wow the stickers glow brilliantly for ages. Not that I bought this to illuminate stickers it is more for forensic sturdy of substances that fluoresce or are highly reflective under ultraviolet light. The product is as described takes Batteries: Lithium 2xCR123A/RCR123A,1x18650 (Not Included) which can be purchased easily enough on Amazon.
on 28 September 2013
This appears to do its job but before we could use it we had to try & find batteries for it. Eventually found them at Boots but they were almost £14 for the two that is required. Lets hope the batteries last a long time as we use this torch daily
on 1 November 2014
Not branded (as shown in photo) and takes batteries that cost twice as much as the item. Gently complained before writing this- received no reply. AWFUL!
on 14 May 2014
Broke the first time I ever turned it on do not buy this item it might have a good price but your paying for scrap
on 18 June 2014
Useful for a multitude of things. Checking Banknotes, curing adhesives. Anywhere you want a not heating UV source. Runs for ever on a ultra-fire battery. Good for finding mouse droppings, tracking ant runs. Oil or coolant leaks, fish tanks, crack detection in glass.
on 13 June 2014
Not brilliant and as no batteries were included having difficulty finding the expensive batteries needed, not recommended as there seem to be better alternatives